Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #57: Bio-Mechanical Tattoo Gun - Voting

IDW #57 Topic: Bio-Mechanical Tattoo Gun

Deadline for voting: Sunday, January 27

No voting for your own entries! I repeat, no voting for your own entries

Give critiques and comments, we're all here to learn from each other!

Original thread: IDW #57: Bio-Mechanical Tattoo Gun

Last edited by yoitisi; January 20th, 2008 at 08:25 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Artist: Trashy

IDW #57: Bio-Mechanical Tattoo Gun - Voting

Mind Image Tattoo Gun
    The Mind Image Tattoo gun currently is a item that can only be found in the black market. A lot of controversial aspects surround this tattoo gun, likely because it is the first created bio mechanical tattoo gun created. This tattoo gun uses a rare parasite specimen that is capable of latching onto a head of a other species to establish a up link and connect with other minds to feed on mental imagery. Usually these parasites are not harmful however. This tattoo gun is infused with this parasite. The purpose of this crazy idea is this, by connecting to the tattoo gun and then the brain of a human the parasite will project any imagery that person thinks. Say for instance you thought of this crazy tattoo design you want on your arm. Just imagine the design and where it is located and the parasite will feed on that image then then through a little wiring and state of the art technology that image will be shot over to the tattoo gun. From there the mechanically controlled tattoo gun will create the image perfectly onto the arm or any other part of the body.

The parasite itself leaves hardly any imprint to the head however the idea of having any parasite connect to ones head spooks many understandably. Chances of it reaching the mainstream market are still slim. It could highly impact many tattoo artist's in a negative way as well.

Artist: natedogler

T 100
    The T 100, the tattoo artist's little buddy. This amazing tool was created for the soul purpose to help the tattoo artist in their productivity. Due to more people desiring body art and more willing to conform to what everybody else is doing; the T 100 has become an important piece in the tattoo artist's arsenal. It can do nearly everything a human tattoo artist can, such as tracing lines and coloring within them.

Artist: C0mBineD

Artist: PutridusCor

Artist: Lege1

Artist: Nutkin

Music while watching this: linky

Artist: nirudafat

This tattoo gun is used primarily for getting glowing tattoos. there are 3 aquatic slugs attached to the end of the gun which are used to emit a saliva that very easily tints the skin. they have a bottle of ink on top of them which inserts the ink into the saliva glands and hence colors the saliva in cyan magneta and yellow. on the top of the gun is a eel which can emit material that glows. the artist determines the amount of glow (or values in contemporary terms) by pressing on the head of the eel. the gun combines the glowing material along with the pigmented saliva to create a tattoo ink that glows.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As per tradition, some notes on this round:

Trashy: One of these days I'm going to ask you to do a tutorial you know I think your cutlery was better though, so I'll wait and see what you come up with next before I force you to write us a tutorial...

Saturns Gate: Yours was still a WIP I think.

C0mBineD, Lege1, nirudafat: I was a little bit easier with the quality check on yours as you're first timers here, but I hope to see some improvement in future rounds You'll get plenty of crits in here.

Nutkin: I found the idea of adding a link to music to go with the image quite funny, as that is often how I get inspired myself when drawing things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hope I will improve fast then
    and thnx for putting me in the poll anyways

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes sir, no prob, will work harder.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys!

Thanks yoitisi, yeah I don't this this one is really worthy of a tutorial...I'll get to that in a sec...

Some critiques and thoughts. Hope you guys don't mind and hope it helps.

natedogler-I really liked the actual design of that critter. You got this black line that seems to surrounds it though and I think it's affecting a lot of the dimensionality in it. It sorta looks tacked onto the page. There's a lot of harsh blacks in the shadowing in there as well. Try to blend using less blacks and maybe use harder brushes. The strokes on ink bottles popping out of it's back look really soft right now. If your not sure about your lighting turn it into grayscale.

C0mBineD- Same with natedogler, you got this black outline going on...especially around that hand. Observe your hand way more closely and vary those lines and loose some of them all together. your values are far more important then your line work. Cute touch with the brain though. Do some studies in pencil or anything b&w.

PutridusCor Pretty decent design as far as the tattoo gun goes. I'm glad you removed the hand, it was throwing it off a bit. You could work some more on the organic bit. It could use more highlights to it to give off more of the goey effect. It actually looks like a beating heart now that I look more closely to it.

