Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    Might I suggest Andrew Loomis for the Headshots?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I really like the sketch of the overview of the city its really neat. I also wanted to say thanks for all the comments on my work. You have been one of the few to stop in to my sketchbook. Thanks again. I think you will like whats coming if you decide to go further.

Sketchbook: Link

Deviant art:
    Link

Thanks
    Okay, so it's been more then awhile. Infact, it's been a very long time since I've posted anything up here. I want to get back into the habit of doing that, with my work, and sketches, and looking and critiquing other people's work. Doing the CHOW etc., if I can remember to look those things up on Monday. So, given how long it's been, I'm not sure where to start.

I think I'll show off some of my finished works, and then probably another post later with some sketches. Right now my Camera (which is different from the one that turned into a Kraken) is out of batteries... Somehow it has enough juice to take a few pictures, but not to upload them to my computer. It's very eccentric.

The capricious sketch-book of Taven (constructive criticism welcomed)

This one I did for a friend, as part of loosing a bet. I always tell everyone "If you ignore the violence, there's pretty colors!"

This one I got printed on a poster, after some clean up on photoshop to erase some of the background grey. It was a Christmas gift for my mother, framed and all. She always liked this one the best of my works.

No, this isn't a self-portrait. For some reason, people ask that alot. Yes, it's supposed to be a man. You can tell it's in a slightly different style from my normal one, with a lighter coloring and not pressing so hard.

This is a page of my old sketchbook. Two pages, technically. I really like how it turned out.

That's the city of Atlantis, from Stargate: Atlantis. My reference was tiny, and it took FOREVER to do, but I think it turned out well. It's two pages, and this pic is a screenshot. You can see there's a gap between the two sides where you can see the desktop, I'm hoping to get a better shot of it to show off.

I'll see if I can rummage for some more "older" things for you guys, and then work on getting some nwer sketches up, too.

I also want to rant about what the Workshop in Texas was like, which I did attend.

Constructive Criticism welcomed at My Sketchbook!

Thanks

The warrior ones are from the last two weeks, the saltworm ones from the lst few days. More to come.

Last edited by Taven; May 10th, 2009 at 06:31 PM.

Thanks
    hey, thanks for stopping by and commenting on my sketchbook. ^^ btw, page 3 is up.
    i'll pitch in some advice that i can. You're backgrounds are great, i especially like the palm trees/beach and the buildings in post #26 i belive. I also like how the saltworms designs are coming, very creative.
    I'm sure someone already said this but the best ways to get better at drawing anything would by using referense and practicing a lot. That's all thr advise i can give.
    Great job! Keep it up!

Thanks
    Drobyazko-- Thanks! The one with the buildings is actually much older, I've been AWOL with my sketchbook for sometime. I'm trying to get more sketches up, and some of the things in the "inbetween" time as well. I'll try to pop by and look at page 3.

Here's some sketches from the last week or two, I'm trying to use the attachment manager again, instead of the links, and get back into the proper habits. The copyright fill-out addition is new to me, so I'm still getting back into the swing of things.

Name:  blurryconcepts.JPG
Views: 176
Size:  29.6 KB

Name:  facesketches.JPG
Views: 172
Size:  52.6 KB

Name:  gladiatorsketches.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  30.4 KB

Name:  lineworkfordude.JPG
Views: 175
Size:  56.5 KB

Name:  poses.JPG
Views: 175
Size:  29.9 KB

Thanks
    So, you may have noticed that I don't tend to do a whole lot of digital art. The reason is, I don't have a tablet, and my programs (or at least understanding of them?) is limited. I have Photobie (when it works), Brush (my favorite overall, even if it is limited), Inkscape (I can't figure out how to use it), Art Rage (good, but limited)... I also downloaded Gimp, but I haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet.

Anyways, today I decided to try my hand at some digital coloring. Here's an idea of what my process is like. Okay, go look at the image below. See the line work, for the dragon on the armor, and then the face? To get that I have to go to the orignal uncolored picture, in Paint, and use the select tool to draw those lines. Then I have to go back to Brush and mess with it until (there is no button for this, I wish there was) I get it into just black and white. Then I have to save that picture, go back into paint, and color the important parts red with the background white. I open my latest coloring, and then paste the line work ontop of it. The reason it has to be perfect with the only black/white eariler is that because if there's any other colors, instead of disappearing to let the coloring show through, they'll be there as pixel blobs.

