Stylised Animal Challenge - With a Twist - Feb 2008 - 'Bull in a China Shop'

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Welcome to the Stylised Animal Monthly Challenge – With a Twist – Sponsored by 3DTotal.com and 2DArtist Magazine . Please post all images & questions in this thread.

So what is this challenge all about?
    Each month we will select an animal and a scene and post some images for you to use as reference. The animal and the scene is there to be interpreted as and how you wish; in fact, for example, if we say “fish out of water”, then there doesn’t actually need to be a fish at all – it can just be used as a metaphor. Get it? All you have to do then is to think up your concept and create a 2D painting of this in your own way!

This regular monthly challenge is designed to bring in some great content for 2DArtist Magazine – in the form of final images from the Top Ten and Making Ofs from the top 3 winners – as well as some great prizes and exposure just for you!

What are we looking for?
    Funny and humorous entries which interpret the ‘animal and scene’ brief however you see fit. As I said, you can use the ‘animal and scene’ briefs as metaphors if you wish, meaning they don’t actually have to feature the animal that the brief discusses. We’re pretty much leaving everything open for your interpretation! All we ask is that the ‘animal and scene’ brief is instantly recognisable in your final image, whether literally or metaphorically! All you have to do then is to render your stylised/abstract/cartoon masterpiece and you’re away!

What are the timeframes and requirements?
    The rules are pretty laid back: please submit 1 x 2D Final Image. If you want to have a background or include some graphical elements or text on your image, it's entirely up to you. Image posts should be around 800 pixels across, but please work at a much higher res as the top 10 will be featured in 2DArtist Magazine . There will be 1 challenge per month, with the deadline being the end of the month GMT. A 'VOTING' thread will be created at the end of the month. For a valid entry, just make sure your final image is posted in the 'VOTING' thread before the 8th March 2008. Voting will take place from the 8th March to the 15th March 2008, when the winners will be announced by me! We require the top 3 winners to submit 'Making Of' overview articles that will be shown on either 3DTotal or in 2DArtist Magazine ; these need to show the stages of your creation, different elements and some brief explanation text of why, and how, you did what you did. We will format this into some nice-looking pages to give you some great exposure, and us some quality content. This will serve as some great exposure for you which, along with your prizes, is a pretty cool incentive to get involved!

Posting Works in Progress
    Each challenge will have one thread that starts with this info and the brief at the top. This is where all entrants post all WIPs, give feedback, and generally laugh at the crazy ideas that are emerging each month!

Please don't start any new threads – just reply to this one already set up!

Prizes!!
    1st Place Any 3 items from the 3DTotal Shop. We sell lots of items these days, such as our book , Design Studio Press books, textureCDs, Shorts DVDs, lots of training DVDs, and 12 month subscriptions to 3DCreative Magazine and 2DArtist Magazine .

2nd Place
    Any 2 items from the 3DTotal Shop.

3rd Place
    Any 1 item from the 3DTotal Shop.

We do unfortunately have to limit prizes to 1 book per winner per challenge, due to high postage costs for heavier items.

Judging
    Everyone who entered can cast a vote of their top 3 in order, and the 3DTotal/2DArtist team will also cast their votes. We will award 3pts for a 1st place vote, 2 for 2nd and 1 for 3rd. Then we will add them up and ship out your prizes!

This month we have chosen BULL IN A CHINA SHOP!

©iStockphoto.com/Fanelie Rosier

Here is a selection of Images from a simple Google search to give you some good references for this month’s brief!
    bull in a china shop 01
    bull in a china shop 02
    bull in a china shop 03
    bull in a china shop 04
    bull in a china shop 05
    bull in a china shop 06
    bull in a china shop 07
    bull in a china shop 08

Please don't start new threads: all design sketches, WIPs, feedback should go in this thread! Final Images should be posted in the 'VOTING' thread, which will be created at the end of the month.

Have fun everyone! There are some pretty cool images on the Net for this subject, so enjoy your explorations!

Finally, I would like to give thanks to Alo Álvarez, one of our 3D Challenge entrants, who suggested this twist to the current stylised challenges. We hope you’ll enjoy it!!

Lynette

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmm...

- My Artwork! -
    www.miguellleras.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

...someone knows where is spain?

Hi, this is my first post in the "stylised animal challenge", when I saw it I liked very much
    the idea, here I am, after to watch the bull´s image the first I thought, I don´t know why,
    was an old bull looking for bullfighter, and finished in a shop, he didn,t understand where he was...
    the spanish bullfighter, definitively was very angry!!!

sorry for my english, is pretty bad!!!

