Sketchbook: Journal of a Chocolate addict...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Journal of a Chocolate addict...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Journal of a Chocolate addict...

Okay, that title was weird...anyway, I'm only going to post one drawing on here as it is this most current and the rest is old. I would love critique on it since I would love to vastly improve on my linework before I even touch my Photoshop.
    I'll try to post everyday (every week for sure), but school can be a hinderance, especially since I harbor a certain loathing against Math (though I have a love for fractions). I'm horrible at hands, but I try. And sorry for the lack of a background...
    I'll say thanks ahead of time, in case I'm not on.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, the hands are a bit off. Perhaps you should attack that problem and do a few studies of hands. Yours, a photo, or whatever. A picture from an anatomy book might be good too.

I am not the greatest at hands either. I just started today sketch my own. I would suggest looking at the components of the hand and not the whole thing at once.

Also, the neck looks a bit odd. It looks like a tube connects the body and head. You might try to think about the curve of the neck muscles.

Besides that, keep up that work. Looks good to me.

Last edited by Ciaran; February 2nd, 2008 at 08:07 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks good... As far as the hands, i personally use Burne Hogarth's anatomy books and i would definitely recommend every artist to purchase one of his books, his anatomy is amazing... But besides the hands and the neck (which is a very minuscule thing, the neck,that is) it looks very good..... Keep at it and i cant wait to see your next post..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to The Legendary Left For This Useful Post:

Retronym is offline Disscepolo para sperientia Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Ciaran, hands are a simple issue, just tackle them and they'll topple. Just think of geometric areas of light and dark and the general skeleton of a hand. Repition of hand excercises will give you a good feel for on the fly stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've heard of Burne Hogarth a lot recently, so I'll have to check out the bookstore and hunt it down. I'm quite sure Amazon will have a few of his books(I hate using the internet to buy stuff but if it must go down to that, then I have no choice).

>.> These two are actually my first skull drawing. I wasn't too much into shading as I was into the outline (my facial anatomy is bad so I've been tackling it this whole week. I personally think it's gotten better). Now that I look at it, the first one looks kind of crooked...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More random stuff, and my cat is everywhere (she's fun to draw due to the fact that she barely moves and instead watches). These are just quick sketches that took around 10-15 minutes total. And I ordered two of Burne Hogarth's anatomy books on Amazon so they'll be coming in on Wednesday. Cost me $32.57 but it's worth it.

Last edited by Nexius; February 9th, 2008 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Grammar mistake

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey nice work, im sure you'v heard it before but just keep up the anatomy studies and you'll be golden.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Sceptyr. You can say it as many times as you want, I don't mind.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nexius For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

I'm quite happy due to the fact that I actually imrpoved! And it's noticable too! I did study up on the facial anatomy and I know there are mistakes here and there, but right now I can savor over this image because it's by far better than anything I've ever drawn, even though it's just a floating head with shoulders. There is now hope for me that I can become a better artist. And thanks to Legendary Left for directing me to use Burne Hogarth's anatomy books, they are very helpful and amazing.

Last edited by Nexius; February 16th, 2008 at 11:06 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Nexius. I think you have a great start to a sketchbook here, you are doing some very nice things. You are starting to notice improvement in your work and it's exciting isn't it? Keep going though. One thing I always found in my own work is that I get very very invested on my most recent project because I want it to be the best thing I have done. However, what you and I do today will be nothing compared to what we are doing weeks, months or years from now. Keep drawing and you will be doing great things in no time. As far as anatomy books go, I think it would be wise to invest in George Bridgman's books. They are extremely cheap and full of good information ( I think I got all three for around $12). You can also find a lot of Andrew Loomis' books online in PDF format for free and they are great reasources as well. His Figure Drawing for all its Worth and Drawing the Head and Hands are my personal favorites. Best of luck, hope to see some new stuff soon.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ExilE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Exile. Those are some very good advice and I think I needed that.
    I think I'll go check out those books as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice start man, chocalate is addicting. nice contour lines, some times its best to work from the inside out. try doing something that you have never done before like working on a whole body figure portait, spend all day on it or atleast 1 hr. use what you know and apply it. then we can find out what your weaknesses are and your strengths.

"EVERY GOOD PAINTER PAINTS WHAT HE IS" Jackson Pollock

"I am obsessed with the process of creation" Zdzislaw Beksinski

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woot for improvement!

You know, once you've mastered Hogarth, another fun resource is Posemaniacs... good times there

Draw draw draw!!!

Look, see! Nifty art! http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99803

Hey! Check out my blog here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff. I like that first picture - cept the hands need work like you know. I also think posemaniacs would be good for you. Keep drawing!!!

I'm only 15 and would like some comments/critiques/tips so CHECK OUT MY SKETCHBOOK! Please =] http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117399

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In order to improve your drawing skill you should cut down on the detail and experiment with lines , and shapes and other simpler stuff shades , get to know what your pencil can really do

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.