Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: EOW 78 The Abattoir (slaughterhouse)

Thanks

EOW 78 The Abattoir (slaughterhouse)

EOW 78 The Abattoir

DUE February 6th

an Abattoir is a slaughterhouse. you decide, what is being slaughtered, and when and why.
    links to historical inspiration.....
    > http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth...ghtered-ox.jpg
    > http://www.arthistoryguide.net/wp-co...ryl/bacon2.jpg
    > http://www.ldesign.com/Images/Essays.../Delacroix.jpg

NO description required, say what you need to say visually.

You all did Super! like the icons? Lets do it again the same way!

I am changing format for the polls, Oregano convinced me that his (and oblio’s) system of icon;s and final burning thread is not as difficult as I thought. So Here’s how it’s gonna be. Work on thyour pieces discuss, get crits in this thread. As the deadline approaches I will post a “Final Burning thread”, where you will post your finished image (or in this case images) as you can see this eliminates the need for marking your piece as final and for keeping all your WIPS in one post on the other hand I will also need you to make an icon of your piece no more than 150 pixels wide. Which you outside host and post with your final image…. Got it?

FOLLOW THE TOPIC.

POST YOUR FINAL IN THE FINAL BURNING THREAD.

SAVE YOUR FILES IN THE FOLLOWING FORMAT.
    EOW##_Nickname
    example: "EOW#100_Chaosrocks.jpg"

PLACE THE IMAGE IN A FRAME WITH YOUR NAME/TOPIC

example from CHOW

(you can add CA logo, etc).
    Last edited by chaosrocks; January 29th, 2008 at 11:01 PM.
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    hmmm...
    - My Artwork! -
    www.miguellleras.com

Thanks
    ehhh not too sure about this one...I think I'll leave it to the rest of yee

Thanks
    Chicken!
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

Thanks
    Interesting.. So the inside of an slaughterhouse is an environment too? Or do we have to show how it's positioned in it's surroundings?

Thanks
    hey this is going to be my first attempt at one of these, does it need to be of the inside of an abattoir, or the outside or either

Thanks
    Congratz on the new format!
    Sketchbook. Treat Me Like A Moron
    I'm a dick, sometimes two. Hence my name.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks
    i was assuming inside.. but if you can make an exterior that clearly shows what it is thats ok too
    in olded days tha abbatoirs in the south were openair sheds.....they butchered in the wintertime.
    . Interiors are environments too
    Its not all pretty landscapes

I actually though of this one while listening to Lorne talk about Odd World at the Seattle Workshop

crx

Sketch book

Thanks
    I think this topic is rather strange, it's a challenge for me (I'm not good at interior) and that's good.
    I would not call an interior an environment so I googled for some definitions of "environment" and this is what I got:
    The sum of all external conditions affecting the life, development and survival of an organism.
    Water, air, and land, and the interrelationship that exists among and between water, air and land and all living things.
    Almost all the definitions refer to an organism that relates to the environment. I guess that organism could be an action or an activity too. So this made me look in a different way to these topics. First I was just trying to make a nice picture that agreed with the topic, but now I understand that without the actual creature, action, activity or organism being displayed you should be able to see that it could live there.

I don't know why I'm typing all this 'cuz it'll probably look like a load of crap to you but well, I changed the way I think about "EoW" and I've got some nice ideas now for the Abattoir. Hoping to make some time for this soon!

edit: The idea that I have now is soooo awesome! Damn perspective kills me everytime I try to put it on paper..
    Last edited by Sjouke; January 30th, 2008 at 05:25 PM.

Thanks
    It's fairly standard terminology for concept art that "Environment" is the location/surroundings where the action (of the movie/game/story/whatever) takes place. That includes interiors and exteriors. Lots of classic games are interior only. It's an important skill to develop.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mickeymao For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Chaos --> I definitely see the correlation with Lorne's lecture I still can't get over it; that lecture was AWESOME

Still debating this one, but maybe I'll come up with something and try to actually finish this time. Looking forward to seeing all the final entries nonetheless!

Thanks
    Mickeymao, I salute you for summing up my own inevitably long-winded rant in response to the above.

I usually don't get caught up in the semantic arguments that immediately follow a topic anouncement. This stuff usually works itself out. I think I'm more curious this time... it's just strange to me I guess that an Abattoir is being debated so thorougly as an exterior or interior.

Read up on Temple Grandin. She supposedly leads the field in slaughterhouse design.

An environment is simply the positioning of elements or situations concurrent to the viewer, or put even more simply, "the stuff around you". Inside, outside, it's still an environment. If you're not good at interiors, consider this practice. I'm gonna.
    Last edited by Corrick; January 30th, 2008 at 08:43 PM.

Thanks
    well put... my mother was an environmental lawyer, my father was an ecologist. your environment is simply where you are. your current surronding, and this applies particularly to the game world where your virtiual environmant has been created by someone to serve some purpose in the the scheme of the game. I didn't specify that this has to be an interior
    I wish I had. Lots of games have interiors, I would say nearly all of them do. I hope you take the challenge and try something you are not as comfortable with. And next time I want you to do an interior..I'll say so
    crx

Sketch book

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast