Nine or so years of Photoshop and still learning

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nine or so years of Photoshop and still learning

Its amazing how often photoshop can make me feel like a noob. This program is ridiculously deep and has 50 different ways to do everything.

For the past couple weeks as Ive been drawing photoshop has been randomly switching to another layer. Its been a bit frustrating, and breaks the flow of drawing. But its a feature not a bug.

I have alt set up as the button on my wacom pen so I can quickly get the eyedropper. I also have the touch strip set up to scale up and down on brush size. I had been accidentally hitting them together... (alt and [ or ]) which scrolls through your layers. Hot damn. I like it.

Another recent (but less useful) discovery: A friend recently showed me Alt Ctrl move which duplicates your selection (into another layer if the selection is not on the background) but he was mystified by something I had been doing with it. Alt ctrl nudge (arrow keys) stretches the edge most pixels of your selection. Neat!

So what have you learned about photoshop/painter/maya/oils that made you feel like a fool recently?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agreed! I just noticed at work that I can reveal the toolbars in photoshop when working in full screen by moving the cursor to the edges of the screen

-Juhani

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hit F for full screen, hit F again to put it on a black BG, then hit Tab to hide everything.

NOTE: If you get stuck using the text tool in this mode, hit ESCAPE!!!

Also, Edit>Preferences allows you to change key commands! Hooray!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Oaksford View Post
    NOTE: If you get stuck using the text tool in this mode, hit ESCAPE!!!
    Even better, hit the num-pad 'enter' and you get to save your text!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Denart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i recently discovered File>New, and it's really helped

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ciots For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been on Photoshop everyday since 1995. I have always heard there are 15 ways to do the same thing, you just get to figure out what one works best for you. Certain for me, loading my F keys with actions is trick.

Side note: I've noticed over the years that getting high and working on the computer doesn't work that good, but it works great painting and drawing. I figured it out that I am working both sides of my brain with the computer. Getting high allows me to really drop into the deep mystical non linear out of time where trying to remember how to safe and make a new layer fast is better off with just coffee. I do miss the mystical side of making non digital art, nothing like it.

~M

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Easiest way to learn software: Do tutorials.
    Google up some tutorials that relate to what you want to do and do them.

Photoshop is really quite easy to use for drawing/painting. It's when you get into image editing and manipulation that you really must know how to work it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Since you can make your own keyboard shortcuts and actions in photoshop, and map whatever key combo you want to the wacom buttons, i've found a use for those right side buttons which i never would use otherwise. things like flip canvas horizontal and brush size up/down are cool to have handy at the push of a button.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't know if this is a serious thread, but I have deal with annoying errors that in the end I found were really stupid to solve.
    One of them is having my brush cursor to turn into a crosshair, it was very annoying when that happened only to find out it was because the Caps Lock key was pressed. Another one, kinda recent was when I use the eyedropper tool it only picked for my background color. So annoying I even restart PS thinking it will be fixed. Only when I google it, I found it was caused by having the background color selected in the color palette (the one above the history toolbar on the right).
    Other that, it has been helpful learning about adjustment layers, and how to add/modify vector masks for layers. But I agree, that the tutorials on the web are very good to learn new techniques and functions of the software.

SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a 4 page print out of all the keyboard commands sitting in the bathroom. I looke over it every once in a while to try and learn something new.

I can't find a full list in one place any more, but you can start researching here:

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Phot...ab64-76b9.html

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro Andres View Post
    Don't know if this is a serious thread, but I have deal with annoying errors that in the end I found were really stupid to solve.
    One of them is having my brush cursor to turn into a crosshair, it was very annoying when that happened only to find out it was because the Caps Lock key was pressed. Another one, kinda recent was when I use the eyedropper tool it only picked for my background color. So annoying I even restart PS thinking it will be fixed. Only when I google it, I found it was caused by having the background color selected in the color palette (the one above the history toolbar on the right).
    Other that, it has been helpful learning about adjustment layers, and how to add/modify vector masks for layers. But I agree, that the tutorials on the web are very good to learn new techniques and functions of the software.
    Those two you mentioned are a bitch. I kept having that problem, every time it would happen i'd just mash the keyboard till i got rid of it, and even went so far as to reinstall photoshop which fixed them until it kept happening and i finally talked to the right person and they told me what it was. But yeah that background color thing and the crosshair problem early on was a humongous pain in my ass.

