Feng's DVDs

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Feng's DVDs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Feng's DVDs

Just in case anyone is interested, I understand that the concept artist Feng Zhu has teamed up with the Gnomon Workshop to produce four instructional DVDs, which the site says will begin shipping September 29. Here are the links;

Vehicles
    Environments
    Sketching
    Digital Painting

David

Last edited by sandman; September 20th, 2003 at 09:52 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are they easy to follow & helpful?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome!

Feng has always been one of my all time fave artists, and this is great stuff! Theyre a bit expensive though and shipping from the US is a bit annoying, but hey, i think itd be worth it! Ive always wanted to just be able to WATCH a pro do what he does, just to see how it all works, even just for once

nicies!

and as for are they good? well, theyve got the best in the buisness kissing their asses, so they must be!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I´ve all of them and they are amazing. He speaks while he´s working talking about all the process, tips&tricks, etc.... (I can understand him even with my crappy english level) and you can see "how easy" he does his work.

It´s worth every eurocent i´ve paid for them.

I totally recomend them!

Jaku

home is where the heart is. mb if i had a heart id have home....
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    they might seem expensive at 1st but if you look at it like taking a art class for a school quarter theres really nothing big about the cost for what you gain if you apply it. my friend got digital painting and it was so good to the point hes going to buy one momre and im going to buy the other two and were gonna trade off.

Fen Berserke Kirta Morta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I ordered a coupla these, hope I don't feel ripped after viewing them. They look pretty cool, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just finished watching them all. I found enviromental drawing, and digital painting to be the most valuable. For the most part they generally follow this format:

1 drawing and all the steps from concept to completion. Very well done, but he really dosent spend too much time on fundementals such as perspective. You are expected to have a general understanding perspective works. which is good.

Then another drawing that is done time lapse with Feng doing a voice over. He slows it down at the important parts. Works well.

The bonus material is short sections on, perspective, warmup, drawing materials, and something else .. cant remember. They are all pretty good.

All in all I found them most valuble if you work along with them. Just watching Feng can show you a lot. It also does help to have similar supplies as him. ( a list can be found on his webpage.) and a photocopier or laser printer handy.
    J

Last edited by Dirty-J; October 24th, 2003 at 08:41 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thx, Dirty J. In fact the two you mentioned are, coincidentally, the two I ordered!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    god i hate the exchange rate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Feng Zhu DVDs - Character Sculpture 1 & 2

For those of you who have the Character Sculpture DVDs, I was wondering what you thought about them? Are they any good? Do they go into sufficient detail?

-f

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the sculpture dvds are not with Feng. They are just packaged in the same bundle. They are by another guy. Havent watched them yet

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just so you know, these are technique DVDs, not really much about concepting or how to work through a design as much as how to get it down on paper. Go into them with that in mind and you won't be disappointed. Think of them as good in-class demos by a visiting instructor. I would have preferred more on the how and why of shape selections and interaction, sketchbook, layout, the meat of a design, but it is good to have basics reinforced, and you definitely get a strong sense that Feng's process remains constant and he is very much in charge of what's going down on the page. Important lesson in and of itself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, I was happy with the purchase. A good value. I kept falling asleep in the middle of his drawings, though. They are drawn in real time, so they can be a bit long. Don't sit in a recliner while watching.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello,

I was wondering if there is much difference between the sketch and vehicles sketch DVD. If you look at the 'topics covered' section is seems the vehicle DVD teaches you actually more about sketching and design techniques!
    My purpose is to improve my overall sketch technique and 'feel' for aesthetics, proportions, etc. I like to draw vehicles as well as people and products.

Thanx,

Martijn

Thanks
    Thanked 2,163 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I love feng's art, but 70 bucks? I'm a semi broke 15 year old, but I'm thinking of getting one of these for christmas. Currently I'm interested in mech/vehicle design so I thought I'd go for the vehicle one. Any comments on that one? And does anyone know the total number of minutes of material on one of these? So, should I get one? Will I learn anything? Will I be able to draw better (with applied practice in mind)?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd say you could learn something, though if you already have videos like this, I dunno. I look at it against the value of an over-priced video game and then ask myself which one will I need more. of course, I am many years older and have lots more disposable income to waste.

I'd say it's about 2 hours total, though I don't have the vehicle design one. rather, I have the environmental design and digital painting ones.

Good luck, Silvir. I'd say a good perspective book might serve you better, though I don't know how well you draw-- or what perspective you already know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the input skatay, I was starting to wonder if anyone had read my post. Anyways, I think I'll be getting the vehicle one for christmas, and then maybe if I really like it I'll save up for the concept/sketch one. Right now I'm looking around on ebay for a deal on one (or both) of them. I found a fairly nice deal which would save 40 bucks if I buy 1 & 3 (the ones I want). That's for the 'buy-it-now' option though, bidding might be cheaper... Choices...

