Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: who else is fed up with art courses?

Thanks

who else is fed up with art courses?

I think this would be the perfect place for a rant, and also to find out how widespread this is.

Art courses these days don't even teach you the basics of art, I went through a lot of courses because of this, and finally gave up on finding a class that actually taught me anything.

These days you are given a project and told to get on with it.

I just really want to learn anatomy, colour theory, how to use watercolours/oils etc. And I haven't been taught anything I've noticed far too many people in art classes don't have any skills, purely because they expect to be taught in class.

I understand there is a need to teach ourselves and learn at home, but isn't real life teaching better than a book, it's easier to learn when you have someone there to ask questions.

There are small adult courses that teach some things, but when you're a student, time and money can be lacking!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,197 Times in 1,728 Posts
    I hear you brother. There are some places out there that teach the "real" stuff... but you have to look for them. Many on this site will know some of the "hot spots" for you to study.

But, in terms of your complaint, we are at the tail end of a long pseudo-intellectual de-evolution process in the arts that has resulted in few teachers in academia competent enough to teach you what you want to know. Luckily many hundreds of great books have preserved the heritage you seek to recover.

David Leffel: Painting Secrets from the Masters
    Richard Schmid: Alla Prima
    John F. A. Taylor: Design and Expression in the Visual Arts
    The Famous Artists Course
    Bridgman's anatomy books
    Bargue drawing course.

etc etc etc.

I once had a 2D design teacher who was the same way, didn't teach anything, assigned projects, acted pretentious. Meanwhile I was busy down in the basement archives of the school library learning all the good stuff... Mucha's lecture notes, composition books, etc... Well, one day I had completed an illustration I was fairly proud of and brought it into class to show this teacher. His response: "So you do good work, so what."

True story.

Best of luck to you.
    kev
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 259 Posts
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Kev: sister hehe but I forgive you!

Yes I've heard there are some really good courses in America, but from what I've seen of england, it's really lacking, I really hope someone can prove me wrong.

Also I'm checking ebay/amazon for those books now, mucha's notes? that sounds amasing, I love his work!

I feel bad for you with what that teacher said, you know, he was probably jealous that someone younger than him had more talent.

I've had awful experiences too, I also think the more acclaimed the course, the worse it is.

My favourite class was in a supposedly awful college, but the teachers were all really passionate and really cared for the students and tried hard, even if they didn't teach what I wanted to know, it made me enjoy it a lot more! I learnt so much art history that year, mostly by myself, it's odd how genuine people who love what they do affect you, huh

Good luck to you too, and thank you!

Seedling: Yes you are so right in all of that. I do try and learn on my own and I'm trying very hard, I will get to where I want to be! but some people just learn much faster through interaction with a teacher and it seems a shame to pay thousands on an art course (getting into debt) to not be taught. It makes me very bitter.

I can't imagine how it was before the internet and art communities, it would be hard to know where to start, with all the books around, and also it's great because you can get many peoples opinions on your work, which is very useful if an art teachers being snobby to a certain style.

The thing I find most laughable is the teachers snobbery to certain styles. It's very weird as the one thing you are meant to be taught in an art education is to see the good points in all styles.

It makes me want to be a teacher just to try and be one of the good ones, unfortunately I'm no good with kids

Thanks
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 259 Posts
    You don't have to work with kids to be a teacher.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    lol must be a sign of getting old, anyone under 21 is a kid to me now.

Thanks
    I considered my basic courses like going to work. It was tirsome, you didn't learn anything helpful in most cases...library work and inner experimentation are what drive todays most successful artists. You think you know the perfect way to draw the human figure, then another teacher gets you for a class and says your doing it wrong. The problem with art is that there is no universal formula that works smoothly for every situation in every person. Thats the price you pay for studying a field that has never really achieved a concrete absolute.

Thanks
    I know what you mean!

I teach myself everything now.

Thanks
    I had an art teacher in grade 10 that teaches almost all the theory and history side of art. It's just terrible that the teacher were talking about the definition of lines and the proper way to give critics while all the students probably just want to sit down and paint something.

I did one unintentionally crappy finished work and only a few sketch in class that year.

Thanks
    I know what you mean, I would suggest using these courses as a stepping stone,
    I did animation for three years and if I had to re do it again I would do things differently I got hung on on trying to perfect my animation skills to the point of obsession was left with not much of a portfolio and noticed that the people who got jobs when the course finished were those who used the equipment to do their own projects, went for simple achievable projects...

on the plus side after I left college I taught myself web design and graphic design and learned more in six months than I did in three years, I think if you can learn and get paid for it it has to be a plus.
    SKETCHBOOK

"There aren't any shortcuts. You've got to dig in – study and draw the world around you. This is the only way to hone your skill and develop a style that is your own". GREG CAPULLO

Thanks
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 2,074 Posts
    I think one thing about an art school is if you treat it like reading ONE book on art, like say anatomy...you'll be limited. Don't be afraid to look for outside sources. I would have loved CA to have existed when I was going to school. It's one of many great resources now.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,278 Times in 625 Posts
    well i was initially frusterated with my art classes. i rebeled and argued with everything that was being lectured at me. the options of where i wanted to take the direction of my art werent being taught.

i was eventaully told to quit acting like a dick and that maybe if i shut up i'd learn something.

so thats what i did. i took multiple lifedrawing classes, every photography, printmaking, painting, and graphic design class available. i devoured all knowledge of the 2D arts. i dominated color theory. i can talk about formal relations and the esoteric usage of blah blah color with loads of thick art speak for hours.

after five years of spending top-dollar on this education i found CA.org and it was like getting a terrible, wonderful rude awakening into the fact that i suck.

i could have spent all that time i wasted in class pretending to learn by actually MAKING work and learning from experience. what did i get from my lifedrawing classes? jack shit. i wasted every second i was in front of those models because i wasnt grasping a far more basic understanding of the craft of illustration.

now i'm still lingering around the college, and i'm the bitter rude son of a bitch that acts like everyone else is a talentless moron. because shit, thats really what they are. i dont see them on this forum, they have no clue what the competition of skill is out in the world. art classes are worse than deviantart in asspats.

there is only so much you can learn from a book, and until you pick up the pencil the words really have no meaning.

listen to the teachers, but take everythign they say with a grain of salt. put your ego aside and let the rebelious passion burn inside. when you get done with the classes bust ass on art like a man making a jail break. dont cave into the weakness the academic structure feeds you, fight it with every breath you have. if you dont stand for something you'll fall for everything.

(also stealing supplies from the art department is fair game)

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grief For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I had an "Anatomy for the Artist, Elements of Drawing" course at the Art Students' League, it was ok but I thought they are supposed to teach you? It basically felt like an open drawing session that was an hour longer.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast