Montreal and Ottawa animation schools

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Montreal and Ottawa animation schools

Hi there

I would like to know who actualy studied in Cegep du vieux montreal in Dessin animé ? Actually I was leaving in montreal but we left to go in ottawa. I am finishing a 3d proggram but want to learn things to become a good concepter/designer for animation/movies and video games. I heard a lot about Algonquin and stuff I checked out their work and I like it. I saw some animation from Vieux montreal. But the ones I saw wasn't really my style but I did not see an off I think. So the poeple in cegep du vieux montreal. What do you think about the proggram. Do you guys put a lot of accent on drawing ? I want to developpe a more serious style more movie and disney like and I saw some student drawing this way at algonquin. And it is the same in my 3d class. But is it the same thing at the cegep du vieux ?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you want to be a concept artist for Video Games, you'll need a school that provides serious training in traditional drawing and painting. Look into the curriculums at both schools! If you want a guideline to the skills the industry is interested in, check out the course listings for the Diploma Program in Concept Art for Animation and Video Games at Max the Mutt in Toronto, www.maxthemutt.com. We developed this program with input from major companies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks. Ya I heard about maxx the mutt. But I can only study in Ottawa or montreal and I dont have this much money. Algonquin is affordable for me. But Sheridan and maxx the mutt are too much. And I dont think that going directly in fine art and visual art would be good without a background in traditionnal animation to have the back ground in characters anatomy and techniques for layout and working structure etc. But between algonquin and cegep du vieux I prefer the work of algonquin but I dont know much of the cegep du vieux.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm suggesting that you check out Max the Mutt's curriculum to get an idea of the courses you'll need. You may have to go to more than one school to get all the skills for Concept Art! Perhaps you can attend the Cegap first..it's free isn't it?...and then attend Algonquin. You'll have to do research and then make a plan. Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What I am planning to do is finishing cegep or college than getting experience by working on my own and taking some courses like painting, sculpting etc. And if one day I get an off money I can study what I would need at the moment

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And It would cost me to much loan to get to maxx the mutt since I would have to live in apparment in toronto and it is 6000 the year

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    L'animation 3D est maintenant à Dawson (juste au cas que tu ne le sais pas). Moi aussi j'voudrais etre conceptrice de jeux video, j'ai contacté des personnes à Dawson et Vieux Montréal.

À Vieux Montréal, le seul dessin que tu applique c'est des dessins pas trop complexe (des dessins que TU es capable de faire), le programme n'est pas vraiment pour les gens qui veulent être concepteur artistique. Le style est vraiment à toi de décider. Ce que tu vois là-bas ne représente seulement ce que les étudiants ont appris et ont été capable de faire. Ne juge pas à première vu.

À Dawson, ils m'ont dit d'aller à un programme qui couvre beaucoup plus que l'animation 3D (et 2D), car ce programme est surtout pour les personnes qui veulent être animateurs ou faire les modèles. Encore un fois, le programme d'animation 3D n'est pas vraiment pour les gens qui veulent être des concepteurs artistique. De plus, Dawson est une des écoles (non seulement anglophone) artistique à Montréal.

Si tu pourrais expliquer ce que tu voudrais faire, plus clairement. Je pourrais t'aider encore mieux. De toute manière, je te suggère FORTEMENT de contacter les gens aux CEGEP pour avoir des meilleurs détails et des réponses à tes questions.

Last edited by Living Cookie; January 29th, 2008 at 09:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the moment I want to be a concept artist and designer for character, gears, layout and illustration maybe. I want to go to Algonquin since I hear it is axex on drawing a alot and I made some research. A lot of student I think do simple drawings but a few of them are really hot. Have you heard the same thing as me ? Anyways what counts is taking what you learn to the limit, cuz some people are even good without going to school. I took 3d cuz it was the only french proggram in art I could go to so I can learn more english for a moment, cuz I lost the english test for algonquin,I was going in traditionnal animation. Ou a tu appris le francais ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One thing I liked from Sheridan is the emphasis on disney style but I heard the reputation is not the same as before but anyway it is to expensive for me.

By the way for me those are my favorite videos from cegep du vieux

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lYDquzEPLsw&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=avgMEbHDWJ8

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm currently in second year at Algonquin college and I really enjoy it the teachers really push you.

here's the 2007 showcase reel if you haven't seen it

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7X8wHCWUy9g

Members who have read this thread: 1