Anyways, do you have a reccomendation for a good perspective, it's an area in which I'm heavily lacking. Thanks again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Analog bundle

I just got through watching all of the analog bundle series and I would say that professionally I will make my money back on I what I "learnt". It wasn't so much as what I learnt but more of what I needed a reminder of, or lacked a word for but have always been doing. It's nice to get confirmation on working habits and ideas and processes of working that I might not really be sure of. I'm always on the look out for better ways of doing things artistically. Interesting ways of thinking and so on.

All in all I give the complete analog bundle 3 out of 5 (1=money back 5=couldnt live without it).

The digital painting DVD could be much longer, bringing the painting(s) to a much more finished level instead of working on 2 different paintings. Also I think, but I'm not sure, that Feng comes from the Industrial design side of schooling and not from the fine artist side of schooling, which is noticable in his color work.
    Call it more digital color sketches than digital painting if you will, even if the process is the same and you "just" have to spend more time on each painting to refine them.

Hopefully Gnonom will do a new digital painting DVD featuring Craig Mullins (Final Fantasy), Erik Tiemens (Episode 1), Ryan Church (Episode 1), Allen Gonzales (Disneys Dinosaur), Jim Aupperle (Disneys Dinosaur) or Paul Lasaine (LotR, Two Towers and personal fav. previz artist).

The vehicle and enviroment dvds where fine. I especially liked how he did the voice over and the camera work whilst working, very good, very clear. I wish he would have mentioned if he work on matt or glossy paper. It actually looked like he was working on animation paper, because it was punched.

The maquette and armatures dvds where defintantly the most valueable for me. Not only because I have very limited experience of maquette work but also because it's so nice to previz in sculptures. I was a little disappointed that he didn't do a super sculpty sculpt at a smaller scale and I was very disappointed that the bonus feature was simply a video portfolio of his sculptures. Not very insightful.

I recommend these dvds to anybody who has about 1-5 years experience from the business. For people with more professional, production experience than that I'd say put the money on books like "film directing shot by shot" "producing animation" clay sculpting for digital media" "Color choices – making color sense out of color theory" and "quick and easy solutions to marker techniques". Not to mention all the wonderful making of books out there. Like the one on Nightmare before christmaas. Excellent.

One last note that has already been mentioned in this thread – these dvds don't really have much to do with concept art. They could be designing a new car or whatever. There's not much talk about concept design for the entertainment industry at all. It would be interesting to hear the thoughts behind the process of designing for a specific sci fi or fantasy feature script or a computer game. Hmmmm, that gave me an idea…

Cheers,
    Leopoldo

Portfolio at www.fabpics.com/leo

www.fabpics.com

"To achive the impossible you have to attempt the absurd."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool

I just finished watching Feng's Quick Sketching disc twice, and I have to say that I liked it very much. Seeing someone else's technique at work is very interesting to me, and you get to see him complete sketches using different mediums. Even if you don't particularly want to draw in that stlye, just watching this sort of thing in action makes you think about how you do things and forces you to rethink your approach. Definitely worth the $$ to me. And I especially liked the warm-up exercises, which I now do regularly. ghost, ghost, ghost... drop da line Hehe... Thanks Feng. I'll be getting the other three discs in short order :cool:

- blind

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there is a 40% discount for students if you buy the DVD from gnomon. not to shabby at all.

and if anything the dvd are pretty much what he covers in the class room. mater of fact its the same.

granted you don't get to show him your stuff- get some industry story’s which makes the class well worth the 400 bucks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Poly_Cube: Is that 40% discount for students of the college Feng teachs at, or any college?

I think I'll be getting one of them for Christmas, just need to get my dad looking for one on ebay.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everyone,

I would like to jump in. I took Feng's class at Gnomon a year and a half ago. It was great to see a artist of that caliber work and in real time! I'll say this my background in perspective at the time was really limited and he doesn't go deep into perspective at the time. I could not execute the way he did by the end of the semester( of course I wouldn't be able to, Feng is Feng and he knows perspective like the back of his hand) but I was a better artist than when I started the class. that means alot to me. It took him many years and hours upon hours of practice so by the end of 10 weeks I dont' expect many of artist to reach the same results as him.

with this in mind, treat the Dvd as a constant teacher. understanding theory is really more efficent than learning a how to. After some time with the dvd you will probably see some things new and understandable that you didn't see the first couple of viewings.

I paid 400 dollars for the class so 70 dollars is definitely worth it. I will probably buy a dvd or 2 this christmas so I can add to my library.

also because I didn't fully understand perspective all too well after his class I took a private class with the guy who taught Feng perspective......Scott Roberston www.drawthru.com

glad to join in

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The website says that the discount is 29%.

Is there anybody in the Pittsburgh area that wants to lend me their feng DVD for a while?

Members who have read this thread: 1