Who here has an interest in teaching?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Who here has an interest in teaching?

Ilaekae and I have been running week-long classes in the Classroom for All. I am interested in handing off my portion in whole or in part to one or more people. Do you have an interest in teaching that you would like to explore?

If you are curious but unsure of committing to ongoing classes, you could try just running a single week-long class, to get a feel for your teaching ability and/or your interest.

Post here or send me a PM if you are interested.

(If anyone is wondering, my interests are currently more in reading pregnancy books and getting my house upgraded for the spawn than in running classes. But running the classes has been a great experience, and Ilaekae is great company. )

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    seedling... if you really want to dump it I can cover for you untill we find a replacement. just let me know

crx

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

3. The Following User Says Thank You to chaosrocks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Call me in five years when I actually know something. Then I'd be happy to!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, what a great idea!

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It would be especially nice to have from four to ten "teachers." This way, the work would be spread out so that each could take a turn in rotation, allowing people who don't have a LOT of free time to participate. If problems with scheduling pop up, we just trade back and forth.

I've run into problems myself because of the holiday season, work load and the LMS all occurring at the same time, which makes you feel like an idiot because you find yourself apologizing constantly to the poor students who are just trying to do their best. They've all been nice about it, but it's not the most productive thing for everybody.

We all have different skills and interests. Exposing "students" to this variety is actually helpful, and when the assignments are by different people week to week on a rotating basis, there's less chance of boredom.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My long term goal is to teach, and i would love help, but i fear i don't know anywhere near what you guys know.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I would love to help out, but yeah, uhm, I'm already on to something... Congratulations Seedling on getting one of those curious small humans in a couple of months

As for people saying that they would love to help out but are afraid they don't know anything of value, just realise that teaching is just another way of learning. Set the students an exercise you think helped you getting better at what you do, and if they start asking you questions you don't know the answer on, try to find it together. You don't have to be the uber-master of arts to teach anyone anything.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like teaching, although my knowledge is rather limited..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Slash For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Never stopped me. I'm dumber than all of your dumbness put together...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright since i got the old cat to call himself a dumbass I will help with the teaching if you'll have me.

Toss me a PM so we can correspond with what i would be doing.
    I also probably wont be able to start till next week. I'm flying cross country back to school thursday.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetoblivion314 For This Useful Post:

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I will gladly offer my assistance if deemed worthy.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've always wanted some good tips on actually teaching art to people at my school, cause people keep bugging me.

some day you guys should or massive black should start a workshop on pedagogy or something, that'd be pretty cool

Lol, It sucks that I'm asian. I can't help it if I look like a million other people.

My Sketchbook: Critics and Comments would be AWESOME.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=69016

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I don't know a lot about art, but I do know a thing or 2 about teaching. So if you need any help drop me a pm

19. The Following User Says Thank You to D.Labruyere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, if I knew more then modeling weapons and cars, and acting & modeling, I would help.

FUCK YOU YA PRETENTIOUS DICKS!! BAN ME!!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Digital_Blacksmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright! We're getting some heroes coming out of the woodwork!

Basically, here's what's happening, and what's needed...

We post an assignment that runs a week (Seedling and I have been sort of taking turns) that deals with some very basic fundamentals of art--perspective, anatomy, composition, character development, faces, color, whatever...something not too hard, but hard enough to keep up interest. The assignments are aimed at the people who are maybe just starting out, or more advanced people who realize they have a few weak spots in their own working habits.

My hope is that we can get together a small group of "teachers," each of whom will take a week each in rotation. That way, no one person is saddled with all the work every week. You would come up with some basic assignment and post it on the starting day (ending a week later), and your job for the week would be to periodically drop in and give guidance, advice and some critical review of the work being submitted. This isn't rocket surgery or brain science. It's just down-and-dirty "help a couple of people out" for a week. With 3, 4, 5, or more "teachers, each of us would only have to be heavily involved once every 3, 4, 5 or more weeks, depending on how many of "US" there are. I'll be acting as coordinator in Seedling's absences, and can help you out over "your" weekly turn and in setting up an appropriate assignment.

This IS easier than it seems. Even you out there who don't think you know enough to "teach" on a regular basis know at least one or two things that someone else doesn't, and every one will appreciate your efforts in those one or two areas.

I'm going to wait another day or two, and see how many more we get showing some interest, then I'll formalize us into a list and contact all of you to see what aspect of "art" you'd be most interested in. Those of you who have already volunteered to jump in feet first... THANKYEWthankyewthankyew...