Last edited by tuovni; February 28th, 2008 at 10:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh jeez, all I can think of is Mythbusters! I was think of entering this month, but I'll have to see if I can get that image out of my mind first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a little thing i came up with.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure I'll have time to take part in this one, but I had a really interesting idea for it that someone may want to try. When I saw the theme, the first thing that came to my mind was doing something more traditional....a painting, but in cubist form. I may still give it a go, but it ain't lookin' good right now, so the idea's up for grabs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm trying since yesterday some sketches.. I think its hard.. There are some ideas but.. Humanising the bull is quite hard and dangerous..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon here my first sketch detail

Hi,
    I did the sketch last evening.. And now I am working on the measures on Photoshop.. This is the detail.. More comes soon.. I hope ..

Stylised Animal Challenge - With a Twist - Feb 2008 - 'Bull in a China Shop'Stylised Animal Challenge - With a Twist - Feb 2008 - 'Bull in a China Shop'

Stylised Animal Challenge - With a Twist - Feb 2008 - 'Bull in a China Shop'Stylised Animal Challenge - With a Twist - Feb 2008 - 'Bull in a China Shop'Stylised Animal Challenge - With a Twist - Feb 2008 - 'Bull in a China Shop'

Last edited by brather; February 29th, 2008 at 11:44 AM. Reason: added process sketch..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello,

Hope it's okay for me to participate, I'm just learning in most respects, but these creatures just seem so much fun!
    Anyway, this is my WIP so far, crits are very highly encouraged, I want to improve!

"Can I help moo?"

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Learnin' like a refurbished dog.

My Sketchbook - Take a peek

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Less interest to this topic.. Interesting.. :o

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my goofy wip to throw into the mix. Last challenge had a fantastic turnout. Hope this one gets the same attention.
    He has such an obsession with fine china..
    updated WIP

Last edited by muleskinner; February 22nd, 2008 at 07:22 AM. Reason: update

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon

Hi, last time with dragons, I didn't end the painting, but this time I will do it .
    Hmm, bull is equal to Spain for me, country which I love so much and where I would like to live .

So here is my WIP, where you can see bull tricked by matador, and he ran on the local shop at the streets, this is my interpretation of clumsy bull. Matador will be smaller [I mean - a little far away on the second plan].

-EDIT-
    Still have to do shadows, matador.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Matteo'89; February 23rd, 2008 at 06:04 AM.
    BLOG The creative works
    Practice Blog - Life drawings, experiments, etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question

I am torn between concepts at the moment but I am thinking this one could be the way to go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    freakdesign: It is a cool idea.. And even the composition.. Great! ..
    Edit:
    But I think the vase looks more like a greek vase.. And the other dishes more english style.. ..
    Maybe you can find a vase which looks more chines..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by brather View Post
    But I think the vase looks more like a greek vase.. And the other dishes more english style.. ..
    Maybe you can find a vase which looks more chines..
    It is a greek styled vase - but was an intentional choice. I just figured the bull design would match that style better. Today at least, our china shop stocks Greek vases
    You have given me something to think about until I get get back to it tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, it got really quiet here!

Nice picture freakdesign, can't wait to see it finished! I like the greek style, it works great!

muleskinner - your bull is adorable

But it looks like only brather had finished his picture! Come on, guys!

I'm guilty myself, but I hope to make something before the deadline.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Paweu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Deadline...

Sorry, I´m not suere about the dadline, we have time until friday 29 to post the imeage, after that we have until saturday 8 to post it in the voting post.
    I´d like to know if we can use this time betwen 29 and 8 to finish the picture?

Thank!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah Tuovni, you can even start new picture from scratch as long as you post it before the 8th of March in the voting thread (at least that's how it went in the previous rounds).

Great bull by the way
    But be careful about the topic - it is "Bull in a china shop", so I think you should maybe put some cups or vases on that shelf

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink

uuuuh, good new!!! Yeah, I was so hurry that I didn´t care about china´s articules...I don´t know if I´ll have time to correct it. I hope it doesn´t descalificate my picture

I´ll trey before to improve the highlights and shadows...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, it's Lynette from 2DArtist Magazine, here! This is to announce that the VOTING thread is now up and ready for your fantastic final entries to be posted!

Please post your Final Images in the following new thread: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...08#post1668508

800 or 1024 size is fine.
    Please post all entries before 7th March 2008 10:30AM GMT.
    Only entries posted before this date in this 'Stylised Animal Challenge - With a Twist - Feb 2008 - 'Bull in a China Shop' - VOTING!' thread, will be eligible for Voting.

Voting will then start immediately afterwards and will run until 14th March 2008 10:30AM GMT

I will post to commence the Voting. Voting will be the same as last month with each voter putting forward their top 3 in order, 3pts for a 1st place, 2 pts for 2nd and 1 for 3rd. This means that will have to choose carefully! Feel free to give a reason for your choice as it will be good feedback for all of you!

Thanks again for the enourmous amount of work you have all put in, as usual!

Best of luck!!

Lynette - 2DArtist/3DTotal

P.S. I'll be starting the next challenge thread on Monday 3rd March - sorry for the suspense! It's going to be a new one: a "SUPER STYLISED CHALLENGE" in fact, so hold onto your pants till then!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.