Sketchbook: Every day I'm scribblin' - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Every day I'm scribblin'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Velocity Kendall: I'm always glad to disvcover that anything I've said has been helpful. And you're more than welcome to ask me questions, just don't get your expectations up too high.

AustenFM: Thanks so much. I've had the opportunity to look at your sketchbook as well. You have bedazzling work.

So the journey towards a presentable portfolio takes another step forward.

This work is from a competition I entered with a group back in the Fall of 2010. It was called Trimo Urban Crash, and the idea was simple enough. They had a recreational area, and they wanted something to put there that could function simultaneously as seating and a performance space. Snore, boring. I did my own thing.

Unfortunately, sometimes doing your own thing doesn't always work out for the best, and we never progressed past the semi-finals round. I had miscalculated. They allowed the public to come in an vote on their favorite projects, which meant that my project, laden as it was with archi-babble and phrases like "morphological ecologies" was quickly eliminated by voters rightly concerned with my usage of academic pseudo-speak. I've since learned my lesson about that, too. It taught me to write in more readily accessible ways.

Whatever the case, the voters may not have been ready for my next level views on social activism. Perhaps developing a program for the promotion and exercise of free-speech in Ljubljana, Slovenia, a formerly eastern, soviet-bloc country might have been a little premature. It probably also didn't help that I was implicitly advocating loitering and spontaneous social interaction as healthy social activity. I don't know. With competitions, it's always a toss-up. The winner would take a far more conventional approach to the design: http://www.trimo-urbancrash.com/index.php?id=59&lang=en&a=single&project=14110

Their graphics were also leagues beyond ours in terms of quality. What I have here has been updated from where they were in 2010.

Now, I always enjoyed the prospect of a lonely cube just kind of sitting out there on the landscape. Things like that always draw people to them. Triggering a person's "What the fuck is that?" receptor can act as a powerful manipulator. I was always sure of this specifically because I had noticed that youths (myself included) were attracted, via some physic magnetism, to derelict, dilapidated stuff. Be it a broken down car, or what have you, kids will be hanging out on it, around it, or inside of it. My objective was to tap into this primal, subconscious urge. Was I successful? I hope I was.

I've written a lot, but I think that it's important to talk about one's work, especially in an forum environment like this one.

Name:  TRIMO_PAGES_1&2.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  379.5 KB

Name:  TRIMO_PAGES_4&5.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  367.5 KB

Believe it or not, our original submission featured a ludicrous three breakdancers in this last panel. It was our thought at the time that the sheer quantity of breakdancers would give us the winning edge in the competition. We would ultimately lose to many submissions that featured exactly zero breakdancers, which immediately caused us to question our earlier preconceptions.

Name:  TRIMO_PAGES_5&6.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  303.9 KB

Last edited by The Fez; March 18th, 2013 at 05:08 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The Fez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So my plan today was to go and buy some Sumi-e ink and a calligraphy pen, but I was invariably foiled by the fact that Aaron Brothers carries none of those things.

Anyway, I'm attempting to battle my art demons. I almost never work from ref. Almost never. I would probably talk a big game about how important figure studies are, and then go and draw skanks out of my head. Such is my way. It's probably why I have such a limited visual vocabulary. The reason I don't use refs is the reason that anyone might use: They will immediately reveal your shortcomings. You really don't know where you're weak until you work from reference. I am assailed by this fact each and every time I try to draw a human face, and not the cartoonish, stylistic nonsense I come up with.

So I've made a deal with myself. For everything I try to draw from imagination, I will also draw or paint something from a reference, or study some kind of masterwork.

Here is the fruit of that compromise:

Name:  Masterwork_REF_01b.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  408.3 KB

This is probably one of my favorite paintings at the Kimbell museum of art. Portrait of May Sartoris by Frederic Leighton. This is currently a WIP.

Doing studies in photoshop is starting to reveal to me how dissatisfied I am with painting in photoshop. I'm starting that realize that trying to learn how to paint in Photoshop is incredibly self-defeating most of the time. I really should pick up some oils and learn to paint the traditional way.

Name:  SUPER_BATTLE.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  214.8 KB

Some nonsense that popped into my head.

Last edited by The Fez; March 18th, 2013 at 05:08 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    this, this i like. a lot

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That nonsense looks pretty cool to me! Keep up the great work!

My Sketchbook [ACTUALLY UPDATED!]

