Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Brainfarts: the SoS (Sketchbook of Suck)

Thanks

Brainfarts: the SoS (Sketchbook of Suck)

[WARNING: OLD STUFF IN THE BEGINNING.]

Hello, all! I'm a newbie to ConceptArt. I've spent most of my life looking at anime, and I've pretty much abandoned deviantArt because, well, that place is not really all that deviant.

I'm aiming to develop a style separate from anime and/or turn my anime into something a little more realistic. Or at least less generic and shallow. I have no knowledge about color theory and composition, but I'm hoping to pick up a bit of that here. And the anatomy, too--can't forget the anatomy.

Well, here goes...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay. Being new to this place, the first thing I wanted to do was get a cool avatar. I made a new one, seeing as the only ones I had were either anime or they sucked.

...And then I found out that I can't upload animations. But I'm still kind of proud.

(Original first drawings have been removed.)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Kuroyue; April 16th, 2014 at 06:36 AM. Reason: attach more pictures
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    anatomy is hard stuff man, very difficult. I'm also 16 years old and, not at all into the anime, but sorta the same general direction (illustrationist, concept artist) I have just recently started studying anatomy and even more recently color theory, so I'm not too much help there . But, if you want to look at my thread I'm open to help you as much as I can (may not be that much haha). Like I said, I'm not a big fan of anime, so I'm glad you want to develope a different style of it, I would ecourage you to make it a VERY different style as anime is far overrated and overused. I'm not sure if yo've posted anything and my computer just isn't showing it, or you haven't posted anything yet, but I look forward to seeing some of your stuff.

hope to hear from you soon
    "Don't let anyone tell you what you can't do"
    Pursuit of Happiness

My Sketch Book

Thanks
    Anime is still too much of an addiction to give up...I'm not gonna leave it completely, because it still provides some good eyecandy every now and then. But yes, I want to be able to draw in other styles because that's all anime is good for: eyecandy.

You're not seeing any images? How about the animation? Also, I just posted some more images, so if you check again you should be able to see it. Thank you!

Thanks
    haha ok now I see your stuff, for some reason my computer wasn't displaying them. Now that I see them, they aren't anything like i had pictured them to be like, what you're aiming for is cool and rather lifelike.
    post more!
    Pursuit of Happiness

My Sketch Book

Thanks
    I noticed you're fairly decent with proportions and even better with hair, hair isn't on of my strong points. As for anatomy, I can't tell, as your pictures don't supply any detail. But I recomend lotttsss of referance, I found the best way to learn is to simply look at other threads on this forum. Some of these guys are crazy and you can learn so much stuff.

Good luck!
    Pursuit of Happiness

My Sketch Book

Thanks
    I agree. I can manage with vague figures, but I can't do detailed anatomy with all the muscles and skin texture. The best way to learn is to watch real people, but often I don't get any opportunities to do that (and staring is rude...)...so yeah, I guess you're right.

On the contrary, I am actually struggling with hair. Being so used to anime, I consequently have to fight the urge to make every strand look like a spike. The shaded hair I posted up is the only other way I know how to shade, and I'm not very flexible with it, hahaha...

Yes, it seems that more refs are in order.

Thanks
    It's good that you want to branch out from anime. It's hard at first but you'll get used to it soon enough. :]
    Keep on drawing a lot from life, and photos. Buy some anatomy books while you're at it and read/draw from them. Loomis is pretty good, but I think his books aren't in print anymore...you can still download them from the web though.

Thanks
    Attachment 292601
    Clothing practice...

Actually, I DO have a book by Gary Faigin called Facial Expressions. I haven't looked at it in a while, because it is really text-heavy. It tells you the structure, skeleton, and muscles of the head as well as the way muscles look when pulled into a variety of expressions. I think it's pretty usefull, but too bad it doesn't cover the rest of the body.
    Last edited by Kuroyue; January 31st, 2008 at 09:05 PM.

Thanks
    Sounds like a really great book. I'd love to see some studies from it.

Nice practice, her pose looks good, her head just looks a bit large.
    The clothes look good, you probably could nail clothes by doing some clothing studies, drawing curtains, your clothes, anything made from fibers. XD
    Keep drawing.

Thanks
    Hello, thanks for taking a look at my sketchbook

As for Your work, I think You're doing good so far. I'd suggest doing some still life drawings to improve your shading skills and better define forms in your drawings. And, like others said - study anatomy

Keep drawing and keep sharing
    It doesn't cost You much to leave a comment in my sketchbook, and it can help me a lot.

My new sketchbook

Follow me on facebook or WiPnation or Twitter!

Thanks
    You can find Loomis online, as mentioned. I forget where exactly to go, but do a Google search and you'll find something. I have to say, I'm not very knowledgable in drawing anime; although I do watch some anime and read some manga.

On Manga Volume you can read mangas for free-- Which could be helpful in looking at anime styld art forposes, positions, etc.

I'd also recommend looking at Hayao Miyazaki's art/films/etc, which you've probably done already. But if you can get/rent a DVD and take some still pictures from the movie, or find them online, I think those would be good references too.

Anna Rigby has an interesting style that's more a mix of real/anime; it's defidently worth a look. The link is to her Elfwood Gallery; there's some amazing stuff there.

As for further anatomy/composition/color, I'd recommend glancing in he mentoring areas. Even if they aren'tyour mentor, you can follow the class and do the assignments and see the advice. I haven't looked at these in-depth yet, but these seem to be interesting:

Anatomy Mentoring Class
    Composition Thing

Hope that helps!

--Taven
    Constructive Criticism welcomed at My Sketchbook!

Thanks
    I'm pretty impressed with you last post! the clothing is prety darn good! and I noticed your proportions are very spot on. Although I did notice, you need practice with hands and hair. With hair, don't draw each individual hair, instead try blocking first, and use reflections and highlights to your advantage. This allows you to make the hair not so eye catching and personally I think it just looks beter . And as far as hands go, there's no way to get better at something, especially anatomy, than to practice and practice that one atribute until you have it down. To completely master anatomy, you have to start with bone structure, then work on muscle structure and then the actual flesh. Then you will have a better understanding of how everything is put together.

alright best of luck to you
    Pursuit of Happiness

My Sketch Book

Thanks
    Okay, I'll just make a to-do list for myself, since I check back everyday:

-cloth study
    -still life
    ---define forms
    ---shading
    -anatomy study