Mac user seeks scanner recommendations
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Mac user seeks scanner recommendations

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Mac user seeks scanner recommendations

I just picked up the newest HP Photosmart. It is Artdumb. The settings and options are so geared towards photos I literally can not use this thing for scanning drawings.
    Who here has a scanner that they are really happy with, and what are you using? Does anyone here have an art-specific or large format scanner?
    I'm not bargain shopping, I want anything that does a good job and hasn't succumbed to photo-fever.
    Printer-scanners are even better because that's what I'm replacing.

Thank you for the input!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    way to imply that photography isnt art.

are you just frusterated that most scanners are 9x12" (roughly) and that its a pain to scan bigger works? i understand that complaint.

...but quality of images which fit within the scanning surface shouldnt be too much of an issue. ive used a HP g4050 lately... which is a photoscanner, and an epson perfection 4490 photo . they do a terrific job with illustrations of ink/graphite/etc. i'm a bit confused because ive never had a problem with getting good quality, i mean geez the things are designed to scan detail from a silver gelatin print, what kind of absurd tonal range and detail are you looking to scan that could be more complex?

i'm thinking you may be having difficulty with the software and manipulating it to give you the desired effect. you should have the capacity to accurately render the image as you want (unless its a faulty piece of equipment).

i would say use the microsoft generic 'Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard'... but uhh yeah Macs tend to not have that.... youre going to make me think here...

use Image Capture possibly, it wont give you the amount of options as the scanners software. using photoshop to import the image source or acquire TWAIN is another route instead of relying on the software. those methods should both work as long as the computer recognizes the drivers and is workign properly.

youre stumping me a bit... provide an image of the unsatisfactory quality and maybe a screenshot or two of the settings youre using to scan the image. crap ...macs dont have a print screen button... press Shift+Apple+3 to printscreen a png to your desktop.

[edit] hefty pricetag...

Last edited by Grief; February 4th, 2008 at 12:47 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.