Sketchbook: LithiumDawn's Sketch book
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile LithiumDawn's Sketch book

What do you think?

Last edited by lithiumdawn; January 22nd, 2008 at 09:19 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got some crazy rendering skills. The first image and especially the image with the ladybug are my favorites.

I think what you could do is nail down some more consistent tones. A few of you images get extremely busy, and its difficult to designate a focal point because there is no real dominant objects to hone in on. In "Hell Scream", for instance, the plates around the head all have too many differing tones, and it sort of discombobulates the composition in that area. This problem is seen once again in your "Larva" image, where everything just seems to run together and the light source is not easily distinguished. In the lady bug illustration, you do use much more consistent and flowing tones, and the composition is much more easy on the eyes: You have dominant figure, and nothing is extremely overwhelming because your whites, your mid-tones and your darks are all managed and balanced.

Remember, throwing curves and shapes onto a composition always creates a visual conclusion: something that will make the eye move in a certain direction. They eye needs a place to start from, a place to return to, and a place to relax. Whenever you begin an illustration, think carefully about where the eye is going to start viewing the composition from, and that is usually the first place you focus on the canvas (i.e. the Focal point). If you pack too much detail into a composition, its very difficult to nail down a dominant shape or figure.

I hope some of this helps, and, of course, the other more senior and more talented members of CA are at liberty to tell to shut up if I've made an error in my CC.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got some crazy rendering skills. The first image and especially the image with the ladybug are my favorites.

I think what you could do is nail down some more consistent tones. A few of you images get extremely busy, and its difficult to designate a focal point because there is no real dominant objects to hone in on. In "Hell Scream", for instance, the plates around the head all have too many differing tones, and it sort of discombobulates the composition in that area. This problem is seen once again in your "Larva" image, where everything just seems to run together and the light source is not easily distinguished. In the lady bug illustration, you do use much more consistent and flowing tones, and the composition is much more easy on the eyes: You have dominant figure, and nothing is extremely overwhelming because your whites, your mid-tones and your darks are all managed and balanced.

Remember, throwing curves and shapes onto a composition always creates a visual conclusion: something that will make the eye move in a certain direction. They eye needs a place to start from, a place to return to, and a place to relax. Whenever you begin an illustration, think carefully about where the eye is going to start viewing the composition from, and that is usually the first place you focus on the canvas (i.e. the Focal point). If you pack too much detail into a composition, its very difficult to nail down a dominant shape or figure.

I hope some of this helps, and, of course, the other more senior and more talented members of CA are at liberty to tell to shut up if I've made an error in my CC.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your feed back I really apreciate it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Oh these are awesome and he's right this is some crazy rendering
    I couldnt even have the patience for this kind of pencil work I think haha

I cant critique cuz I'm nowhere near this good haha

Post more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

Thanks dude, your HERE'S TO LIFE pic is a really cool concept. If you refined it a bit it could really kick ass. Simple pictures are the best.GJ!!

davi is offline Administrator & Community Manager. Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,195 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    you have great sense of rendering form, but you need to think more about how you want to control focus within your rendering so the eye doesnt get lost reviewing all the details.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see you here. I think you should start digitally painting!

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
    1300 Factory Place, Unit 308
    Los Angeles, CA 90013
    www.korpus-la.com
    Blog
    Facebook Page

Twitter
    korpus.info@gmail.com
    Phone: 213-228-2014

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.