Sketchbook: [Sketchbook] Lignamiran Development

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: [Sketchbook] Lignamiran Development

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

[Sketchbook] Lignamiran Development

My name is. My real name is.

This sketchbook is intended to post up developments, sketches, scribbles, and notes on the background of my developing book.

~~~

Concerning the Solar System of Humucera, Home of Lignamira. v.1

Humucera, in comparison with our residential solar system, is much larger. It is home to more planets and moons, and has two stars at the center.

The Solar layout of Humucera is unique in that the two stars, of which have a diametral difference of less than 16,093 km, orbit each other. Another unique trait of the exiled solar system of Humucera is that between the two di-orbital stars is a planet that is nestled in the equilibrial center of the gravitational pulls of the two stars, as well as the center of their orbital paths. In essence, the stars instead rotate around the central, or Key-note, planet.

Because of the presence of two stars in the solar system, the gravitational pull that holds the remaining planets in orbit is elliptical at all times. Because of this every planet's orbit is also elliptical. Due to the slow orbits of the stars, the planetary orbits are able to maintain a constant orbit and change corresponding to the position of the two stars. The slowest orbiting planet is able to make 3,532 revolutions before the two stars make one revolution around each other and The Key-note Planet.

There are a total of 14 planets in Humucera and a total of 261 moons. Lignamira is the 5th planet from the Key-note Planet, which equals to a rough distance at the aphelion of 2.0057622213 AU and 0.999248314 AU at the perihelion. Lignamira has 3 moons that have a slight ellipse to their orbit. One moon is an ellipsoid due to the accelerated rotational speed of the natural satellite. The other two are of average lunar size and bulge slightly out at their equatorial circumference.

~~~

Concerning the Solar System Humucera, Home of Lignamira v.1.2

The presence of two stars inter-orbiting each other presents other interesting results concerning the planets and the solar system itself. Because there are two stars, the magnetic fields that are emitted and that congregate at the magnetic poles of the planets are tremendously stronger than the magnetic fields observed on Earth. Some of the creatures that have evolved on Lignamira have evolved traits that use the magnetic fields to their advantage.

Many migrating creatures use the magnetic poles as a separate sense to determine directions and have small traces of ferrous metals in their bodies. By changing the polarity of these metal traces, through an unknown process, these migratory creatures use the push and pull of the magnetic field to make the migration an easier trek or flight by allowing themselves to be pulled to their destination or pushed away to it.

Having two magnetic poles, however making magnetic forces stronger, there is a disadvantage. Throughout most of the duration of the Lignamiran year, using the magnetic poles as navigation is severely inaccurate and unreliable.

When the forest planet and the two stars are in Triangle formation, there are two magnetic North and two magnetic South poles. The magnetic fields meet the North and South hemispheres of the planet in two completely different spots from each other. For migratory creatures, this causes confusion, and if, during migration, have been known to travel in circles.

When using a compass, needles have been known to point at one magnetic pole from one star only. They have also been known to fluctuate between the two magnetic fields, settle somewhere in between the two poles, or spin aimlessly.

When the two stars and the planet are in Linear formation, ferric navigation is not only possible, but one can literally travel to the exact 90º pole on either hemisphere with little or no fluctuations in a compass. Only two Lehnadrads have been recoreded to travel to the magnetic South pole during solar linear alignment, and only one Lehnadrad has been recorded to travel to the magnetic North pole during solar linear alignment.

When Humucera was a young blossoming system, the strong magnetic field from both stars pulled several moons composed of highly ferrous materials and one planet (that was also ferrous) into their fiery maws. When they were drawn into the recomposing fire of the stars, it resulted in a slight cooling of the star that swallowed the body, by several degrees Kelvin. This ultimately resulted in a flux of the magnetic fields of the blossoming planets, severe solar flares, some even reaching far enough out to the Key-note planet, scorching the surface in whip-like patterns.

