Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  scan0001.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  22.9 KB
    Self-explanatory, I think.

Sorry, I haven't done anything productive...yet. My laziness is getting to me...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Ohaeri is offline Cranky? Yep, that's me. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eh, don't be sorry. It's good practice for value, if nothing else. Just keep drawing every day and I'm sure you'll get the hankering to try your hand at realism.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Once again, another concept where I feel like my imagination isn't big enough...This is supposed to be a picture where the girl just radiates golden light and the whole forest gets a golden tint. There's lots of fantastical growth everywhere, etc etc. But I can't come up with any details, only the vague gist...so a lot of the plants here are just fillers. This is really messy, so I don't really expect you to be able to tell apart what is what, but basically there's a river in front of the girl, beyond which is an enormous...tree thing...and the rest is just filler plants.

Name:  scan0003resized.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  114.0 KB

And here's a close-up of the girl:
    Name:  scan0002.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  17.7 KB
    I think maybe her legs are too long, and her right arm looks awkward. No reference used.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh . . . it's better than I can do from my imagination

If you're having trouble finding refs, then try here (I just discovered the site and have been happily warming up with its 30-second drawing utility ): http://www.posemaniacs.com/blog/

The best advice I can offer you is to look up some refs and change a few things about it . . . like, look up a tree that's front-lit and add some details from that to the tree, look up a similar pose for the girl on posemaniacs and draw from there, etc . . . otherwise, it's completely clear to me what the concept is, though if you're going for realism then there's not nearly enough details eh But it stands well on its own, is I guess what I'm trying to say. It's understandable. There just aren't many details to it.

If the inactivity is getting to you, might I suggest using posemaniacs' 30-second drawing utility about 20 times at least once a week? Just do your best to get the essence of the pose down and move on, 20 times in a sitting (which is about 10 minutes for those who are counting). Gesture drawings are a good low-pressure, quick way to bring about at least some progress. Just a suggestion; if you're feeling overwhelmed then by all means, don't force yourself. Sometimes it's good to have a break.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, I did try the 30 pose exercise some months ago. The odd thing was, the more I did it, the worse it looked! The first few I did looked awesome. The last batch looked horrible. I swear, I saw a steady regression...maybe I'll give it another shot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd recommend doing so. Probably what happened was your brain started out thinking, "Oh, I'll just draw this one!" and when more and more came up it sorta got overloaded. But that's the effect you're looking for. You want to work in that mindset, because it's more conducive to loose, lifelike drawings. This is because you're accessing a different part of your brain when you do that exercise than you do when you're doing manga-styled stuff.

When you do manga without the grounding in life drawing, it's all symbols of what you've seen before instead of actual observation-based drawings. The left side of your brain is the symbolic, language-based part of your brain, and it's not made for drawing well without input from the right side of your brain, which is the intuitive, holistic, spatially-aligned side. Ideally you need to have input from both sides of the brain in their due course. It sounds like right now you're only getting input from one.

That's just a guess though.

Anyway, if you want to know more about the different sides of the brain, feel free to have a look on this link.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree..
    =================================
    Sketchbook
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=120761

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  wrinklespractice.JPG
Views: 330
Size:  32.4 KB
    A bit of clothing/wrinkle practice, without reference. I probably should next time... Once I'm satisfied, I'll start a new practice on skin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuroyue View Post
    without reference
    fanficbug is sad in her pants.

Here, have some completely free stock photos to reference off of.

http://www.sxc.hu/photo/991630
    http://www.sxc.hu/photo/963914
    http://www.sxc.hu/photo/951064
    http://www.sxc.hu/photo/942357
    http://www.sxc.hu/photo/930603
    http://www.sxc.hu/photo/908004
    http://www.sxc.hu/photo/896926
    http://www.sxc.hu/photo/896925
    http://www.sxc.hu/photo/896924

I particularly recommend the last four.

