Chow Guidelines :: Updated

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Exclamation Chow Guidelines :: Updated

Chow Guidelines :: Updated
    -=GUIDELINES=-

• Follow the Character Brief to the best of your ability.

What this means: The Brief is where you find the details of the character for the given week. Often times there will be tidbits of vital information included in the Brief that you will not find by going just by the thread header.
    Why: As CHOW is in part designed to give you some real world experience in character design, you are encouraged to read the brief and do some research on the character that week when necessary. Briefs vary greatly from assignment to assignment or client to client in a job situation, and so to here in CHOW.

• Art created *only* for this activity will be accepted.

What this means: This means that CHOW requires you to create original artwork for the given week. Paint overs of other people's work is strictly forbidden.
    Why: CHOW is about pushing your limits as much as possible. You do not benefit in any way, shape or form by copping out and submitting work that has been created previously for something else (either a personal project or for a client).
    Furthermore, paint overs (of artwork or photographs) are viewed very, very dimly by the hosts, and are considered cheating.

• One Entry Only.

What this means: One entry per entrant.
    Why: While we encourage prolific illustration, it would rapidly get well out of hand for orchestrating the poll, therefore for our sanity, and yours; One entry only.

• Minimum 3/4 character must be visible. No busts or head shots.

What this means: A three quarters view of a humanoid character is required. Head shots, or busts, are greatly admired and some of the best artwork every done has been done in this style, and they can convey a great deal about the character being illustrated. However, in CHOW, character expression is expressed through so much more than just the face. The stance, position of arms, hands, accouterments, costuming design all help convey who the individual is that you are illustrating.
    Why: Mostly because we want to see you can do. How well can you illustrate the human form, or any other form for that matter? Further to this is how well can you express an emotion through that form?

• Background imagery NOT NECESSARY unless indicated by the brief.
      Otherwise feel free to include it.

What this means: Include a background image or not. It's up to you. Unless the brief says otherwise.
    Why: Backgrounds are not the focus of CHOW.
    • Color or Black and White.

What this means: You can work in color or black and white.
    Why: Both color and black and white can be very powerful tools of illustration, and each artist uses them differently.
    • Any medium is accepted, except photography.

What this means: You can submit work that is created digitally, or traditionally. However, photography is not accepted.
    Why: CHOW is about illustration, be it on a computer or canvas. Photography is not illustration therefore not accepted.

However, sculpture is accepted because it is done by hand.

• No sketches for finals - we want finished work, just like the rest of the Weeklies.

What this means: Finished work is a fairly relative term. Review some of Wes Burt's or Marko's work (or John Singer Sargent for that matter) to see drawings that technically are sketches, but would be accepted in CHOW.
    Why: For our purposes here, a sketch is a unfinished thought. A drawing (including artistically unfinished ones) are a complete thought - either completed by the artist, or by the viewer.

• Remember: Focus your illustration. Pay attention to anatomy, shape, form, lighting, etc. USE REFERENCE.

What this means: Too often beginners try to do everything. Don't. Slow down and THINK about what you are attempting to convey - what you want to say. Look critically at what you are doing, and why you are doing it. Don't just throw everything into the picture including the kitchen sink just because it's within arms' reach. On the same note, don't use a every color on the pallet just because it's there. Color conveys emotion. Fewer colors will have a stronger impact in the illustration.
    Why: You illustration will have more impact, and therefore stand a greater chance of going to poll, and getting votes if you know what you are doing. If you're not sure what you're doing, or how to do something, ask someone or experiment first before just throwing everything into your final.

On using reference: Reference is considered to be typically the use of an object, person, animal or location in photographic form to study so that you understand how to illustrate said object, person, animal or location. In regards to CHOW direct copying is strongly discouraged, along with paint overs (taking a photograph into photoshop or painter or other program and using a layer on top to either smudge or trace the photograph in part or in whole, regardless of whether you own the rights to the photograph or not). In fact, using someone else's photograph for your own artwork, or elements there of, is considered plagiarism and is forbidden in CHOW.

• Please include accurate copyright information when submitting your entry.