Many magnetic similarities can be observed on many of the other planets in the system. Many differences can be observed as well.

~~~

Concerning Halos and Halians v.1

On Lignamira, The Strand can see through any guise and any lie, which is why many illustrations are are drawn with Lotus Mandala Halos and Halian backgrounds. Lotus Mandala Halos interpret true intentions of a creature or sentient being. A pure Halo with white sepals represents an organism's pure and instinctual intentions. A Halo surrounded with many layers and doesn't include a lotus represents an organism in turmoil, distress, or other forms of despair. A Halo surrounded with a ring of Black Mass and doesn't include a lotus represents an organism corrupted by The Black Mass. A Halo surrounded with a wreath of White Mass and doesn't include a lotus represents an organism corrupted by The White Mass.

Since all Halos except the Lotus Mandala Halo includes a lotus, the Lotus Mandala Halos, in essence, represent an organism that hasn't been corrupted, isn't in emotional, mental, or physical turmoil, or has evil intentions.

~~~

Concerning Gods in the World of Lignamira v.1

There are two phylums of Gods on the forest planet. There are two unknown Greater Gods, and several, some known and some unknown, Lesser Gods. Each phylum has one great god, that oversees the remaining gods of the phylum, as well as the planet. The Great Lesser God of Lignamira is The Strand. So far, the remaining known Lesser Gods are The White and Black Masses.

The Strand oversees all things on Lignamira at every point, and every place in time on the planet. It can appear in many different locations on the planet at any one moment in time. The Strand, however powerful, only intervenes with the natural order of Life, and uses its power as a God when an unjustice has occured.

The White and Black Masses are polar opposites. They are amoeba like in their traveling. They know not where they travel and know not what they feel. They are inexplicably attracted to events that reflect their disposition. The Black Mass is attracted to evil creatures, events and beings, as well as evil intentions, anger and hate. The White Mass is attracted to the better intentions of creatures, as well as just emotions of love and compassion. –On rare occasion, the two masses conflict with each other, and are equally matched so that neither can ever destroy the other. –On rare occasion, the two masses have been known to infect and corrupt the free will of creatures and beings on the planet.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by angel2342; July 27th, 2009 at 01:56 AM.
    47th Sketch Brigade AsaB| PlasmaErnst | Malakai | MnM | Renegade89 | J.Boswell | ~Faust~ | Angel2342

Strand of Life, Love and Lignamira
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Random Information.

Darshan — the event and short period in which one may visually see a God

Lehnadrad — Bipedal mammalians with higher brain functions. There are several degrees of Lehnadrads with several different features. A common notable difference is the differences in respiratory systems. Some have atmospheric breathing sacs (lungs) and others have the aerogress breathing apparatus which allows a continuous flow of fresh air over exposed blood vessels within the body without the disadvantage of in/out air movement involved with sac breathing. Lung breathing Lehnadrads are the only ones that have the privelage (or disadvantage) of being infected with the mutualistic Lungworms.

Lehnadrads are the dominant, inherent, sentient creature on Lignamira. However they may be more numerous than other sentient beings, it does not necessarily make them the strongest. Other sentient creatures include Draihles, The Basilisk, Thlaintes, and some others that have yet to be named. Draihles are a common ally with the Lehnadrads of the Nature Ways. Prighfohls, however ignorant compared to Draihles, are commonly wangled and enslaved for the Lehnadrads of the Dead Life.

Thlaintes, however, try their best to keep a distance between the affairs between the two schools of thought revolving around the Lehnadrads. Some however are mischievous and fuel the fire between the two, others join in the skirmishes that occur, and others seclude themselves in the furthest reaches of wilderness on the forest planet.

