Thanks

Brush Tracking Question

Hello there! I'm new to these forums as well as Corel Painter and i have a few questions concerning my brushes

I have been using Corel Painter X for no longer than three weeks and i have been afraid of starting a painting because my brushes seem a little off when i draw.

I came across a thread that talked about brush tracking and i noticed something odd about mine,

when i make a stroke on the sketch pad the sliders don't move very much even when i attempt to push harder or lighter.

Whats even more odd is the dots on the sketch pad stay a dark blue color no mater what i do.

I'm not sure if this is normal because when i look at people's screenshots of their brush tracking, i see lighter blue dots and even purple dots.

This is very confusing to me

Is this a real problem or am i just being paranoid?

Screenshot of my painter X-
    http://img155.imageshack.us/my.php?image=corel1md2.jpg

I'm not sure if my specs are needed but ill post them anyways

Wacom Intros 3 12x19 board
    4 gigs ram
    Duel core 2.2 - 4mb c
    Nvidia 8800 GTS
    Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit

Thank you for your time!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    try these settings
    velocity scale: 3.0
    velocity power: 0.5
    pressure scale: 0.8
    pressure power: 2.0

the wacom has pressure settings itself but i usually only use it for photoshop.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabe View Post
    Hello there! I'm new to these forums as well as Corel Painter and i have a few questions concerning my brushes

I have been using Corel Painter X for no longer than three weeks and i have been afraid of starting a painting because my brushes seem a little off when i draw.

I came across a thread that talked about brush tracking and i noticed something odd about mine,

when i make a stroke on the sketch pad the sliders don't move very much even when i attempt to push harder or lighter.
    Hi Makabe,

My Brush Tracking sliders don't move much either unless I apply much more pressure than normal, or much less pressure than normal. Then, they only move when I finish the stroke and lift the stylus from the tablet surface.

Whats even more odd is the dots on the sketch pad stay a dark blue color no mater what i do.

I'm not sure if this is normal because when i look at people's screenshots of their brush tracking, i see lighter blue dots and even purple dots.
    My brush stroke on the Brush Tracking sketch pad also stays the same blue as shown in your screen print, and that's fine. I don't know why other people's change color, but maybe it has to do with their OS and the style they choose. (See my system specs at the end of this post for my OS and style.)

This is very confusing to me

Is this a real problem or am i just being paranoid?

Screenshot of my painter X-
    http://img155.imageshack.us/my.php?image=corel1md2.jpg

I'm not sure if my specs are needed but ill post them anyways

Wacom Intros 3 12x19 board
    4 gigs ram
    Duel core 2.2 - 4mb c
    Nvidia 8800 GTS
    Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit

Thank you for your time!
    I think you may be worrying too much. Though it's remotely possible your Brush Tracking isn't working as it should, I doubt it.

Try manually setting your Brush Tracking to Jason's settings. See how that works.

Then try the settings I got when painting a stroke on the Brush Tracking scratch pad using my normal hand pressure (normal for this morning, that is... it changes for various reasons like amount of fatigue, tension, etc.... even the position of the Brush Tracking dialog box on my screen can change how I paint the stroke.)

My Brush Tracking Settings This Morning Using Normal Hand Pressure:

Velocity Scale: 0.60
    Velocity Power: 0.17
    Pressure Scale: 0.92
    Pressure Power: 4.00

My System Specs:

Pentium 4
    2.53 gHz
    512 MB RAM
    120 GB hard drive with 68 GB free
    250 GB external hard drive with 178 GB free
    Using external drive for Painter scratch disk (see Preferences > Memory & Scratch)
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
    128 MB Video RAM
    WinXP Home SP2 with Windows Classic style
    Wacom Intuos 2 - 6 x 8 inch working area

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    hi, Makabe! i have the same brush tracking settings as you have on your screenshot. and the stroke look the same too.

rattsang is offline i am destructor bahhhhhhwwwaaaaaaaa!!!!!!
    Thanks
    how this looks is also dependant on your wacom settings from the screen shot it looks to me like you have your tablet set to soft- this eliminates some of the senitivity if you use a hard touch. set the wacom to medium in the control panel and try brush tracking again. the point of brush tracking (where pressure is concerned)is to show the program your range of pressure you regularly use the program then sets these as your low and high points so you can have a full range in your regular stroke regardless of whether you use a light or heavy hand.
    Last edited by rattsang; February 5th, 2008 at 12:18 PM.
    its time to knuckle down and really lick boot!
    LOOK MOMMY! I laid a sketchbook!
    My Blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ross View Post
    try these settings
    velocity scale: 3.0
    velocity power: 0.5
    pressure scale: 0.8
    pressure power: 2.0

the wacom has pressure settings itself but i usually only use it for photoshop.
    Perfect!

This is exactly what i have been looking for!

Thank you very much Jason

and Jin, i put those setting in and your right! it works perfect for me when im half asleep

Thank you for that helpful hint Rattsang, i looked into that and it helped me out quite a bit, now i know where to look if i choose to modify

Thanks all, it has helped me out a bunch!