What this means: It means that we'll need you to tell us how you are filling out the copyright form when you upload to the CA attachment manager. This means name (usually if we're not sure, we put it under the username, but you may specify another), image catagory, sub catagory, genre and media.
    Why: Because of the new attachment system, we need accurate copyright information in case your image is posted anywhere else with regards to chow. (For example, the winner's thread.) We can usually guess, but it is much easier (and accurate) if you simply provide the information along with your final burning entry, and we will be requesting this from now on.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Eofn; April 4th, 2011 at 03:49 PM.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to S.C. Watson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If something is not clear, or if you have questions that are not answered above, please post here and I will do my best to clarify.

All the best,
    ~Oreg.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the 3/4 rule from a side or front view is straight forward. but how does that then work for other such angles, eg: from above or when the character becomes non human, and you want to show the character running towards the viewers on a head on view?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Think more in terms of three quarters of the character - not the view.

Put another way: the character doesn't need to be turned three quarters - we need to be able to see at least down to their waist - farther is preferable as being able to draw feet or show stance (assuming a humanoid character for this argument) is just as important as the rest.

[]head
    []chest/abdomen
    []waist
    []legs/feet

Hope that helps,
    ~Oreg.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, lemme see if I got this... so the initial post is where you'd comment & upload WIPs ?

And the "finals thread" would be the version which includes the :: VOTING :: in the title? And therein goes the final pic & the WIP shots ? ( And there should be no commenting until the voting poll is up ? )

I'm unclear on this : should we host our images or add them as attachments?

/newb Q's

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ElleMadigan View Post
    Okay, lemme see if I got this... so the initial post is where you'd comment & upload WIPs ?
    Right. For each round there will be two threads - the first thread which is numbered, and then Finals/Voting thread.

The numbered thread is for developing your idea and getting and giving feedback. Back and forth comments and what not are welcome here.

The Finals/Voting thread is usually posted a few days later (usually around Thursday, but there's no set day for it to go up). There you will post your final, and either a link to your wips in the numbered thread, or the wips with your final.

And the "finals thread" would be the version which includes the :: VOTING :: in the title? And therein goes the final pic & the WIP shots ? ( And there should be no commenting until the voting poll is up ? )
    Again, correct. In the Finals/Voting thread, we want to keep things clear and easy to view until at least poll goes up. Any comments made before poll will be deleted.

I'm unclear on this : should we host our images or add them as attachments?
    You can do either, though I recommend using CA's attachment manager, as that way we don't have to worry about pics accidently getting lost or deleted. CA archives the attachtments, so they'll always be here.

Hope that helps!

~Oreg.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to S.C. Watson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    PLEASE NOTE THE NEW FOLLOWING GUIDELINE:

• Please include accurate copyright information when submitting your entry.

What this means: It means that we'll need you to tell us how you are filling out the copyright form when you upload to the CA attachment manager. This means name (usually if we're not sure, we put it under the username, but you may specify another), image catagory, sub catagory, genre and media.
    Why: Because of the new attachment system, we need accurate copyright information in case your image is posted anywhere else with regards to chow. (For example, the winner's thread.) We can usually guess, but it is much easier (and accurate) if you simply provide the information along with your final burning entry, and we will be requesting this from now on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, I've been a lurker for quite some time. I'm not sure if this is a "guideline" question, but maybe more of an etiquette type. I scan my pencil sketches in at 300 dpi, with a canvas size of 8.5 x 11. Can you let me know the preferred resolution and size for submission? I would hate to irritate everyone during my initial introduction.

Thank you very much for your time and attention...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ChemX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ChemX: What you scan and work at doesn't really matter, I would suggest working big in case you ever want to print it.

When you post it here, though, save it at about 25%-30% - i usually use the same canvas size as you, and that ends up being about the right size. Resolution doesn't matter for screens, just for printing, so nothing to really worry about there.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I have a question about usage of the ideas here.

For example, I looked thru all the previous CHOWs and I have had a few ideas for one of them. Obviously I would not be posting it here as that thread has come and gone, but can I use the idea and create a character for myself, my portfolio, and whatever comes next? Do I need to state that the initial idea came from here?

I believe that the character I would create would just be a personal project, but if it becomes more, Id like to know what is allowed.

Thanks

"Hello darkness my old friend, Ive come to speak with you again" -Simon and Garfunkle

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalot View Post
    Hi, I have a question about usage of the ideas here.

For example, I looked thru all the previous CHOWs and I have had a few ideas for one of them. Obviously I would not be posting it here as that thread has come and gone, but can I use the idea and create a character for myself, my portfolio, and whatever comes next? Do I need to state that the initial idea came from here?

I believe that the character I would create would just be a personal project, but if it becomes more, Id like to know what is allowed.

Thanks
    You can use any of the ideas posted as character briefs for yourself. It would be nice if you included credit where the idea came from, but it is not necessarily required.

Also, you can always post what you work on in the Revisit and Revision thread.

~S

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S.C. Watson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi,i wanna join the Chow this week but i don't know the maximum file size to submit,i mean how large it needs to be?like 500 kb?or smaller?thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Watson View Post
    Right. For each round there will be two threads - the first thread which is numbered, and then Finals/Voting thread.

The numbered thread is for developing your idea and getting and giving feedback. Back and forth comments and what not are welcome here.

The Finals/Voting thread is usually posted a few days later (usually around Thursday, but there's no set day for it to go up). There you will post your final, and either a link to your wips in the numbered thread, or the wips with your final.

Again, correct. In the Finals/Voting thread, we want to keep things clear and easy to view until at least poll goes up. Any comments made before poll will be deleted.

You can do either, though I recommend using CA's attachment manager, as that way we don't have to worry about pics accidently getting lost or deleted. CA archives the attachtments, so they'll always be here.

Hope that helps!

~Oreg.
    Thanks for asking and answering this question, it appears like I have missed the boat this week but I will get in on this next week. When does the week reset?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm just curious for all of the Creature/Character/Environment of the Week... is it okay to post your WIP in the critique thread, get feedback, make changes, and still enter? or is that cheating? I'm such a noob...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lii-chan By critique thread I'm presuming you mean the main critique and WIP subforum found on the main page. Whilst there is no stated rule against posting in the critique section it is generally not considered the done thing during the week which the contest is being held. However, when the week is over you are free to do whatever you want with your work and if you wish to get more advise and develop the concept further, the Critique and WIP subforums are the best place to go.

Whilst the contest is active you can post your WIPS in the topic thread (Usually titled: CHoW#(number):: Topic name). There are more than enough talented artist there who would be happy to help you

I hope this has helped answer your question.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is there a set size that we have to use for the final image? Like "X pixels by Y pixels"? For instance in the main thread Rule 6 always shows a black-bordered image (to illustrate how to properly submit your files), but does our image have to be those same dimensions? Thanks, I am about to do my first CHOW and I want to make sure I do it right!

-Dread_Reaper

Dread_Reaper's (HORRIBLY OUTDATED) Book of Darkness and Stuff

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119607

Current Threads:

DIABLO III fan art
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=275543

Also check out my new website!

http://nickgilliland.daportfolio.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Dread_Reaper No the image does not need to match the dimensions of the submission example, that is just to illustrate that the final image must include the CHoW number and the username of the artist. Their is no set submission size but a sensible rule of thumb would be a maximum height (Portrait) or width (Landscape) of 1000px

I hope this has helped

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Eofn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixy View Post
    @Dread_Reaper No the image does not need to match the dimensions of the submission example, that is just to illustrate that the final image must include the CHoW number and the username of the artist. Their is no set submission size but a sensible rule of thumb would be a maximum height (Portrait) or width (Landscape) of 1000px

I hope this has helped
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am so excited to finally enter the challenge!

-Dread_Reaper

Dread_Reaper's (HORRIBLY OUTDATED) Book of Darkness and Stuff

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119607

Current Threads:

DIABLO III fan art
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=275543

Also check out my new website!

http://nickgilliland.daportfolio.com/

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Dread_Reaper For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.