Lehnadrads, for the most part recognize that war causes destruction and both scrupulous sides have agreed that no battles will occur so long as their affairs are not entwined and no side trespasses onto the other's. This is easy enough for the two sides as the large continent of Panhumus is large enough for several nations to exist while only two currently inhabit it.

~~~More to Follow~~~

47th Sketch Brigade AsaB| PlasmaErnst | Malakai | MnM | Renegade89 | J.Boswell | ~Faust~ | Angel2342

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Recent jargon

Last edited by angel2342; July 4th, 2008 at 04:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Image 1 - The Black Mass, a Lesser God of Lignamira, infecting a Lehnadrad.

Image 2 - Just something I whipped up when I did one of my "Ink-only-No-turning-back" sketches. It turned out really good I think. I'm not sure what it is. But it certainly has one hell of a proboscis. It's eyes are much like a snails and can move around, retract and such. It's quite the gritty and raw type of grazing creature

Image 3 - The Key-note Planet is at the gravitational center of the Solar system of Humucera. The Binary stars actually orbit closely and tightly around the Key-note Planet which is so perfectly in between the two stars that it is virtually static in its position.

The Key-note Planet is the only planet in the solar system that does not have an orbit. All other planets, to include Lignamira, orbit the stars Alpha and Beta in minor elliptical orbits.

All other important information can be found in the drawing.

Image 4 - This is an entry I scanned from my Random Thought Journal that I write in. It was on one of the few pages that aren't made of papyrus.

I'm sure he won't mind as long as i give him credit, two quotes were taken from Alex :icon deadbear:

Image 5 - Just trying a new style of inking, and making a first real attempt at the female form.

Also giving a new type of ears a try.

This may be a new character in my developing world. Born as a Lehnadrad of the New Ways, she was experimented on as a young pup. She has scars underneath her fur up and down her arms and back. The syringes in her back fused to her spine during a medical kiosk malfunction when she was young. After being born into the New Ways, and then later escaping and being inducted into the Old Ways, she still wears the attire of her former life because it is disrespectful to the tribal Lehnadrads.

Image 6 - This one is about the size of a cat. The only unique features about him are his double-jointed jaw and the dual notochord.

The double jointed jaw is an evolutionary adaptation for this creature. Being relatively small in size, they move and coordinate as packs. Their prey which can sometimes even be as large as an Elodean Grazer have thick hides and hard thick bones. The double joint acts as a sort of slingshot for the lower jaw. One jaw opens and locks into place, the other jaw will open the lower palate even further to almost a 90º angle from the upper jaw. When the creature releases the jaw from its locked position, the tightened muscles, tendons, and sinews launch the lower jaw at a blinding speed towards the upper jaw. This force can easily rip the flesh from any large herbivore. And with a few repeated and well placed chomps, this creature can crack bones in half. Because of the sheer amounts of force involved with its method of eating, its teeth have evolved a stronger structure, but still become jagged or crooked.

Though generally powerful with it's jaws, this creature is relatively wary of more sentient beings such as Lehnadrads. However, when presented with a fight or flight situation where flight isn't a choice, Lehnadrads and other creatures have been seriously injured and have died from the bites of these menacing beings.

Image 7 - My newest character in development. I gave her spots and got rid of the scythe (it was too fucking cliché). The scars/cuts in the last picture were merely for the personal history's sake of this character.

This is her performing a ritual of the Lehnadrads of the Old Ways. It involves praying to The Strand and Amorphous and requesting that they channel their whims through the individual performing the ritual. It sounds like being possessed, but is not. The individual simply requests what the Gods would like to be done in their name. The individual only receives this information in the form of vague and pieces of memories, left to be interpreted by the individual who performed the ritual.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah, really nice designs here! This one is especially tasty: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1202359209

You sure are putting a lot of effort into fleshing out your backstory but remember, since this is a site to primarily educate ourselves in the arts I'd still suggest doing some basicstudies since it's your anatomy that brings all those ver designs down. Whenever there's a figure ormonster of some sort you happen to randomly put the muscles on them without using the grace of a coherent pose. You canhave stylisation AND good anatomy! Good thing would be to watch stuff from Bluefooted here or go around search for some japanese masters, namely Hokusai and others. See ho they depict the figure and them train with some Bridgman, Bammes or another Anatomy-guru of your choice sothat you can memorize all the bodyparts!

Style is simplification, inorder to simplificate, you have to first understand the subject, Perspective, Proportions, Anatomy, all the basic shiznit...

Your compositions are phenomenal, though, even if it's not always clear hat's depicted.

Keep on pushing and welcome to our SSG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the praise and suggestions. I know my anatomy isn't the best, and you hit the nail on the head, I've been trying to simplify my figure drawing. I know the detailed muscle structure of a human and some animals, and I try to convey it onto paper, but it's hard for me to get it to look right. Proportions are also a big problem of mine. I'll probably post some sketch dumps with mostly anatomy drawings here pretty soon.

Thank you again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Welcome aboard to this sketchygroup o' madness ;p

