Art: Timmy- a picture book * update 02/09/08 * - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Timmy- a picture book * update 02/09/08 *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy crap this is amazing. The feeling of this is surreal, like a children's book for adults (without sex/violence). I have to say, this is beautiful in so many ways. Bravo.

My work: [link]
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i agree with puddlefish 100%!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is absolutely breathtaking.. You need to get that book published so I can read it. I want no more spoilers!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last batch of shots

I'd like to thank everyone who posted on this thread, specifically GriNGoLoCo, verithin, dusty, nixon snubbed, and puddlefish. I'm grateful for ALL input, positive an negative. My only request is, that if you see something that doesn't work, be specific, I'm tough, I can take it.

Also, any thoughts on what publishers to approach?

This last batch is not sequential (ya have to leave a little mystery)

Regards
    Andrew
    Name:  19-Charge.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  102.9 KB

Name:  20-lookout.jpg
Views: 1601
Size:  195.7 KB

Name:  23.battery check.jpg
Views: 1642
Size:  155.1 KB

Name:  29 pulley.jpg
Views: 1579
Size:  61.3 KB

Name:  30 moonlight.jpg
Views: 1583
Size:  77.4 KB

Name:  34-head to head .jpg
Views: 1581
Size:  118.8 KB

Name:  37-powered down.jpg
Views: 1570
Size:  88.3 KB

Name:  crystals cathedral .jpg
Views: 1628
Size:  286.9 KB

5. The Following User Says Thank You to andrewchase For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That last one is awesome!
    Love this sort of "digital collage" thing you have going here.

One thing I really appreciate is that you have taken the time to take each giraffe and make changes to each of them instead of just taking the same exact post and repeat it back. I get lazy with that sometimes myself when using repetition, but it always looks better when you do as you have done.

Great work!

-D

Portland Oregon, originally hail from Arcata California
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy Cow!... or should i say giraffe . That is amazing. I do a bit of welding myself, sculpture and such, but what you've done there is mind boggeling.
    What scale are your armatures/sculptures, sets?

Very impressive and great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some nice work! Could we see some wireframes as well?

My Sketchbook

Life is a long lesson in humility.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn!!!!!!!!!

Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow thats really great, I thought that was all 3d at first...

Is everything you made, miniature size? I'm just wondering how you took pictures of that to make it look so.. real.. and have so much atmosphere? What is the camera/lens you use?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome work, my friend. VERY inspirational.
    The fact that you BUILT these models then shot and doctored them in PS is mindblowing, especially in this day and age.

I would suggest that you use the language you used in the intro throughout the book. The intro is nicely written and would flow well with the pictures-
    A simple font that doesn't sit on top of the pictures would suffice. Something clean and easy to read that doesn't distract from your beautiful visuals.

As I'm seeing the story play out I'm getting more and more intrigued.
    Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to everyone who posted, your response has been simply wonderful. I wish I had discovered this board years ago, it would have saved me much time and pain.

Dusty - THANK YOU for noticing the different giraffe poses, I had wondered whether it was worth doing or not, now I know

Freeliner - I'm very glad you liked the sculptures, it's always nice to hear from another welder. I let the materials dictate the scale of the pieces, the giraffe is a little over 5 feet tall, Timmy is about 3 feet tall, the cathedral set (and here I admit I went a little insane) is just under 10 feet high and 8 feet long. I built one section with four pillars, shot it, backed up 8 feet, shot it, backed up 8 feet etc...

stalsby - Sorry no wireframes, they're physical models.

Mr-Joe - The atmosphere comes courtesy of "Mr Foggy" a $15 fog machine from We-Be-Toys (Toys-R-Us). I used 3 different cameras, the first one was an actual film camera (gasp), the next, a canon g4, a surprisingly good 4 megapixle point and shoot, and a canon 5d with a 24-70 d series lens. I'm glad I pulled off the illusion and made it look real.
    here's an unretouched shot
    Name:  cathdral unretouched.jpg
Views: 1708
Size:  124.1 KB

kimmygorden - -thank you so much for your kind words. If I could have done it in 3D, I would have, I'm just not good enough. I'm glad you like the intro, several other people have either hinted at, or come right out and said that the rest of the text sucks. They may have a point. I shall have to contemplate how to proceed.