Oh and P.S: This is a serious thread Maestro Andres.

Attached Images Attached Images
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by wassermelone View Post
    Its amazing how often photoshop can make me feel like a noob. This program is ridiculously deep and has 50 different ways to do everything.

I have alt set up as the button on my wacom pen so I can quickly get the eyedropper. I also have the touch strip set up to scale up and down on brush size. I had been accidentally hitting them together... (alt and [ or ]) which scrolls through your layers. Hot damn. I like it.
    I actually just encountered this yesterday and wondered what the hell was going on because all of my hotkeys were behaving weirdly, so I reset the computer. I actually thought it was a useful function, just not one I wanted ti replace my brush size or zooms with. Thanks for clearing that one up mate!

The sketchbook thread!

The Art of David and Sarah Cousens: www.CoolSurface.com!
    The Cool Surface Art blog: http://CoolSurface.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DavidCousens

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In cs3 I love that you can delete selected layers when you have the move (V) tool selected...rahter than right clicking on the layers and selecting delete.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by daveneale View Post
    In cs3 I love that you can delete selected layers when you have the move (V) tool selected...rahter than right clicking on the layers and selecting delete.
    What? how?

Sketchbook. Treat Me Like A Moron
    I'm a dick, sometimes two. Hence my name.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Diphallia View Post
    What? how?
    just select any layers/folders you want to delete in the layers pallet, make sure you have the move tool (the black arrow at the top of the tools pallet) selected, and press delete-much quicker than the right click option

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stamp Visible - Take a screenshot of your image on the selected layer
    Cmd+Option+Shift+E

One of my favorite PS features is the ability to select the luminosity of the image, perfect for retouching and popping an image as an overlay. While I haven't been able to get the shortcut to work on a Mac, it is supposed to be Cmd+Option+~.

If you go to the Channels palette, select all of the channels at once, and click the Load channel as selection icon at the bottom of the palette (it's a little marching ants circle), you can do this manually. Once the selection is active, you can copy the luminosity data from any layer and paste it into a new one.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to strych9ine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks strych9ine, I didn't know either of those. I use select all>copy merged>paste pretty often, so that first shortcut will really come in handy.

Eric

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ugh, stupid nub question, but is there a way to get rid of the note tool?
    the shortcut for it is n, and since I use b for brush it gets insanely annoying.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    go to Edit:Keyboard Shortcuts, and take it out....I may just go do that myself now, I never use those damn notes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It took me two years to find a way to remove those notes once accidentally placed. For those eager: Right-Click Oo

Some other helpful stuff:

- As said before, Hit NumpadEnter in a Textbox to get out of it and keep the text. Hit ESC to leave the box ignoring all changes made.
    - CMD/CTRL-click a path to turn it into a selection.
    - Select a path, then click the arrow and select "Clipping Path" to turn that path into a clipping path without having to select it in the pulldown-menu. In combination with hitting NumpadEnter, this is the shortest way I can imagine to turn a path into a clipping path.
    - Dragging the curves of a path is often a lot easier than selecting the points of the path and results in more harmonic curves.
    - Quick way to merge different layers: CMD/CTRL-select them, CMD/CTRL+G group them and CMD/CTRL+E merge them.
    -Quick way to rasterize a text-layer: CMD/CTRL+SHIFT+N to create a new layer, CMD/CTRL-select the text-layer to add it to the layer selection, then CMD/CTRL+E merge it with the empty new layer. For those obsessed with keyboard usage.
    - To color-correct an image via the channels: Select the channel you want to edit, but to reveal the whole composite image, press the eye-symbol of the composite channel. This way, you still have the whole color image in view but you can edit the single channel, for example by CMD/CTRL-L Leveling.

More to come.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.