Well anyway, great start! I like your stylistic approach to characters. That animal character above is extremely interesting! I might take a cue from you and try drawing more animal characters again

Also, your writing is pretty interesting too. Most people fail to realize that writing is an art form in itself. I say keep on both, because even writers have a place in most fields suprisingly. Without good writing, there sometimes can't be good art; and vice versa.

One field this particularily applies to is Video Game Design. You have to understand the concept before you can really get into the art aspect of it.

Anyway... enough rant for now. I'd say try focusing on some anatomy observational drawing. Do you know how to break things down into basic shapes yet? Or have you had formal art training?

I suppose all of this will be answered in the first assignment...
    Well, I'll try to let this soak in. Talk to you soon

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi Michael!
    wow lot of background story, cool creatures.
    like to see the anatomy drawings
    welcome to the 47th Sketch Brigade

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello

Well, theres certainly interesting stuff here, and i dig your inks.

Theres a lot more life to be added to your figures, a lot of gestures tend to go stiff or lacking and extra kick of volume and shape.

Hope you keep posting, i´d say adding some extra figure studies to your schedule could end up in pretty cool things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, I only skimmed the text (I was looking at the pictures, so apologies if i repeat myself) but I love the way you fuse high detail with minimalist lines, very swish, but sometimes you lose the picture in the details, there was a tutorial somewhere that explained i better than i could, but i agree with the lifedrawing comments... keep at it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Michael! Gee, sorry about how late I am, I meant to leave a comment when I visited the first time but somehow forgot and I'm finally remembering now! Sorry again!

You seem to like inking a lot, at least that struck me as your strongest point. You've got such delicate and beautiful inks drawings, like the one Faust mentioned. Not to mention nice details and designs in all these. Some of these pieces are really quite strong as illustrations! I must admit that I wasn't always quite sure of what I was looking at, but after reading bits of the text I understood them better. Remember also to make art that can stand alone without explaining, making all the elements necessary in the composition to tell the story and show the personality of the character just by his expression, posture and outfit

But what a promising start, I eagerly await more updates! Welcome aboard, yet again

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice! It's like you create your own history here or past, very cool style and brain.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think too good no more ever since I drank my thermometer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Working on a new design for either The Black Mass or what I think I'll call implets or some sort of gravity boost or something.

The following text goes with the image:

I love you because it hurts when you smack my face. I love you because when you kick me, it leaves bruises. I love you because of the tender way you melt my skin with the iron. I love you because you make love to me with the help of a knife. My life would be so much worse if I didn't HAVE you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's amazing how in depth you go with backstory with your characters.
    Your concepts are great, but...(here come the critiques)

I see how a lot of your characters are human/wolf hybrids, and right now the human part of the characters are looking much more believable than the wolf sections.
    I would study some wolves (if that is what you're going to draw) and make sure you can draw them as they appear in real life before you start stylizing them.
    I think that will add a new level of believability to your drawings instead of having them look overly cartoonish, even though they are stylized.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Forgive me for nit-picking but I just want to make this clear: they aren't necessarily "Wolf" hybrids, they are a bipedal, humanoid alien species...

...prize goes to me for being the biggest nerd

But I admit, I know that the more animalistic sides to them are a little, well, who am I kidding, they're too cartoonish and lacking in detail. I've bought some animal muscle anatomy books as well skeletal and regular anatomy books as well. I use them as a reference when I draw/sketch but improvement is slow going. So I figure the more practice the better I'll get; which I guess is true with most anything, but that's beside the point XP

Thank you for your criticism, it's much appreciated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is stuff to explain, but I have nothing to prove, so why type it?

Last edited by angel2342; February 13th, 2009 at 04:20 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. That's really strong stuff, man. Glad seeing you posting again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I might be working on avians for a bit, but then again I might not.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya, welcome back Angel!

Just wanted to say that really fast

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been going through some really hard times. This was a therapeutic piece for me. I don't think it's finished yet, but I just wanted to get a scan of it like this before I ruin it. The intention is not to look at the nudity, but to draw your attention away from the nudity with the detail and beauty of the sitar. I could have done A LOT better...I'm not entirely satisfied with it.

Done in my buddhist style; you can't really tell right now, but it'll be more apparent the more I add to this, only if I do decide to add to it. But yeah...

Nøva belongs to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some stuff I finished this week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few concepts I was able to work on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Flower Sniff
    Raver
    Logo

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.