Maestro Andres is offline It's just a nickname, still too far from being one... Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome job, very inspiring! It's great that these are actually sculptures, it shows how much dedication and skill you have. I will definitively look forward for the finished piece, best wishes in getting this published!

SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa

Portland Oregon, originally hail from Arcata California
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What do you intend to do with the armatures now? do you plan on doing more books with the same characters?
    I could see a very impressive book signing setup at some show
    Do you have a back ground in set design? what started you in this style of working?
    Also, what is your process for coming up with those terrific designs for the characters?

I think i agree with a previous comment about page layout in regards to text. Having the page on the left just be the text and the related picture on the page to the right. I know i have seen many picture books set up this way.

About the faunt itself. Have you considered perhaps finding (or making) a faunt that is made entirely of pipes and metal shapes to compliment the images, or would that be too over whelming? I'll sketch up something real quick and post it here.

or jsut have the first letter in the sentence of the page or image be made of pipes...

Last edited by FreeLiner; February 3rd, 2008 at 03:04 AM.

Oblio is offline Pointless. 1st CA student. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well... i LOVE THEM. That being said here is my crit:

Images are a bit monochomatic - there is not much temperature diference betwen light and shadow. See the notes on color theory from workshop or wait a bit - a downloadable vid. should come out.

Text (as content) is not that strong - i agree with the ideea or working with someon else - it will give a richer feel to the book - as two approaches will join. The current lines are just a mimic to the image - pleonastic.

Also try to get someone for the layout - see Living Rope (here on CA) - he ia amazing on that.

I hope the crit helps - it's just becouse tha stuff you did is so good - it deserves the best on the other fields.
    thank you for sharing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd advise against putting a frame around these images, they need to bleed off the page, so the illusion of a greater world outside of the page is given. If the text is mininal a good designer will be able to place type without hampering the image. I'd suggest a clean, modern san serif type face.

If you can, I'd suggest that you print this book slightly oversized, the images are the sort that people will want to see every detail.

Love the last batch of images BTW, the posing of the giraffe is fantastic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The font you use in this instrument dial:

Would work really well for you text I think.

LOVE the new images, the outside shot of the giraffe with its head above the trees is beautiful.

Wacomitis - fear of an empty bank account.

PORTFOLIO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maestro Andres - Thanks for the encouragement.

Freeliner - No background in set design, I'm a commercial photographer so I guess that helps. As for character design, I didn't really design them, I just built them out of the materials I had on hand or had access to (transmission shops are GREAT places for cool bearings, gears, and unknowable widgets.)
    I like your idea of having the first letter on each page being made of pipes, or perhaps different materials depending on the setting of the picture... Anyway, thanks for taking the time to mock it up. Visual examples are very helpful

Oblio - Thanks for your input. Regarding the temp difference in light vs shadow, is that something that applies to photographs or is it a painting trick? I've seen reflected blue from the sky in open shade outside, but not in inside shots. Perhaps I'm not looking closely enough. Thanks again for taking the time to look and comment.

Puddlefish - I like your ideas, the bigger the pictures the better.

Verthin- Thanks for the font suggestion and I'm glad you liked the giraffe in the trees shot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW. I would buy this in an instant. Love everything about it except the text layout.

my sketches here... http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92997

www.sevans.co.nz , visit them or a puppy dies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi andrewchase,
    As most everyone has mentioned, your art and imagery is really nice; the story as currently written and placed on the pictures do not do the art any justice.

I'd suggest, if you can, spend some time at the bookstore in the children's section and check out the variety of new picture books that are out: sizes, type treatment, horizontal/vertical formats, etc.. You might also note if there are any publishers that are already printing 3D or photography-type picture books so that your story and pictures would be something that they'd want to pick up ASAP and work with you to polish and publish (the I Spy picture books by Cartwheel immediately comes to mind).

Also, if you're not interested in becoming a member of SCBWI just yet, check out the reference art market book, "The Children's Writers and Illustrator's Book". It has fairly current information about what publishers want to see when you send a picture book submission, as well as all kinds of additional info (worth getting about every other year or so).