Digital coloring is very tedious for me, and not particularily relaxing as art usually is. I did figure out a way to make this cool compilation of my work, though. I put all my images as layers in Photobie (which freezes alot and confuses me, but I managed this) and then saved it as a GIF. (You'll see two because of the size of the GIF file, or something. I had to split it.)

Name:  coloringkarriv4.gif
Views: 176
Size:  542.1 KB

Name:  coloringkarriv_2.gif
Views: 174
Size:  223.5 KB

Thanks
    Well, just a quick update. It's been a busy week, and so I don't have much new stuff for you-- Mostly just going to be posting some things of me playing around with an image editor, and exparamenting with effects. There's one sketch, but for the image editing, you can see that it was all with the same basic image, the one I've been working on, to compare effects.

Name:  gladiatorgearsketch.JPG
Views: 154
Size:  42.6 KB

Thanks
    Okay, so, lots of new stuff. Not all particularily impressive stuff, but oh well. First up are some notes from Reverie in Dallas, TX on the Thunderdome topic that was there. I haven't finished inking and adding pictures to my notes of Lorne Lanning's keynote adress, but that should be coming soon.

Also tossed in are some clothes sketches. The first one, Meleth, goes along with the same world that I did Sulifius (see the first page of this thread somewhere) and Serilla. I may or may not do a portrait of her. The armor is just me playing around with all the different "wear locations" in the correlating game, and what that would look like.

As you can see with the next ones, that have the red hair, I'm doing another version of a previous character (also seen on the first page.) In the other drawing, I used inks to make her braids stand out properly, and in this picture I was exparamenting with other ways. On the left, what I did was overlayed a piece of paper on the drawing, and drew (pressing hard) the lines for the braids. That impresses it on the actual drawing, which is why it stays white if you sketch over it. Sadly, if you press harder (as with a burnishing technique which I typically use) those lines don't stay. The lines in the hair on the right were scraped out using a paper clip... I wasn't really happy with either of the results, but did continue to mess around with technique one on another peice.

I'm getting tired of typing. Last but not least is my progress coloring the four-winged guy. The picture is a little blurry, but in truth I don't like how unsharp the original image is either, though I really think the effect I achieved on the background is nice. I may end up making the background a different color, too, so the various blacks don't blend together so much, keeping the lines crisper.

Name:  hope1.JPG
Views: 156
Size:  39.1 KB

Name:  hope2.JPG
Views: 155
Size:  26.1 KB

Name:  Meleth's clothes sketch.JPG
Views: 163
Size:  51.8 KB

Name:  melethwithcape.JPG
Views: 153
Size:  40.5 KB

Name:  armageddongearsketch.JPG
Views: 154
Size:  35.2 KB

Name:  hairstylesreko.JPG
Size:  58.8 KB

Name:  hairtechniques2.JPG
Views: 157
Size:  22.7 KB

Name:  textureexparamentation.JPG
Size:  61.2 KB

Name:  texturefull.JPG
Size:  57.8 KB

Name:  linefrog.JPG
Size:  108.6 KB

Name:  coloringwingedguy.JPG
Views: 151
Size:  65.8 KB

Name:  texturecloseup.JPG
Views: 150
Size:  25.5 KB

Thanks
    I like Zombie Shadows. It really reminds me of the music The Mars Volta ... more or less from album amputecture. Your also geting better at sketching. I read once that after 2 years of sketching one has the ability to draw anything they desire. Sadly i only got to about year 1 lol ... still sketch but not like i used to day after day. I say that to push you to continue sketching. I like how some of the characters are looking. There outfits are really cool. One test i did for geting more variation and such in for constumes when i sketched was just to throw down for 15 mins speed no detail just mainly shapes to create tons of little beads and feathery looks ... maybe little hooks down the brim of hood. Maybe you could use that to your advantage. As for your digital work think of shape and lighting. Most of your shapes are flat. It takes a while to start geting shape but basicly look at how light hits a shape ... for example eyes sit back in the head so lighting hits strong on the forehead above the eyes and strong on the cheeks (assuming the lights from above) well i hope any of that helped. Lataaa.

Sketchbook: Link

Deviant art:
    Link

Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 Times in 1,969 Posts
    Hello Taven.
    You are in the beginning of your long adventure.I am happy that you seem to be a mature person and taking things seriously.This will get you on the other levels fast if you keep up.

