A couple questions- advice needed

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A couple questions- advice needed

Hello all, I'm currently a sophomore at a community college in south florida (Miami Dade-Homestead Campus) attempting to major in Computer Animation, however Miami Dade has no Computer Animation classes (how dumb is that?). I do take a figure drawing class, but I don't feel like i'm getting the education I need to become a better artist because as we all know colleges love to force you to take useless classes to suck as much money from you as possible. I have been thinking about just saving loads of money and transferring to Ringling as soon as possible, but I don't want these two years of college to be for nothing. Should i finish my AA in CA resulting in a degree for a field I know nothing about, or should i stop now, get a job and start saving money for Ringling? Is there ANY credits at all that I can transfer over to ringling? Also if I have a high GPA, say 3.77 does ringling even care? Can I get scholarships for my GPA that will help me pay for it? Im quite broke, have no bright futures, and am not willing to take like 100k in loans to be in debt until im 80 years old.

Thanks for any advice.

BTW if a miracle happens and i ever do get the money to go to ringling i plan on changing my major to game art & design or illustration. The only reason I am doing CA right now is because my college doesnt have the others.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Coagulated View Post
    . I have been thinking about just saving loads of money and transferring to Ringling as soon as possible, but I don't want these two years of college to be for nothing. Should i finish my AA in CA resulting in a degree for a field I know nothing about, or should i stop now, get a job and start saving money for Ringling? Is there ANY credits at all that I can transfer over to ringling? Also if I have a high GPA, say 3.77 does ringling even care? Can I get scholarships for my GPA that will help me pay for it? Im quite broke, have no bright futures, and am not willing to take like 100k in loans to be in debt until im 80 years old.
    Better to have debt and a good job (both pretty much guaranteed after majoring in CA or GAD at Ringling) that no debt but no job prospects, at least in my mind.

And Ringling will accept almost all liberal arts transfer credits (so long as your grades are decent) and possibly any art credits, depending on your portfolio. You might even be able to enter as a sophmore.

A high GPA will increase your chance of admissions, but Ringling awards very few scholarships. You might be better off looking at one of the other schools with strong animation programs but have better scholarships.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool, thanks. Well since the deadlines have just passed i have a whole year to save money and make a better portfolio. Hopefully ill get in for 09.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Crap, I added another person to the pool of people I'll be competing against for a spot .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd say go for it! In fact, you MIGHT even be able to transfer as a sphoremore with your liberal arts credits. Have you posted or looked at the Ringling thread? You can find a LOT of answers there. Also, post a sketch book, this way you can get helpful crits so you have a better chance at getting in . Everyone in the Ringling thread is there to help. Good luck!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Coag, there is a link in my sig to info on the games industry. Cheers!

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.