Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I just turned down a major job to keep my dream alive

Thanks

I just turned down a major job to keep my dream alive

So I just wanted to vent to the ca'ers

I am having a really hard time as an artist but its strange because I don't think I have ever produced better visuals or writing than I am right now. The one thing that I have been trying so desperately to achieve is making the transition from the industry I am in now to the film/videogame industry for the past year and it has been a really frustrating experience.

So last night I was offered a job at the company I am with now, one of those people really do make that kind of money every month kind of jobs...and I took it.

It is in business operations, my own office, parking space, my own staff, my own 80 hour work week...basically everything 'work' can offer.

Then this morning I woke up, saw all of my tear stained screenwriting and all of my blood soaked conceptuals sitting on my coffee table and called them back to let them know...

I can't take the job.

Am I fucking nuts?!! Can this dream of mine really matter THAT much to me?!! More than I even thought I knew?!!!
    Last edited by Presence; February 2nd, 2008 at 06:41 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hmm...I would've taken the job, and then continued working on the dream. Maybe....

Thanks
    Just hope you won't ever regret that decision because you seem to be '' not so sure'' about what you have done. If you can live with that decision, keep believing in your dreams.

Thanks
    Bhrazz its not about being unsure, its about not truly realizing what something is worth until its about to be taken away forever.
    Last edited by Presence; February 2nd, 2008 at 08:00 PM.

Thanks
    Dude, I completely understand where you're coming from. Good luck

Thanks
    Well, I recently quit my dayjob as a chef to do this, so I understand you.
    FUCK YOU YA PRETENTIOUS DICKS!! BAN ME!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Now you just have to work hard to make sure you fulfill your dreams, and prove to yourself that you did the right thing!

Thanks
    It's going to be tough, but every morning you're going to wake up with thoughts of what you could've had, and how what you're going for is worth so much more.

And every morning, these thoughts will drive you to pick up your pencil and sketchbook and get to working on that dream.

I know, practically, it would be more logical to have taken the job and tried to fit art into your life. But we're artists, we weren't meant to be that practical. It's a romantic and noble thing you've done, and while life may try to prove it a mistake through all the things it'll throw your way, it is up to you now to prove your decision was the correct one by working your ass off and fulfilling that dream.

Thanks
    I have to second the comment on taking the job and working on the dream in your free time.

Thanks
    Good for you, man. Pressure's on now.

Don't fall into the "I'll do it in my free time" trap. Big dreams don't fit into free time.

Eric
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lavhoes View Post
    I know, practically, it would be more logical to have taken the job and tried to fit art into your life. But we're artists, we weren't meant to be that practical. It's a romantic and noble thing you've done, and while life may try to prove it a mistake through all the things it'll throw your way, it is up to you now to prove your decision was the correct one by working your ass off and fulfilling that dream.
    Agreed 100%. You have to make it happen. Every second you aren't working, draw. Make every moment worth it.

Thanks
    Yeah, i was recently in the same position as you.. work in the advertising industry with a constant paycheck and being bossed all the time by marketers from the agency's clients, or dedicate myself to my own projects and freelancing, being my own boss? I really did have enough of advertising... it isn't for me. It's hard man, so do your best and make those dreams come true... GOOD FORTUNE!

PS: You are fucking nuts! Fucking nuts enough to dream! go for it man, don't let yourself down... pursue your dream, make it your reason of existence.
    "Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    You know, up until 2004 I was always working "for someone else". Three years till 2004, it was a state university as an office manager to one of the departments.

Not glamorous, but as a state employee, I had good benefits plus a decent monthly wage. I hated every second. I've always hated working in an office. In 05, my SO suggested I finally enroll in school and work on my degree in the arts - and here I am.

I've been lucky as he's been supporting my ass since 06. But, I haven't been slacking - I draw at least every other day. And when I'm not drawing, I'm reading about drawing or painting. I could be working for the state uni or continued working for the city here - but I have a goal and by golly, I'm gonna make it.

So I applaud your gumption. I've been there and know what you're going through. It's not an easy road, but hell, if it were it'd be boring, eh? So...get to work!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast