Sketchbook: My Sketchbook

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My Sketchbook

Hey fellow CA's, my name is Chris and I'm 20. I've been going through the threads for a long time and have finally decided to make my own SB. I was a little reluctant to do so because of all the talent on this site, but I figured I can only benefit from the critiques given. I will try to post as frequently as possible.
    So here are a few quick sketches, nothing represents more than 10 minutes and most took 5. C&C is encouraged.

My Sketchbook

My Sketchbook
    I loaded this image twice, couldn't decide which looked better.
    My Sketchbook

My Sketchbook

My Sketchbook

My Sketchbook

My Sketchbook

Now here are some studies...
    My Sketchbook

My Sketchbook

My Sketchbook

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=116561

Last edited by The Legendary Left; January 21st, 2008 at 05:07 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey dude, if there's one thing that jumps out at more right now more than anything else, i'd say its some of the strange anatomical issues. I think you've got the right idea with the anatomy studies, but be sure to keep an anatomy book out with you when you're drawing from your head as well. see if any of your anatomy books talk about the way muscules work, in addition to illustrating how they work. the writing, though not as immediate, is very informative. i am including a superfast draw-over, hopefully it makes sense.

http://webspace.ringling.edu/~jkendr...tart3acrit.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A good start^^ So thanks for visiting my sb. You learn from hogarth, too, don't you? Keep it uuuuuuuup

thedestroyer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man- you got the right idea. draw a lot + do a bunch of studies. If you can get to a life drawing class-do that. keep drawing, keep posting, keep challenging yourself and growing as an artist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    McLean was dead on. The studies help SO MUCH. Also, try not to outline your pieces as much as you are. Or vary the line weight of the outlines more is what I should say. try to build form with shadow rather than a contour line when possible.

Finally, do as Newbs says. keep posting! Looks like a good start.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to agree with everyone......STUDY! We wanna see some drawings of this! On a positve note, your hands are awsum, just watch the portions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey chris, saw you dropping by my sketchbook(thanks) asking for some pointers... not bad sketches, they show potential!(post more ).
    i dont really have technical pointers to your current stuff, i think thats something that everybody needs develope for himself, more philosophical pointers
    if you want to improve you need to make more studies (from life!/books/reference...) where you try to go as far as you can (accuracy/realism/linewheight/... or speed) to create a gap to your current state. try to hold your pencil in a new way, try to think about the subject in a different way, try to feel the surfaces..... in that created contrast learning gets easy & the progression will be fast.
    yah... and leave the time that you take for a sketch away - thats really not important in my eyes, it may just hinder you in learning new things, its often visible and will just sort you into the common mass. giving yourself timelimits for studys is good, its important for keeping the concentration high, but it should not be understanded as rule because sometimes the brains is up and on to learn something (really) new and this just happens in the moments free of time!

blah blah blah... keep updating

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for dropping by my sketchbook. You asked if I had any pointers for you. Others have already said what I would say, which is to learn to watch proportion and just to keep it up. Drawing all the time is the key to improvement.

"Stickin feathers up yer butt does not make you a chicken!" -Tyler Durden

Come by Sendak's Playground to check out some of my sketches!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First off I want to thank everyone who has critiqued me thus far... Its been a little while since I have posted and unfortunately I will not be posting today but I am doing the cover art and layout for a small art magazine called Loomings and I will post those images in a few days along with some anatomy studies and other sketches...

McLean- Thanks for the advice and taking the time out of your day to actually show me what you meant (with the draw-over... I think a draw-over is the best way to critique a work for the obvious reason that its a visual), and I do see the flaws in the muscles which I have worked on since. I do read the text in the anatomy books, I guess i need a little more work though... Your critique has been an eye opener, and i will definitely read more on how the muscles contract and move. Thanks again I appreciate your advice

TheDestroyer- Thanks for coming by my sketchbook and yes that is definitely a Hogarth hand reference... Keen Eye

Newbs- Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook I appreciate it and the first chance I get to go a life drawing class I will... But I do try to draw people I see where ever I am.... Thanks again for stopping by

Snubbed- Thanks for the critique... I will lay off the heavy outlines, I did it experimenting, its kind of an over exaggerated comic outline... Shading has always been something I have had to work on and the next few posts should show that I've been working on it.... Thanks again

Glory666- Thanks for coming by my page... I will be posting studies in a few days and thanks for the compliment on the hands. I have a lot more of them.

