Sketchbook: Terry Wu's Sketchbook (update_05 Feb 2008)

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Terry Wu's Sketchbook (update_05 Feb 2008)

Hi guys, there are some really great artist around here so in wanting to really improve on my anatomy I figured it would be good to create a sketchbook and get some feedback. I'll try and post stuff up as often as I can. Let me know what you think ?

Thanks
    Terry

Name:  Anatomy_001.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  214.5 KB
    Name:  Anatomy_002.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  208.5 KB

Playing around with characters
    Name:  Characters_001.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  206.1 KB
    Name:  Characters_002.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  201.8 KB
    Name:  Characters_003.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  232.0 KB

Last edited by TerryWu; February 5th, 2008 at 11:03 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update_03 Feb 2008

A line drawing that I'm thinking of rendering. I've not done many photoshop rendered images so I''m hoping to improve in this area. Let me know what you think and would love to hear your crits on the anatomy...well atleast the upper half anyway.

Name:  ConceptSketch01.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  57.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, this stuff is good! those anatomical studies of people are really good, just keep studying

Incessant Doodlings of a Wandering Mind (my sketchbook)
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96904

"Avoidance of what you can't draw well doesn't stimulate growth." -Cory Trego-Erdner

"Only the mediocre are always at their best."-Jean Giraudoux

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ignominious - thanks thats really encouraging, I would like to do more so that I feel total comfortable at drawing them. At the moment I feel that I have to really work at them to get anything I feel adequate enough. I like your creature stuff by the way keep them going.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile update_05 Feb 2008

Just a pencil rendering but I still don't find it comfortable yet so I'm going to do more to get the practice in. Any pointers to help me would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Name:  Characters_004a.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  86.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Howdy bud

Your drawings are looking good, I think the ninja guy is coming along very well, especially the pencil render. For crits I would say that the straight arm seems a bit short - his upper arm and forearm need to be a tad longer. the fingers on that hand that are being foreshortened are too far in, they need to be at a similar level to the one at the front. For added interest you might want to experiment his free hand gripping the sheath. the other hand gripping the sword and the corresponding forearm feels a bit unfinished, I think you should tweak it a bit. Finially (sorry bud :p), I think the design of the sword is a bit plain, the hilt and the handle could be better matched with the design of the character. Apart from that you've put in lots of lovely and interesting details, his trousers look cool. No doubt it'll look really nice once you've rendered it in colour

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssongro View Post
    Howdy bud

Your drawings are looking good, I think the ninja guy is coming along very well, especially the pencil render. For crits I would say that the straight arm seems a bit short - his upper arm and forearm need to be a tad longer. the fingers on that hand that are being foreshortened are too far in, they need to be at a similar level to the one at the front. For added interest you might want to experiment his free hand gripping the sheath. the other hand gripping the sword and the corresponding forearm feels a bit unfinished, I think you should tweak it a bit. Finially (sorry bud :p), I think the design of the sword is a bit plain, the hilt and the handle could be better matched with the design of the character. Apart from that you've put in lots of lovely and interesting details, his trousers look cool. No doubt it'll look really nice once you've rendered it in colour
    Hey Ssongro, good to see you on here. Thanks for the great feedback. I didn't really notice the arm being short actually but I'll definitely give it a try. I think your right about the fingers but the idea of gripping the sheath BRILLIANT so I'll try that. I'll look into the other forearm and you're right about the sword I'll tweak the design.

Thanks mate look forward to seeing your stuff on here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good T, makes me want to draw more.

Maybe try softening the hard lines on the muscles, he may be ripped but still looks a little harsh, maybe look at the forearm anatomy too.

The detailing, clothing etc looks great, I'm usually fine with blocking the character in but I fall down at the detailing stage, keep it up man.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.