About the H.O.P.E. thing you just discovered some personal part of me(check under my username) Thats one of the most durable motivations because it makes you an artist with a goal and no useless things.

Now you need work with your anatomy.What you may have to do is to leave the digital for some time and get down to memorizing anatomy and understanding how our body works.Well myself i am preparing a small tutorial forum where i will put anatomy tutorials to help people get some more experience(at least as much as i can offer for now).Its not ready yet but i am gathering material to have a nice amount ready)

Its no need to make illustration like studies.Keep it simple.
    Say today i will study front views(maybe) or just torso or just hands.But not only muscular and not only by copying.You have to make the "shaping up".For example when you see what importan muscles construct the arm make some sketches of simple shapes that will look like the certain muscles(indicating each of them)and research their position.I mean you will have to understand that brachialis is "in the middle of" bicep and tricep.
    Thats just to starting making a scheduled training.
    I think that with your attitude you will keep progressing.
    Keep up and thnx for stopping by my sketchbook (i appreaciate it)

Thanks
    Hey guys, thanks for the comments and feedback.

Ravenseye - Thanks! It took me forever to color, I used the same sized pen for the whole thing. Silly me. I've never heard of The Mars Volta, but some people say that it reminds them of certain cultures and how they do their art. Beats me. It came about because I wanted something to draw. One person said a cat, one a zombie, and one a muffin. The muffin kind of turned into a fireball, and I'm told it looks more like a lizard or reptile with a tail. Whatever, I liked how it turned out.

Thanks for the encouragement to continue sketching, I'll try to keep it up. What I really need to do is sketch more using references, and not always do everything from imagination. You can see I'm spending the time to sketch things out concept-wise a bit more, which is a step in the right direction.

As to the coloring digitally, I think I have alot to learn. Most of the tools and how to properly use them still confound me. I'm trying a trial of Corel Painter X for thirty days, so I'm hoping in that time I can learn something.

Kingkostas - You're right, my anatomy needs work. I reallyneed to buckle down and do it, instead of keep putting anatomical studies off. I'd love to see your tutorial forum when it's up, please...

I'd reply more, but I'm tired. Will post sketches, etc, later.

Thanks
    I'm not sure these are in the right order. A number of the anatomy sketches I cringe at, because I think that they're incrediblr innacuerate. Some are half-way decent. I'm also not sure if I managed to get the attachments in the exact order things were actually sketched in. Some of the sketches are from photo reference, and others are quick sketches of the dymanic positions used in various other's work. A few are all from my head, too, though I think which those are is fairly obvious, as they need lots of work. Actually, to put some of this stuff up makes me grimace, but I'm doing it anyways. That way both I and my commentors will be able to see progress... I know alot of them are off and odd looking. Here they are the same.

Name:  sanctuary1.JPG
Views: 140
Size:  24.4 KB

Name:  sanctuary2.JPG
Views: 137
Size:  27.8 KB

Name:  sanctuary3.JPG
Size:  25.5 KB

Name:  Bodysketch_1.JPG
Views: 142
Size:  15.1 KB

Name:  Bodysketch_2.JPG
Size:  16.4 KB

Name:  Bodysketch_3.JPG
Views: 141
Size:  14.5 KB

Name:  Bodysketch_4.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  15.2 KB

Name:  Bodysketch_5.JPG
Size:  15.5 KB

Name:  Bodysketch_6.JPG
Size:  16.9 KB

Name:  Bodysketch_7.JPG
Size:  18.7 KB

Name:  Bodysketch_8.JPG
Size:  14.0 KB

Name:  Bodysketch_9.JPG
Size:  12.5 KB

Name:  Bodysketch_10.JPG
Views: 135
Size:  15.5 KB

Name:  Bodysketch_11.JPG
Views: 145
Size:  16.0 KB

Name:  Beetleridingsketches.JPG
Size:  14.9 KB

Name:  Notes1.JPG
Views: 139
Size:  17.7 KB

Name:  Sunlonbadangle.JPG
Size:  19.9 KB

Name:  bodysketch1.JPG
Size:  13.4 KB

Name:  bodysketch2.JPG
Size:  16.8 KB

Name:  bodysketch3.JPG
Views: 138
Size:  16.4 KB

Name:  bodysketch4.JPG
Size:  12.9 KB

Name:  bodysketch5.JPG
Size:  10.5 KB

Name:  bodysketch6.JPG
Size:  10.1 KB

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1