Lege1- That is one seriously creepy tattoo gun......it looks like it came from the abyss of hell

yoitisi I think pointed this out before but you gotta break free from those soft brushes and strokes. The problem is none of the edges or curves are really showing and because of this the form sorta falls flat. The main thing I can suggest it get a standard round hard brush and paint with opacity settings around 80 to 85%. Try doing studies of shapes with edges on them and get the value rights. Maybe doing something like cubes could help you. Slightly boring but it will help. I need to do some cubes too for another reason.

Nutkin - Those little squids are so adorable...poor things lol
    Nice and simple vector layout and design. I really do like those ink bottles. I honestly can't suggest too much here. There could maybe be some conflicts holding it though. Attaching the ink bottles to the bottom might have been better. I could possibly see it obstructing your arm when operating it. Either way you get my vote!

"Such Great Heights" is a awesome song!!!

nirudafat- I think you know this already needs alot more work to it.
    I'm not sure about the design. It looks like a alien critter holding a massive weapon of doom of something. Work more maybe with thumbnails
    before deciding on concentrating on what design to concentrate on. Give yourself more options and work harder on your render next time. Hope I'm not coming off too harsh. I think the imagination is definitely there and the potential.

ME okay render...I just don't think it came off as anything too special. I could of illustrated how it functioned better. The main problem is my perspective or lack of it. The profile view just doesn't work here really. it just sort of "meh" to me. I need to show far more dimensionality in the next one I do. No more standard profile views...they can come off as boring sometimes...and in this case....yeah...meh...

Must work on perspective...must draw many cubes...must...practice...

Last edited by Trashy; January 20th, 2008 at 01:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PutridusCor- love your design

Great job everyone.

There's a hole... there's a hole... there's a hole in the bottom of the sea.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trashy
    cool idea with the mind controlling the tattoo. However, i'm sitting here trying to think of a tatto i'd get, and i can't project a consistent image, and my mind keeps wandering. I'm pretty sure i'd end up with a MENTAL tattoo. ha.

As you said, the drawing looks a bit flat and formless, and the features need clearing up as i don't really understand how i hold it / fill it wit ink. that said, its a pretty fun design and a good description to match.

natedogler
    probably the most bio of them all. The design clearly shows the function of the product and the way that it functions. Good job! The only thing that i felt let you down was the presentation background. the info and descriptions are good, but the background doesn't sympathise with the product. also i lol'd at the tattoo top left - "good luck"

you got my vote. nice

C0mBineD
    I think you're problem with this one was the fact that not many of the parts seem to reflect their function. I'll use your ink box as an example:

What does it need to do:
    1 hold and protect the ink
    2 show what ink is contained
    3 provide a flow of ink to the gun
    4 be filled / refilled / disposable ?

So... it should fulfill and display these properties

I think the black lines on the artwork is a fair comment.

Good job though. and well done for using a hand... user references are critical

PutridusCor
    I think that my above comment applies to yours a bit too. The artwork is very well done, but the form of the product doesn't really give an insight into how it works. It feels like you have just taken the bio element and the mecha element, and just put them in the same image.

however, you do get the coveted Nutkin's image of the week award. sweet

lege1
    I'm glad you made it to the pole, as your design is very different from anything else. I think that your image is still fairly unrefined, but the design is fairly clear. It just feels like you wanted to get it finished and the highlights were a formality. Maybe another hour or so, and the image could have looked a bit tidier. Also, i think you would agree, it would have been better to frame the image with the entire product inside the border. I hope this helps.

me

nirudafat
    Nice job. I think that you could have broadened your value range a bit more. There is a lot of very dark, and a lot of very light. Also, you could play with some sharper lines i think... Very creative idea with the creatures supplying the inks and luminosity, but i think, as i mentioned above, their function is not intuitive.

For example, the eel provides glow, but its the darkest thing on there... make it glow. A simple solution for the function could have involved a more recognisable adjustment switch and some brightness adjustment icons

good job though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    natedogler voted for you! I would really love to see your design animated. The idea is original.

Great work everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This topic reminds me about a strange movie, Existenz.
    Look at this gun:

Voted for natedogler, a great crazy idea.

and thanks for the comments ! (highlights.. )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am rooting for natedogler. his is the only tattoo MACHINE that seems as if it could work on its own as a biomech device...the skin spreaders really did it for me, as my hands get tired from stretching skin at work.

Please next time, call it a machine and not a gun...everybody. It's the proper term for this equipment. Professional artist do not use the term "gun" when they refer to these. It sounds uneducated (and now, you know )

I'd not refer to jasco or photoshop as mspaint. return the favor haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for posting here
    I made this try but I dont finished in time, I put here just to show my try, for the future I hope I will finish what I start, or at least posting before the thread is closed.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.