I have 800 posts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your drawing are so great man!
    oh, and thanks for the posting there on my "meltdown"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,033 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    fantastic stuff man! really digging the industrial and architectural stuff. Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Velocity Kendall: Thanks!

chuck18mp: Thanks, man. Hey, update your sketchbook!

Aragah: Thanks. And hey man, never take art too seriously. If it's really something you want to do professionally, that's something that becomes clear with time.

Metal Fingers: We'll see if I can't muster of the enthusiasm to produce some more architecture type stuff. Thanks for the comment!

Sometimes I go out and try to scour the internet for images, and then I realize that I've got folders just filled to the brim with references already. It turns out that a lot of them feature women of ambiguous moral persuasion. But that's alright. I'm forcing myself to do things I don't normally do, like draw my references consecutively rather than skip to some image I would feel more comfortable with. I'm also painting with color! And I didn't color pick from my reference like I normally do, so that's great too.

Aaaaaaand here's some junk from today. Working mostly from reference. Mostly...

Name:  Sketch_003.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  89.3 KB

Name:  Sketch_004.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  232.8 KB

Name:  Sketch_005.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  200.5 KB

Name:  Fighter_Girlz.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  276.0 KB

EDIT: I forgot. From now on, I'm going to share my music with you all, because I'm a snob like that. But really, music has such a profound effect upon the creative process, and I think it's always fun to find out what other artists are listening to.

Last edited by The Fez; January 27th, 2012 at 01:42 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Fez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GOD!you have some serious stuff here, and a very defined style

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, I really like the comments you make, very witty. You're sort of reminding me of Andrew Hussie's writing, I don't suppose you're familiar with him? It's nice to see someone else who posts their art music, that's become a habit of mine. Still really liking the drawings! Everything looks so fun and deceptively simple.
    Your reference issue interests me; I feel like I have the opposite problem. I can draw accurate enough from reference but everything I try to make up from my head winds up being crap. I Guess it's a bad idea to focus too heavily on one or the other.

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Samszym For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These last updates are delicious! You've got so much character into your figures, liking it a lot! I'll be keeping an eye.

SKETCHBOOK
    BLOGGER - Actually updated once in a while.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies! your skin tones are really good and im digging your drawings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good comments, good art, good music. And I'm taking your idea of posting music. Seriously though, you have a way of putting things, especially in the Critique forum, that has me giggling in front of my computer like a douchecanoe.

Subscribed! Also: Nice butt.

We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.
    - Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebones View Post
    Seriously though, you have a way of putting things, especially in the Critique forum, that has me giggling in front of my computer like a douchecanoe.
    ^This I totally came here after reading a comment in CC.
    And I write down "women of ambigious moral persuasion" into my sketchbook (I keep important little texts and infos there as well).
    I'd love to talk like that but English is quite hard

I like what I see here. Sweet gals I dig the architect stuff too but I'm infinitely far from those, I can just stare at them

Last edited by shiNIN; February 22nd, 2012 at 08:52 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa. So some new changes to ConceptArt? Yes?

The last six or seven months have been pretty crazy for me. I worked as a valet for a good while,
    and now I'm working as an intern at an interior design firm. So that happened.

There's all kinds of sketches and stuff that I will need to upload. In the meantime, here is a painting
    of a residence that I selected at random:

Name:  House_Sharp.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  271.4 KB

I endeavored to do two things. A. I eyeballed both the proportions and perspective rather than
    develop guidelines over the original reference image. B. I did not utilize the eyedropper tool to
    sample colors from the original image. The results are...adequate. Still need a lot of practice with
    this landscape business.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    tasty! love the subtle colour contrasts and the warm inviting interior. are the formations behind rocks or vegiation? maybe use some tree brushes and such to add detail to those parts. im just getting into this painting busienss also so know how much trickier that is done than said however!

btw your post at the top of this page made me laugh and nod a lot. been there, done that, bought the breakdancer..

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Velocity Kendall - Much thanks. Your SB is a source of inspiration for all.

The beginnings of an Audrey Hepburn study that looks exactly nothing like Audrey Hepburn. Have to keep working at faces, which makes me hate myself.

Name:  Audry_01b.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  95.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaap. It's been a while. Again. Big surprise.

Behold. Some nonsense in no particular order and concerning no particular subject.

