Airbrush List
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Airbrush List

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Exclamation Airbrush List

Hey all, Rabid again looking for some help.

I recently have decided to experiment and incorperate airbrushing in some of my artwork. However, I have precisely 0 knowledge or experience with this media. I am looking for a detailed list or package of things I need to get started. (I will be primarily starting in black only so colors need not apply.)

I also need to know what airbrush companies can give decent materials. I don't feel like accidentally buying a cheap brand that will break or clog easily.

I also need maybe a good link, book, or list for beginning to operate it.

A great preemptive thanks to anyone that will help me out.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I guess no airbrush artists out there at all? I'm quite suprised....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Rabid, I don't have any experience with a airbrush but for the past year I keep saying I'm going to buy one, so I've been doing a lot of reading about them.

If you look in for William B. Hand on this forum he runs the Daily Sketch Group, and he has a sketchbook thread, he uses the Airbrush a lot and I'm sure he can give you some advice about using it... As for an airbrush I know that he uses the Paasche Model VL Double Action Airbrush , You want to make sure you get a double action airbrush, because it controls both the amount of paint that gets released and the air pressure released.

This site here has a great start set, it comes with the hose and some jars, Its the Paasche Model VL Double Action Airbrush, it has both gravity feed and bottle feed, its this one right here:

Model VL Airbrush Complete Set (VL-1, VL-3, and VL-5) $71.40

here is the link: http://www.dickblick.com/zz250/10/

Looks like a good start up set, I know Mr. Hand says he likes that airbrush, and he does some really nice quality paintings with it.

Also I hear Golden Acrylic airbrush paint is the way to go.

I don't know a whole lot about the compressors, but you can get one on that site as well for a reasonable price, and besides paint I think thats pretty much all you might need... Oh also You could look into masking paper and masking tape and stencils, so that you can cut out shapes in order to mask off parts of your painting so they wont get hit with the airbrush depending on what your trying to do.

Hope that helps.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr-Joe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks alot Mr. Joe...that was helpful, I will look into this. Iv'e already been exacto knifing out alot of precise stencils and masks for future work as well! The airbrushing I use would be incorperated with my other mediums of ink and paint. I most likely wouldn't use it for single pieces. More for nice touch ups and smooth shadows here and there. Will read into this!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't airbrushed for a long time but when I did....
    yes the Paasche Model VL is one of the ones I used for acrylics when I did t-shirt painting also a Vega

for finer work though I have two Iwatas, one is a custom micron. If you get into it you'll probably end up with a few guns. If you are just shooting black, I'd probably go with a bottom or side feed.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sicko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I’ve worked a little here at work with an airbrush. Learn the basics and learn them well. With my brief experience it seems like any other medium, start small and work your way up.

I was using a double action brush which worked really well. Getting the knack for finding the air pressure for what you want to paint my take a little experimentation but keep with it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dead Pedal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd send a PM to Jake Kobrin if I were you. He has a link in his sig to some airbrushing that he did and it looks fantastic. I'm sure he'd be more than willing to give you some tips to help get started.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dose206 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the help guys, I would like to experiment with some big nozzels for overall tone and micros for detail filling....I'll see if I can locate Korbin and ask him....

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.