Time to make a choice! cheat to get into modernist art school?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Time to make a choice! cheat to get into modernist art school?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Time to make a choice! cheat to get into modernist art school?

Heya

first short resume of my "life" so far:
    im 21 years old
    i finished "high school" 2 years ago, and have been working / drawing meanwhile.
    Last summer i wanted to apply for a 3D modeling / concept artist program. But due to lack of funds that was dispelled. Now i still dont have alot of savings or anything, but im getting stuck in the whole "ive been working various jobs that doesnt have anything to do with what i want" evil circle, and not developing my personal ambitions a whole lot.

So my standpoint right now is that i WILL start a education this summer!
    comming up this march is applications for various educations here in denmark.

My concern is, the current "i guess" top choice for me would be the "Royal Danish Academy of Arts", but alot have changed there. Now you no longer get admitted for being "good at drawing", those people are actually getting scolded and told off. Thats because of the academy being a contemporary intitute wich only hails the false modernists ways. So in order to get in you have to be : "creative", "full of ideas" and "suck at visualising ideas".

You might wonder, "why bother to go for such a school, if you want to be a Concept Artist?" and its true, that it doenst make sense.

Let me explain : the program there is a 6 years long sparring with some various aknowlegded artist from around europe. And what is even better is :
    ITS FREE if you get in, AND you get the danish educational aid wich is 4300 danish kroner each month for 6 years (approx 800$/month).

I know one of the students there and you can basicly only get thrown out of school for absence. Since there are no guidelines for what to achive there is just 6 years with freedom to paint.

So would it be wrong to apply with false intentions? i mean do something wacko-yet well thought-modernist-scam, get in, and then work my butt of painting realism and developing my concept skills? for 6 years...

i dont know, and if im not getting in, ill be applying for Arts History. i just have to do SOMETHING! wich will release me from 40hour working weeks.

Hope you got some moral advice here.

SMOKE HARDER

MY BLOG'z

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Normally, I would say that this is an unethical waste of your time. However, by successfully pullingthis stunt you could have a hand in changing the culture of the school. Heck, go for it. Just don't let them corrupt you.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    On the one hand, since you are presented with the situation/opportunity, I don't think you can be faulted for trying to take advantage of it. On the other hand, things like this bring out the foaming-at-the-mouth libertarian in me.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Elwell, somehow the thought of you being a foaming-at-the-mouth libertarian makes me like you even more.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
    Normally, I would say that this is an unethical waste of your time. However, by successfully pulling this stunt you could have a hand in changing the culture of the school. Heck, go for it. Just don't let them corrupt you.
    Believe me, i have very strong beliefs in what i do, and for them to corrupt me, they would have to try and convince me of something unlogical, untrue and unfair. which seems rather hard for anyone to do to anyone ( still buggs me how the modernist critics got around the whole "fool the entire world thing).

and first things first, i mean they might smell the hidden realist in me, or i might simply just not get in.

and the economical aspect along with the timeframe at hand tells my guts that i could be doing great progress there, my own atelier, free materials, lotsa sparetime to .... paint more? hehe. and with CA.org to spar with, hey how can i go wrong?

anyways, ima go for it i think.

SMOKE HARDER

MY BLOG'z

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good luck Rune. Keep us posted!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds like a good idea and probably an interesting experience. Somehow this whole situation reminds me of the "Art school confidential" movie.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    or better yet, you can go in with an open mind and the intention of gleaning whatever 'good stuff' there is to be had, without compromising your 'strong beliefs'

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.