Name:  MoreSketchz.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  163.5 KBName:  Alien_Soldier_Filters.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  393.3 KB
    Name:  Hovercycle.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  163.7 KB
    Name:  The_Cover_That_Never_Was.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  194.4 KB
    Name:  Alien_Noir.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  166.9 KB
    Name:  Portrait_01.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  34.8 KB
    Name:  terrible_horse_Drawing.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  149.0 KB
    Name:  Murderball.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  347.5 KB

EDIT: Aaaaaaand three more I totally forgot about:

Name:  Afriyeahhhhh.jpg
Size:  32.8 KB
    Name:  ZUPER_DE_TANK.jpg
Size:  26.8 KB
    Attachment 1706025

Last edited by The Fez; February 4th, 2013 at 07:12 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick painting from reference before work this morning (which is about the only time I have to paint... )

I've always thought that it's a good idea, when you're working on values, to utilize low contrast references from time to time. It's more difficult to pick out the tones, and you have to force yourself to work more subtly as a result. You will also train your eye to detect these more subtle shifts. This isn't to say that I'm any good at it myself, or that this painting is in any way a good representation of the aforementioned skill...

Name:  Portrait_01.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  310.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick thirty minute doodle after work.

Name:  Doom_Knight.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  110.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some studies from this morning.

Ballerinas. They're pretty good reference material.

Also note that the first study was done with a hard round brush in Photoshop, and it was a disaster...for multiple reasons. But it was mostly the hard round brush.

I have found that it's often good to experiment with different brushes during study. Firstly, you're getting out of your comfort zone. Second, it forces you to make your strokes more intelligently.

In this case, I chose a far more gestural brush to continue working with, which is great, because I'm not doing still life up in here.

Name:  Ballerina_Studies_01.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  152.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more studies. About 45 minutes each.

I once again affirm the usefulness of studying dancers. I am definitely focusing on essential form and trying my best
    to capture the essence of the position. These kinds of poses are also forcing me to think more volumentrically,
    given that the dancer's body's are typically contorted beyond what you call normal parameters. You have to be very
    thoughtful about the gestures in order to convey the drama of their stance, so capturing everything in as few dynamic
    strokes as possible is, for me, essential.

Name:  Ballerina_Studies_02a.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  71.3 KB
    Name:  Ballerina_Studies_02B.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  60.4 KB

And some tunes:

Last edited by The Fez; February 22nd, 2013 at 10:35 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your characters and mechs are amazing. You seem to have a good ability to capture the 'essence' of the character with beautiful linework and gestures. Your work seems to have everything i lack :p
    Also, i thought it was interesting what you said about studies forcing your mistakes to show, because for me its the complete opposite. I notice my biggest failures when i work from my head. I guess it's all relative. Anyways, great sketchbook i like your work alot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maaan really nice lines!Love the energy they have , makes your stuff look so fluent and harmonic!very nice figures keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heey! Wonderful sketches! Can't wait to see more! When will we get to take a look at more finished works?

I am Othrandir and Othrandir means me.

E-MAIL : NICKOLAYORDANOV@GMAIL.COM

PORTFOLIO

Twitter

Tumblr

CGHub

DA

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome sketchbook!

SHADOWBOOK | BLOGSPOT
    Looking for critique!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I fucking heart your work.
    You should flesh out that Deunan/Briareos sketch.

DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome stuff man. The sketches are epic!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fun, fluid work. your practice of stroke economy looks to be paying off

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    warburton: Thank you for your comments! It's only given that because I tend to stylize my proportions to some degree in my personal illustrations, I'm always working that wiggle room between anatomical accuracy and affectation. When I'm under the gun, and have to neatly reproduce actual, real human physiology, that's when I can't hide behind stylistic flourishes.

Cameli: Will do!

Othrandir: It takes me a long time to produce finished works. I rarely challenge myself with in-depth paintings because I tend to get bored of them before I can finish them. However, I am trying to work myself out of this rut, and have been working on a particular illustration for some 40+ hours now. I'm hoping to finish it up...sometime this year... I'm currently working on becoming more expedient with my process.

Shadow Stalker: Thanks!

skullsquid: Dawg, I heart yours too. Style be like mad trippin', you heard? Also, guilty as charged. I was watching a lot of Appleseed (80's Appleseed) when I did that illustration, and was pretty much in the Masamune Shirow zone for a week straight.

PieMonster: Thanks!

catface: It had better be working for me, because, as of now, it's the only thing I've got going on...

This is a 45 minute lunch doodle. My plan is to generate a 45 minute lunch doodle every day so as to work on rapid ideation and to speed up my process.

Name:  BaronVonInYoFace.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  286.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another 45 minute lunch doodle of questionable quality:

Name:  ScrubSub.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  189.5 KB