Note you'll have to join the site to get at the pictures, but it's a really useful site and completely free, so I would really, really recommend doing so.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everything Fancibug has said is spot on. Drawing from life and making observations of the world around you will help you to think spatially and volumetrically. You cannot think of the object you're drawing as a 2 dimensional object, though the surface you're drawing on is inherently 2 dimensional. It's a very simple concept, but very important to becoming a better artist. This means drawing from life is absolutely essential. So far, we really haven't seen to much of that in your sketchbook. In your latest WIP, does the fabric look in any way like it has 3 dimensional properties, or that it exists in volumetrically on the canvas? Start taking Fancibug's advise more seriously, and I assure you that you will start improving faster than you could imagine.

Start thinking more heavily about things like light and shadow and how they help in making an object appear 3 dimensional. How do they, in essence, define the volumes? Lighting is one of the major keys to good artwork, and if you are moving into the Photoshop arena, it's important that you start learning about it.

Good luck, and lets see some more work from reference!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for your advice. Lighting and drawing from life are two weaknesses I already know about, but am often too lazy to really do anything about (drawing from life in particular.) I will join the site and get started...hopefully sometime soon.

Lighting is just something I don't understand. I don't really understand the way light will fall across any object (...like a face...) that's not a sphere. But I guess that will come with more practice...?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hah. We're very similar. I gave up both DA and drawing anime about a year and a half ago. You can still see a trace of it in my earlier sketchbook stuff. We're also both 16. Anyway your stuff is great, keep it up. I try to draw stuff in photoshop but I'm always so intimidated by failure so I stay away from it haha. Your stuff gives me some inspiration though.

Post more mate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you! And I'm so flattered--there are more inspiring people to look at, seriously. I'm 17 now, but whatever. Still feel 16. I feel the same about photoshop...it's so intimidating, especially when I see all the artists out there who've done great stuff in photoshop, even if they're from DA. Everyone is...leagues ahead.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, finally got off my butt and did some 30second pose exercises again. Realized how bad I am at simple observation. Will do more in the future.
    Name:  30sec (2) RESIZED.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  170.5 KB
    Name:  30sec RESIZED.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  187.8 KB
    Also, I nearly motivated myself to repaint those cloths from the stock.xchng site. Nearly, as in: I even traced out vague outlines of the wrinkles and was prepared to put on some color, but was intimidated at the last second. Sigh. I will come back to it someday...

I realized that when I try to draw in my realistic style, I am only capable of doing small small portrait shots. I can't draw the rest of the body without resorting to my manga style because a)I haven't practiced enough anatomy and b)I can't draw clothes realistically either. Here's a good example of the kind of stuff I keep doing over and over again (and this is the actual size on the paper):
    Name:  dumbportrait RESIZED.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  48.2 KB
    Oh yeah, that's right. I can't even shade the face.

I'm thinking about all these faults and I'm getting discouraged so easily...My main problem is my motivation. Hmm, what to do...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Somehow inspired by Bjork's "Wanderlust", or probably the product of having watched too many of her videos...
    Name:  Yetiwoman.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  133.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  monster of meditation.PNG
Views: 222
Size:  75.7 KB
    It's only an MS doodle, but I'm still oddly proud of having drawn something goofy like this. One day I'll make a whole illustration out of this, with hieroglyphs in the background and everything. But right now I don't have the eliteness for it. And also: painted a cool horn.
    Name:  horn extract.png
Views: 93
Size:  29.3 KB
    It was part of another picture, which explains the black outlining.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is the first (...successful?) time I've done any sort of backgrounds on photoshop.

Name:  Apple in the Sky.png
Views: 196
Size:  72.2 KBName:  funky landscape 2.jpg.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  190.3 KB
    And I haven't been practicing real life stuff recently, but at least I have gotten better at making my lines neater.
    Name:  Leaning Chihiro.png
Views: 190
Size:  32.5 KB

I have been drawing a lot, actually. Just..nothing worth showing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there! I enjoy your stuff. Especially that on your post #6. I'm curious to see it finished. The line-art on your last post is good too, the feet may look a bit strange, but some shading will fix it, i guess

Keep practicing and post some more!

I'm making mess here: Sketchbook .
    also on dA and blogspot

Cool people:
    Rotor | Kristoff | Kingkostas | Angel Intheuk | bbwolf

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Augh, there is some crazy old stuff in here that I'm embarrassed to have up.

Since then, I think the majority of my practice has been half-hearted portraiture and exploration of poses using the human figure. Very, very little else. As a result, I feel like I don't even know how to do anything else at all. It's been a long time since I actually drew any complete pictures with composition and stuff.

ANYWAY. Here's hoping I can butt-kick myself into doing some varied practice. Once in a while. (Because right now technically I should be studying for finals. Oh well!)

Some of you may remember this from self portrait day:

(Sorry, self-portrait has been removed.)
    (Painted-over photo. No color picker used, colors slightly altered to reduce ugliness. I haven't done anything like this before.)

Then:
    Name:  facepractice copy.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  39.2 KB
    Tried to see what I could do on my own shortly after, based on the above, horrors of horrors.

Name:  corpse-rotation.gif
Views: 152
Size:  94.2 KB
    Total of 7-10 hours spent on this animated icon I suddenly decided I want. Cannot stop staring now.

Name:  piello large.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  87.0 KB
    'Request' from one of those online avatar rpg forum whatever sites. Turned out to be something a bit more educational. Am not going to attempt any more tires for a little while.

Name:  gray pencilbox copy.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  16.0 KB
    A...box. Done from imagination.

Last edited by Kuroyue; 1 Week Ago at 06:40 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unsuccessful.
    Name:  body in shorts .jpg
Views: 148
Size:  32.9 KB
    But still more successful than previous attempts. That I won't show you.

Clearly this means I must study lighting, texture, muscles, and use more references.

...Oh, and stop avoiding backgrounds.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An apple on my desk.

The color of the background is...almost the same as my desk, except for the wooden stripes missing. And some other background elements. Took awhile, but I'm satisfied.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Found the black and white version. The lines for the face look better in b&w, but I should have realized that it would have been better to get rid of the lines for the hair when putting in colors. Oh well, it was just a simple 'request' from some random guy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Sketchbook of Suck"? Man, that's an understatement. What a Godforsaken wasteland of attempted art this is. I've seen five-year-olds scrawl out better art on a rainy-day sidewalk than this gruesome mess. A condemned man could draw better with a crayon clutched between his desperate, quaking buttcheeks. Give up, quit and for the love of God in this or any other existing universe, stop victimizing pencils or pens in your attempt at raping an impossibly higher concept known as "art"...ink's more precious than this disaster, even if it's price drops a thousand-fold.

Seriously, I like what I see and I'll keep watching.

On the whole, human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time.
    - George Orwell

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    - Richard Dawkins

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    taking a shot at layers of tiles

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey dude...you're getting better, man. i think like you said, you need to work on the stuff you need to work on. so have at it. get some books, study hard, and go to town! you can do it!

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A (roughly) 2 min. sketch from imagination. Someday I will fill this with muscles.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From imagination. Oops, I didn't realize the jpeg quality was so bad.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Greetings. Have recently finished a month-long drawing and painting program at Parsons. Too bad works are too large to scan, and there's no room to connect the scanner to my laptop anyway. Therefore, have not touched Photoshop recently. At all. But here's an experiment where I pretend to know what I'm doing.

...Hmm. The closer hill sound have stronger lights and darks, possible more saturation? Blades of grass should gradually fade out, but I was actually too lazy for that one. Need some way to do this efficiently. Or just be faster.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Took a stab at lighting a room.
    Name:  light in room.png
Views: 92
Size:  182.4 KB

Also, here's a doodle-poster/banner done on deviant art's Muro program. (Gdit I thought I was going to leave that place for good and LURK IN PEACE.)
    Name:  averagejoe enlightened.png
Views: 97
Size:  213.4 KB

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5