I'll be in touch with everyone interested by early wednesday so we can formalize things and get our act together. One-shot teachers are also welcome. Just let me know that's what you're interested in.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    I'm dumber than all of your dumbness put together...
    Negative intelligence?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldn't mind taking on a couple of mentees, although I'm not totally sure what I would be "qualified" to teach, art wise.

I suppose I have a good enough handle on basic anatomy, I could put on a week long daily class with that and see how it goes.

Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Sepulverture For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Teaching, good medicine. I have taught in state prison, graduate school, art school, and recently in elementary schools. Too busy these days for anything but a big chalk project I am producing. Best of everything! Teaching - good medicine!

~Mark

Thanks
    Thanked 1,366 Times in 319 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I would so love to be involved in this. Could I help out with something on light/colour to start with?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to everyone who has shown an interest in joining this project! You all rock!

To those of you on the fence - this would be a great opportunity for you to try teaching for a week, to see if it suits you. Don't let fear of failure keep you from trying. I assure you, you know more than you think!

Ilaekae is in charge of this now. I'll be lurking and cheering you on.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All I can say is...this is SOOOOOO kewl...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm trying to get this teaching and my mentoring back on track now that the season of distractions is pretty much over, but the updates to the forum software are doing strange things periodically to my connection ability, and it always seems to happen at the worst possible times.

To improve communication a bit, and get this happening faster, I've made a tentative list of people who showed at least some interest in helping out with Seedling's school. Don't panic! This doesn't mean you volunteered your life away--it just means that you might be interested if we could work out the way to do it that you would be happy with...

sweetoblivion314
    Slash
    HunterKiller
    D.Labruyere
    Digital Blacksmith
    Sepulverture
    briggsy@ashtons

...and for anyone else who might be interested in helping out once a month or once every two months, or even ONCE just to see what it's like, just add your name here. My PM is acting funky lately, and is a bit undependable, so I'm posting my email here...

aljmary@verizon.net

so anyone who wants to be in the loop can drop me an email. That way, I can communicate with all of you at one time and go into more detail. This isn't hard, it isn't magic, and it really helps when you're at the bottom of the pile looking up and maybe a bit afraid to ask what some people might think are stupid questions. The Classrooms are where there are no stupid questions. You won't be doing this alone. I'll be more or less partnering with you if you need it when your turn comes up, so don't feel you're getting into deep water here.

To all the people who have been "attending" the classes, we should be back on track with regular assignments within a week or so. Thank you for your patience... Now all we have to do is make cranky Seeding proud of us...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    I might not have the practical experience totally nailed down, but I do believe I have learned hell of a lot about using photoshop and I have watched nearly all the analogue Workshop stuff. I can teach what I have learned but I am far from experienced enough to justify what I teach. I know the processes in creating a painting, the fundamentals, and I would also like to think I know the anatomy but some things are a little still sketchy in that area. I guess with many teaches the flaws in one can be corrected by the positives in the other; thus improving the first teachers understanding of said material.

Hmm interesting, I hope you guys find relevant subs.

If by some slim chance you are interested in what I can teach pm me and I will refresh on what I know in a reply back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would be glad to do selections from my college classes in character design, art direction, storyboarding and so on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't panic! This doesn't mean you volunteered your life away--it just means that you might be interested if we could work out the way to do it that you would be happy with...

...and for anyone else who might be interested in helping out once a month or once every two months, or even ONCE just to see what it's like, just add your name here.
    you sound so disturbingly "kind" in that last post, VecchioGatto hehe
    dunno how i can help but i'm interested, i like to be helpful...another thing i think could be added is an instant messaging part of this, happens quite often people pick up someone's MSN or whatever contact to get some help or ask suggestion, so i think it could be good to build a "network" or specific contacts for people asking for a specific kind of help.Somekind of digital art-text-hotline.

aw please tell me you know what the hell i'm talking about Cat.

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Are you on MSN?

My MSN contact: Infernal_blizzard@hotmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not a complete idiot, you two...not yet, anyway...

I know what MSN is (Vile Microsoft Concoction) but I run Safari on a Mac that's a bit touchy with Micro's products. I'll see what I can come up with...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'v got a mac too, you could just use Adium, which basically is another instant messaging progream wich supports msn aol n other IM contacts.

Here's a link:

http://www.adiumx.com/

and about the art hotline, it should work with specific contacts created for this thing, so we could be available to do that thing only when we want.Al this in addition to whatever you wanna do.

ciao

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.