Dissertation
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Dissertation

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dissertation

Hi

I am beginning to gather information and research into my proposed dissertation question. Which is:

How has digital painting affected illustration today.

I really need to know if there is any writing or existing research based on this theme? If anyone knows of any authors, or websites I could look up it would be really useful. Also, if you have any opinions or anything. Would be great to hear them.

Thanks

Richard

Richard
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    All but the most hard-core analog illustrators use digital mediums for illustration now, because revisions of digital pieces are so much faster, and because digital files are easier to use, especially when communicating with art directors somewhere far away. For examples, go browse the Finally Finished section, and also the work featured across the top banner of ConceptArt.org. Or go to a bookstore and browse the book covers and the children's books, take down artist names, and then research those artists to find out what medium they use.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay, I'm bored of working...
    Thats a pretty broad topic. I found some general digital art books that will probably all contain about one sentence of relevant material. Probably only good for bibliography padding, but whatever.

short reading list from digital art article on wikipedia:
    * Paul, Christiane (2003). Digital Art (World of Art series). London: Thames & Hudson. ISBN 0-500-20367-9.
    * Grau, Oliver (2003) Virtual Art: From Illusion to Immersion (Leonardo Book Series). Cambridge/Mass.: MIT-Press.
    * James Faure Walker (2006) Painting the Digital River: How an Artist Learned to Love the Computer, Prentice-Hall (USA). ISBN 0-13-173902-6
    * Wands, Bruce (2006). Art of the Digital Age, London: Thames & Hudson. ISBN 0-500-23817-0.

amazon search here: click!

I don't know whether your school has access to Athens or any other journal searching thing, but here are some google scholar searches
    digital art
    digital illustration

Other things to look at might be 90s comics (I think that is when obviously digital colouring started to happen, might be interesting? maybe?), the use of the internet (ease of communication as seedling said is a factor in the use of digital work), updates in printing processes, early computer art, the developments of photoshop and painter.

Hope this was at least moderately helpful.

good luck with your dissertation, I handed mine in last week and it was such a relief for it to finally be done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for replying. I can see there are many advantages on using digital. Thanks for the pointers, I wonder if there are any essays or texts written about this area of the digital revolution. Something on which I can expand my research etc...

Richard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameisrichard View Post
    I wonder if there are any essays or texts written about this area of the digital revolution. Something on which I can expand my research etc...
    There might be such texts around, somewhere, but in general the people making the art arenít the ones writing or caring about such texts. The best youíll get from most artists is likely the few snipets they might say on the subject in a blog or interview.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    maybe if you write your own essay and then talk about it.. the changes what you see, differences, improves , and so on...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks. I will check those links out. I was hoping to find some essasys or articles on such things. Suppose I could ask some illustrators directly too.

Richard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    urgh good luck with your dissertation, mines due in 2 weeks and I feel like killing myself with a rusty spoon already....

I found some of imaginefx magazines old articles (which they often have online) useful but I don't know if they will be usefull to your subject or not.

get better or die trying....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hiya, thanks, i have posted a similar thread on the imaginefx forums, just really need to know of any essays or articles based on this. At the moment I am jsut collecting information, soon i am going to go through everything!

Richard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone else got anything, anything to say about the impact that digital media has on art?

Richard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For me, it has completely opened it up. And it has also changed the face of art as we know it, with most people using digital. Im sure there are plenty of painters and sculpters out there still, but with digital art, it opens art up to many other people who cant afford paint or anything relating to traditional art. It is also a good way to teach people how to do art in general, with using colors, shapes, shading, and all that, without having to waste paint on something that is just training.

FUCK YOU YA PRETENTIOUS DICKS!! BAN ME!!

Members who have read this thread: 1