Character designs

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Character designs

These are a couple of character sketches for this story I am working on. The plot is in the earliest stages and I don't even have a bad guy yet. The style I am going for is sort of "Industrial Fantasy" (can't think of a better name for it yet) sort of integrating the old swords and shields and magic element with guns, technology, and a culture that is full of Earth-y elements (mafia, westerns, ect.) anyway her are two of the leads so far. Lemme have it.

Character designs
    Character designs

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    learn about folds in cloth, how to draw clothes. the folds are too even, and from your work you don't hold a complete understanding of how they should work.

also think about values, and how there are local values that make certain things have less of a value range. for example a black shirt will have less of a value range than a while one.

value can also help bring things forward and back.

watch out for tangents, this is where two lines meet and get rid of the illusion of 3d. this can be fixed with overlap. an example of this is the bottom of the gun and the guy's collar.

make sure your characters are well balanced, and the placement of the feet look like they're standing on ground.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice characters.

I see you use photos, so
    Here this might be helpfull.
    http://www.fantasystockphoto.com/

http://www.3d.sk/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice two characters you have here. I think I like the first one better. I'd like to see more 'rough and tumble' in the clothes. If my imagination serves me, I'm guessing the man is some sort of soldier or bounty hunter. As such, ripped and blood-splattered clothing would add a lot of drama.

Just my thoughts..overall, really great work.

My Webcomic - System32
    My Tools - Wacom Graphire.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would suggest having a heel on the womans boot because as it is right now she would have to always be supporting her weight on the balls of her feet. I think it would give her more realistic weight and grounding.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks guys, especially afterthought. It kills me, when I sculpt clothing, it's my strongpoint, but when it comes to handdrawn I wind up pulling my hair out.

and Cuchulain, you rock man, that site it fantastic, always find something I couldn't come up with on my own.

Sevan, the first guy is in fact an Imperial Hunter, I did a sketch were he is a bit bloodier and more rugged, but the idea in mind was that since he is sort of a "Government Agent" they would probably keep him in clean garb.

Fat Nat, I am am going to add a heel to her boot, the blade-heel just kinda happened,

Appreciate the solid feedback guys, I'll get to work. If anyone wanted to do any "Madden" my pictures to point out something I could do better, please have at it. I appreciate the criticism when it's constructive.

Last edited by WanderingProphet; January 21st, 2008 at 03:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the overall designs, i just believe because they are black and whites, you should take a little bit of care when shadowing things. The focus (in my opinion) is more on the design, so i believe you should try to make the features clearer (even if that means a 'not so realistic lighting'). Its somewhat hard to see some parts, specially on the guy.

Anyway, the designs looks cool, i like the guy's face, and i believe if you changed the girl's nose it would be perfect!

Keep it up man! Looking promising!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Carbono For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I probably should have just left it at linework, they sketches were only intended as reference pieces for a sculpture, the shading was just kinda an experiment on getting the mood and "finding" the character before I brought it into 3d. Appreciate the feedback

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.