Need Portfolio Help !
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Need Portfolio Help !

I'm a second year Industrial Design major and i'm looking at my work and the way i'm presenting it and just not satisfied. I feel i need to learn more about how to better display my ideas. i can draw them, just presenting them i think is hurting me could anyone be ever so kind as to help me out by showing me how you present or just some advice? thank's to all who read this.

-Jason

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Define "presenting." The actual ideas/work, what you display them with, or the act of presenting an idea?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When it comes to presentations one has to have a sense of showmanship.

It might also help if you mention how it is you're presenting now. What is it you don't like? Is your material presented mounted on foamcore? Powerpoint presentation? Are there models? Are there style boards included? How much of it is written?

There isn't a generally accepted correct way to present unless a client or an instructor has a certain criteria (such as 24" x 36" black foamcore- all mounted, etc.). It also depends on the product/ service that you're trying to pitch as well.

One thing that I try to do during my presentations is to at least set a mood long before I pitch the idea. Try to possibly utilize images, icons, or other things to set up your pitch. Get the client/ instructors prepped for the big unveiling of your idea. If your reveal is on boards, don't show it off until you're ready. Don't give away the big splash until the payoff. Make an impact if you can.

I've always used the analogy of a Broadway musical (corny but effective)- start off with a nice song & dance, tell your story and then come back with a big splash at the end to wrap it up as well.

Again, there are a mulititude of ways; each product or presentation is different. Think about your audience demographic- is it for them? Think about the venue in which you're presenting (tiny type in a huge cavernous auditorium generally doesn't read well). Can the person in the last row see what it is you're doing? Can they hear you? Again, it all has to do with some showmanship and a wee bit of theater.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Storyboard thanks man, that helps a lot. as far as presenting i meen page layout. once i have the sketches i throw them in photoshop do some layout and present. my layout is the sketchy area.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbusconvict View Post
    Storyboard thanks man, that helps a lot. as far as presenting i meen page layout. once i have the sketches i throw them in photoshop do some layout and present. my layout is the sketchy area.
    It might be worthwhile to take your scans and have them placed into an InDesign or Quark document. Both of these are more desktop publishing programs. The reason I suggest those programs is that it might be worthwhile for you to design a grid in those programs and hang your images off of that grid. That way all of your panels will at least have a uniform look to them.

All quality multi-page publications are based off of some sort of grid. Take a look at any magazine or book and underneath it all is a grid system. There are plenty of good graphic design books on designing good grids out there as well. Another nice thing about Quark & InDesign is that you can create master pages where certain design elements remain constant; you won't have to recreate them for every page.

Try not to crowd too many elements onto each page as well. Pace out what it is you want to talk about. Simplify your message and remember your audience.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you sir ! i get it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.