Xysdf- Thanks for the comment, it's most appreciated. I do hold the pencil in a few varied ways I guess these images don't show the range. I will definitely post more studies. About posting my time, I felt it was necessary because I really don't take much time drawing one image, I like to work quickly and i thought this community should know how quick, but after your comment i can see how it might look like I'm trying to make myself look better (in a way) because I say "look how quick I can do this" which could seem like a justification for a flawed image... Sorry about the long response and thanks again for your advice it was insightful.

Sendak- Thanks for comment and I will try to work on my proportions.

Thanks again everyone... I will be posting images very very soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Legendary, thanks for the comments on my sb. sorry it took me soooo long to get back to you.
    that thing with the tongue, you should finish that drawing, it has a creepy look to it that speaks to me. the rest of those guys are right so I'm not going to repeat all that stuff about anatomy and such. I only have two things to say, practice alot, and study alot.
    hope you post again soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome stuff. I like your hand studies. I also like that one with the long tongue and I also think you should finish it. Keep posting!

I'm only 15 and would like some comments/critiques/tips so CHECK OUT MY SKETCHBOOK! Please =] http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117399

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey L.L., Great work you got here, I'm gonna be the odd man out and say I like the heavy lines, to me it makes your work very dramatic, but having too much contour can flatten your image, maybe you could experiment with varying the contours, making them thicker or thiner or gone in some places. Just to see how it turns out.
    Keep up the great work, and thanks for stopping by my sb!

Through the night comes the light that brings the day.
    Through your mind goes the thought that forms the clay.

Sketchbook: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117573

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your sketches look nice , but you've got to post more , and use your studies on your sketches that way you will remember the studies u made to... so expecting more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your lines come off a bit stiff and forced.
    try doing some warm ups before drawing, big loops, free lines.
    also on occasion try doing drawings with just the first try at a line you make.. i think it helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the lines in your first few sketches are a bit rigid, and things look a bit flat, but in your study of hands the lines looks really nice and loose. You should do more of them. :]

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First and foremost I want to apologize for the lack of posts but I finally own a scanner so i will be posting more frequently. I also know everyone wanted to see studies and i apologize i don't have any scanned at the moment but i should be posting more studies and sketches tmrw.

Erick Willand- Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you liked the sketch of the creature with the tongue and i am currently finishing it.

ItalianHorsey- Thanks. Im glad you liked the sketches and the hand studies and I am finally finishing the creature with the long tongue, hopefully it'll be posted in the very near future.

Jillian- Thank you very much for your input, it's much appreciated. I toyed around with the ideas you gave me about varying the contours and i will be posting them in the next few days. Thanks again

Flamable- Thanks for stopping by, unfortunately, I have not been posting as often as i should but i have been applying studies to sketches... so I'm one for two.

Stonecurly- Thanks for stopping by my SB I'll try to do some more warm up sketches

fjooner- thanks for the critique. The rigid lines in the first sketch was done purposely and the thick lines around the other images are also done for a certain look (guess it needs work still) but i do appreciate the critique because it reminds me I have to give those rigid lines some dimention and not leave them so flat.

Now onto the newer stuff... Unfortunately I only have two sketches to post, but tmrw i will have my sketchbook and I'll scan something with more depth and character... Thanks everyone.

Really quick sketch... Had nothing else to post so i figured why not
    My Sketchbook

Hogarth study
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    creepy stuff on the top! more studies on faces and arms though!
    keep at it!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.