Sketchbook: Be my Hero... Help me get better

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Be my Hero... Help me get better

Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook!!!

There are so may inspiring artists here and everyone seems willing to help each other out, hopefully this will be a good way for me to improve my artistic skills.

I'm just starting to learn to draw, and I'm not sure how best to learn. I've been mainly working from Loomis' books and just got Bridgman's Constructive Anatomy to start to learn from. I've already seen some improvement in my drawing, but I still struggle so much.

Anyhow... crits and comments welcome. And any advice or direction you can give me would be hugely appreciated.

-enough jabber... presenting some of my works:

-the girls are from reference pics I found on the web, 30 - 60 mins
    -the smaller faces were from a magazine, 10-20 mins each
    -the woman's face is copied from a Loomis drawing - 1 hr
    - the hand is mine, 30 mis

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some sketches from Loomis...

Please take a look at my sketchbook

I'm just a beginner, but I'm trying desperately to get better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like I said in my first post... I'm just starting to learn to draw.

If you have any suggestions to help me in my journey, like things I should focus on, please let me know.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to zee boards

Well good start, I see your already looking up Loomis and Bridgeman
    Loomis is a great spot to start, I'm not sure if your just looking at his figure drawing book or some of his other stuff

If you havent yet checked out his book on Heads and Hand
    I would do that, it will help your heads/faces

Theres a link to some of his books here:
    http://www.fineart.sk/index.php?cat=1

Good luck, and keep drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, Ill through out my 2 cents. I guess I would suggest studying up on anatomy. There are various books out there on the net. The Loomis drawing you did is pretty well done. Im pretty inexperienced myself, but my best suggestion for improving is to study up your anatomy and to just keep on drawing.

~IRON

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the kind welcome!

I have all of the 6 Loomis books I could find, and I've dabbled a bit in each, but I've definitely spent more time in his figure drawing book.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One mannequin in perspective... copied
    One mannequin from memory, and two made up
    One mannequin with simplified muscles copied

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are my eyes and some other objects I sketched from life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Copies from magazines and some studies from Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a an idea I had. I tried to draw it larger earlier, and made the figure too static. I'm going to trash it and start again. I kind of like the thumbnail, though, so I'd like to flesh out the idea.

Last edited by TimV; July 31st, 2008 at 10:04 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're on the right path (unlike me). You will get better. xD

My Boring Sketchbook of Invisible Doom
    There's really nothing to see here yet.
    Progress is a difficult thing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice start all i can say is keep studying and draw every day it's really the only way i know to improve

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you want to learn anatomy and construction I have to recommend "The Structure of man" Totally awesome set for learning the rules governing the human body. I think it helped me alot more than the loomis studies since it actually contained a system to help me memorise the anatomy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll have to look into that. $45 for a 5 DVD set doesn't look too bad.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're studying Loomis and Bridgman then you're on the right track.

Just make sure you can understand clearly what your reproducing. Don't just copy for the sake of copying. Analyze and make careful observations about what you're reproducing. What I mean by that is: If you say, draw the structural elements of the human face from a center-right perspective, could you then take the information from that and then do a center left perspective rendering of the human face without referring back to Loomis or Bridgman? What you need to be picking up from these books is not necessarily how something looks in a certain condition or pose, but instead develop and understanding of the shapes/proportions and volumes so that you can reproduce them from any angle. Making this distinction is the difference between progress and spinning your wheels in the mud. Your objective as an artist (or at least what you're supposed to be getting out of those drawing books) is an understanding of form, not simply a reproduction of form.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice. I really want to make the best of my studies, so I'll try to keep that in mind. Do you have any tips or exercises I can use to help get a better understanding of anatomy as I study?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    off to a good start man. definitely put more focus on anatomy and on your faces focus on getting all the proportions of the face right. the loomis studies are good i'd also suggest bridgman because hes really good ref. for anatomy. it also doesn't hurt when working in anatomy you can set up the figure w/ simple shapes and forms such as circles/squares/rectangles/cylinders. also i suggest attending some life drawing classes at a local school. because you will be able to get a lot more from drawing from life. keep practicing and draw everyday. keep posting because your off to a good start.

To live is to create, to create is to live. Without art and music, I do not know how I would get by in my day to day life.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115997

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I certainly appreciate all the great feedback... thanks guys!

I would really like to take a life drawing class, and because a recent move put me closer to some places that actually have art classes, I'm going to take one at the earliest opportunity. Looks like I just missed the winter semester, though so I guess I'll have to wait until Spring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The still lives you are doing are good to train your eye. I'll suggest doing contour drawing and negative space studies to further develop your perception of edges and lines as well as your hand to eye coordination.

Your longer studies shine. Doing real good so far!

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Mission: To push our skills to evolve to the point of giving you visual orgasm.

Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil l

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my advice for your faces is to treat them structurally: dt start right away with the features, first take time and pleasure defining the shape of the skull, locating where the features should be... little proportion tips you can memorize for the face can help you a lot, such as:

a "facing" face is 5 eyes wide, and the space between the 2 eyes equals one eye itself.

the corners of the mouth usually coincide with the inner corners of the eyes.

the spot where the ear attaches to the face is on the same level as the place where the nos attaches to the skin over your lip... sorry if im not too clear but english isnt my first language so i sometimes struggle with technical terms! lol

oh and another thing; when rendering a face, avoid hard lines to define shadow and try to work it more like rendering a painting, unlessur going for a flat style of course... a good tip to remember is that the darkest point in the face is generally the inward mouth line, especially the corners; so keep in mind that all other shadows should be LESS accentuated than this one...

hopefully this was helpful!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 643 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice start thats good i like the sketch of the girl kneeling down looks really good and all i can really say the thing that can help you the most is to draw draw draw practise anatomy and the basics and draw moarrrrr hope all goes well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all of the help guys, it's really helpful. I'm really going to try to keep your tips in mind. It'll really help me progress as an artist.

Here are some more studies from Bridgeman.

Also, I've been trying to get my figures to be less static, so here are some stick
    figures from memory.

The still lives you are doing are good to train your eye. I'll suggest doing contour drawing and negative space studies to further develop your perception of edges and lines as well as your hand to eye coordination.
    I'll do some Contour and Negative Space drawings soon.

oh and another thing; when rendering a face, avoid hard lines to define shadow and try to work it more like rendering a painting, unlessur going for a flat style of course... a good tip to remember is that the darkest point in the face is generally the inward mouth line, especially the corners; so keep in mind that all other shadows should be LESS accentuated than this one...
    I haven't tried painting, although I'd eventually like to start. Still, I think I know what you mean, though. I have been using hard lines. Also, interesting tip on the inward mouth line being the darkest.

Anyone know how other people get the quotes from other posts to have the original poster displayed?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome aboard : ) Seeing where you're at right now, it would be silly to give you advice on individual pieces so the only advice I can throw to you is advice that i'm sure will be echoed back to you countless amounts of times as you progress (as it should be echoed and taken seriously on your part imo). Firstly, your off to a great start. Your drawing all the things anyone interested in representational art should draw. Nextly (nextly?) I would try to nail down proportians like a mother fucker as much as possile. Its soooo important to make things look "right" when your drawing figuratively so I would concentrate on that alot at this stage. Always ask your self what your image is communicating at any given stage of finish (specially in the sketch/design stage!!) if the shapes feel lumpy when they should feel slim and straight, fix it! Is that a sexy smile or a wierd smirk that looks like shes dropping a turd? if its the second one, for gods sake fix it! or even on a more subtle level, does this shape on my paper evoke the feeling of a REAL nose/eye/face/whatecer? If it feels kind of off or funny or even just satisfactory, don't settle for that! don't know how to change it or stuck? Look at how others you admire do it. It's important not to simply gawk and stare in awe at your favorite artist, STUDY the shit out of them. There is so much knowledge to be gained from them. It doesn't mean copying the way someone draws a "nose" but what certain things that person does and sometimes more importantly doesn't do to make that nose feel like a nose (you can obviously substitute nose for anything here).

Thats about all I got at this stage. Happy drawing dude! Your now walking a fulfilling/depressing/awesome/kind of sexy road now.

NYSA grand national champion yogurt slinger - 1874-2061

---------------
    My Sketch Book

Portfolio

Fundamentals of Form - Educational Download

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A Still life (2 apples)

I spent over an hour on this. In some ways I'm happy with it, it's probably the longest I've spent on a single drawing. However, I know it still kinda sucks. I'm not 100% sure what's wrong with it. Anyway, any tips on how to improve would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not much time for drawing tonight :-( but here are a couple brief contours and a negative space drawing as promised. These are tough. I need to start doing more of these.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't read anyone elses comments so sorry if I repeat anything. It's good that you are workin with those anatomy books. You need to work on shading more. Those first faces were looking rough. You also need to work on your line ( I have the same problem ). Instead of doing a lot of scratchy lines do one confident line. I want to see more studies. Oh and those apples are really flat...shadows are not completely black, the shadow shouldn't be what attracts the eye like yours does. Shadows also have diferent shades in them and have some sort of form. Study every shadow carefully. Maybe try just doing one apple so you can concentrate on that alone. Keep posting!

I'm only 15 and would like some comments/critiques/tips so CHECK OUT MY SKETCHBOOK! Please =] http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117399

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the input. I do have a hard time with my lines looking rough. I really need to try to work on that.

And I did really screw up that shadow on the apples. I grabbed my 6B charcoal instead of a 6B graphite - Oops! Anyway... that's why it's so dark.

It's really hard to model form on something that complicated. I definitely need to practice more. But it was way fun! I'm going to do a lot more of those in the near future.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey tim this is a good start on your sketchbook, but as far as i know for the still life figures, try using light contour lines. that usually helps me and trust me on this one, because once you mastered that you can work with the shading and that comes reall easy. just keep working on those studies and experiment a little. hope this helps

"EVERY GOOD PAINTER PAINTS WHAT HE IS" Jackson Pollock

"I am obsessed with the process of creation" Zdzislaw Beksinski

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some arm studies from Bridgeman...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's another apple. Trying to learn to show form... It's really tough. It's a lot of fun though. Any more tips would be appreciated!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.