Many of the larger children's book publishers also have set page amounts designated for picture books as well as other criteria to fit their printing and binding requirements (it's why most picture book illustrators/writers do a thumbnail of a "dummy book" first to help determine the layout and design the text to fit the art and vice versa)....Here's an example (not that this is your style at all, but gives you an idea about what I meant when the artist is working with a writer):

http://www.goldenwoodstudio.com/inde...artist-at-work

Hope that helps a bit, too!

t

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm looking at these and gasping for air. They're entirely breathtaking! If I were browsing a bookshop and stumbled upon this I'd buy it on the spot. Also, the fact that it's not 3d but hand-made just never ceases to amaze, I'd love to see more shots of the props as they are.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is an incredible project.. I've never seen anything like it in my life.
    your imagery in the first few pictures was mindblowing.. I thought you had done it digitally with a tablet or something
    I would have never expected physical models
    you did an excellent job covering your bases there.
    a few inconsistancies in the eyes on your main robot dude exsist. but who cares.. this is freakin monumental

Witness the contents of mind, the visions and sounds, the thoughts, as clouds passing through the vast expanse - the sky-like nature of mind. The rootedness of Being is in emptiness, clarity and awareness: unborn, unspoilt, stainlessly pure. ~Alex Grey

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This stuff is amazing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tatiana - Thank you very much for the suggestions and links. In retrospect, life would have been much easier if I had written the book and done some comps before I started shooting. Oh well, live and learn

kinnas - I'm glad you like the shots, here are some set shots of the underworld before I smoked it up.Name:  CRW_3079.jpg
Views: 1152
Size:  159.2 KB

Name:  CRW_3091.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  212.7 KB

a shot of the gerbil wheel as I was trying to figure out how to get the smoke where i wanted it
    Name:  gerbil wheel smoke.jpg
Views: 1158
Size:  118.0 KB
    and a shot of Timmy " climbing" up the tube
    Name:  tube.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  111.6 KB

twitch - actually the changes in Timmy's eye were intentional. My idea was, his eye would reflect his emotional state. Red = afraid or sad, orange = clear thinking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work!

I hate to be the one to mention this, but you gotta be careful with the positioning of elements. In the last finished shot you posted Timmy appears to have a big orange glowing phallus. I assume it's something he's holding in his left hand, but it looks a bit dodgy. Perhaps you could shoot his left arm holding the orange thing in a different position and photoshop it in, so you wouldn't have to redo the whole shot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    illustr8r - OOPS , I missed that, I'll post an update soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    breathtaking imagery.

without repeating anything that has already been said here, I am happy to consult with you (for free) 1:1 on the typography. Not offering to do the work FOR you, but happy to answer any questions 1:1 in a manner that may not be conducive to write-ups on the forum. Just pm me if you'd like any info. I work with a pretty amazing young typographer in the studio, and if there's something I don't know, he will

Once again, your visuals are primo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Timmy appears to have a big orange glowing phallus
    I noticed this too, - I thought Mr Chase was being risque,
    Is that a Tangerine Ice Lolly in your hand or are you just....oiled and willing?

To add to the other glowing reviews, this is the best eye candy I've seen on CA for a while,
    Keep rocking superstar!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's an edited version, but I'd just like to say, I can't believe how uptight you people are. I just tried to show a robot in his natural state, showing a natural affection for a giraffe, in the the most natural way possible, and you guys/girls have a problem with it

Form - thanks for your offer, I'll definitely take you up on it.

Mungus - thanks for the encouragement, I'll save it for those days when I roll out of bed and moan "why do I suck so much?"

Regards
    Andrew

Name:  crystals cathedral edited.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  216.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This has to be the most original and different thing I've seen on the boards for a very long time. I love that you built this stuff out and did it the hard way. I definitely hope you have some of it still set up. I'd love to see a gallery show with the final images printed big size sequentially and with some of the models properly set up on pedestals around the place. Honestly, I would pay to go and see that.

Eight stars.

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This looks very very beautiful. I really enjoyed looking at it. Just wonderful work.

I agree that the font and the placement was not up to the level of the illustration.

I've attached a little type treatment if you want a suggestion. I'm sorry if this offends you and I will remove it from the thread if you want.

The idea would be to give a bit of naive personality to his words... like he is playing games with the words... like the two A's in mountain represent "mountains" and the the "one" being left alone in the word "alone".

Just a thought.

Beautiful beautiful work. I am sure you will find a publisher.

Best,
    kev

Attached Images Attached Images  
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.