Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Randomself's Sketchbook: Subway Sketches and Self Portraits - 9th July 2011

-- New stuff at the last page as usual --

Hi everyone!

Figured I'd start a sketchbook here so I can get feedback on my work, also to help me get off my ass and draw more.. I have a looong way to go, but I figure this'll help me with that one sketch at a time.

Starting off with some figure studies I did from reference.. Eyeballed the proportions on the first two which resulted in really wonky proportions on the second, so I switched back to using some reference lines in the third.

Will be posting recent gestures too, thanks for checking this out!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Randomself; July 9th, 2011 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Edit topic
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    very nice stuff! i would reccomend you continue to use refrence and buy some good anatomy books. and you're right about the second one the proportions are off. keep drawing and posting!

Thanks

Gestures

Thanks Rockhart. Yeah, I have access to quite a few anatomy books, loomis, hogarth and all and have spent some time doing studies from them. The figures I drew from imagination felt really stiff tho, and my lecturer advocates gesture drawing as an important tool in learning how to draw natural and convincing poses from imagination.

Name:  gesture01.jpg
Views: 2223
Size:  138.0 KB
    Name:  gesture02.jpg
Views: 2007
Size:  131.8 KB

These are gestures done on my journey on the subway to and from school each day.. I stay at the end of the line so I have the benefit of a seat to sketch from most of the time. Most of the poses are quite subtle so I try to emphasise details of the pose like the thrust of shoulders and hips but er, most of them just end up really flat looking.. Even so, such mundane poses are kinda interesting in a way.. cause I'm starting to notice how different people have their own unique way of sitting/standing around doing nothing...

Last edited by Randomself; January 19th, 2008 at 09:13 PM.

Thanks

Life Drawing #01

Gestures from my first live model drawing class. 30 sec, 2 min and 10min for the last one.

Name:  lifedrawinggestures01.jpg
Views: 2234
Size:  468.7 KB

This is what my lecturer called a reality check.. A list of random nouns and adjectives from the class yielded the phrase "Hairy Book" as our subject for a 1.5h+ sketch drawn purely from imagination and without any reference. The point of the exercise was to simulate the feeling of an art interview test that many studios spring on aspiring hopefuls. The question he asked was do you think this drawing can compete on the world stage.....

Name:  hairybook.jpg
Views: 1801
Size:  143.3 KB

I don't think I really need to answer that do I.. >_< .. back to the drawing board..

Thanks

Greek Sculpture Exhibit from the Louvre

Spent 3 hours on Sunday morning at the National Museum here in Singapore where an exhibit of Greek Sculpture is on loan from the Louvre.

Only managed these few drawings (had to rush off for an impromptu jam session), will definately return there to do more detailed studies before these centuries old sculptures return to France in March.

Name:  Greek01.jpg
Views: 2031
Size:  104.6 KBName:  Greek02.jpg
Views: 1804
Size:  93.2 KB

My favourite sculpture of the bunch, Aphrodite rising from the sea.. Solid marble yet the cloth in its wrinkled and wet see through state is totally believeable..

Name:  Greek03.jpg
Views: 1934
Size:  89.4 KBName:  Greek04.jpg
Views: 1750
Size:  105.3 KB

Fun little copic sketch, trying to do more of these on the train instead of just pencil sketching.. Love how freeform it is, just blocking out shapes, light and shadow then slowly detailing it. As someone who can get all tangled up in the details its much more spontaneous than pencil sketching for me..

Name:  Greek05.jpg
Views: 1533
Size:  64.8 KB

Last edited by Randomself; February 11th, 2008 at 02:29 PM.

Thanks
    beautiful drawings you have here, you are much better at drawing with a pencil than I am. Thanks for sharing your work! I look forward to seeing more

Through the night comes the light that brings the day.
    Through your mind goes the thought that forms the clay.

Sketchbook: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117573

Thanks
    Jillian - Thanks.. haha, but you paint so well! anyway, I hope to try out some digital painting sometime soon..

I'm focusing more on hands at the moment.. plenty of willing hand models on the train.. =)

Name:  hands01.jpg
Views: 1449
Size:  102.8 KBName:  hands02.jpg
Views: 1441
Size:  105.4 KB

Some of this stuff is gonna be way backdated, cause I draw every day but somehow finding the time to scan and post everything seems to be difficult for me.. haha, but I shall post them all in time! Need feeedback too please!

Last edited by Randomself; February 16th, 2008 at 02:40 AM.

Thanks
    Hey random! thanks for checking my SB, I can see what you mean by focusing more on the figure, than detailed skelly studies! good point!

Are you (also) a left handed artist?

Thanks
    So I was looking through your posts and I'm astonished that you're from Singapore too. (So am I! So am I!) Are you taking any fine arts course?

I really like the flow of your anatomy sketches. They feel fleshy and raw but at the same time controlled. Shading-wise, I'd say work on your contrast and be bolder with your lines. But you're good! Love the hands.

Thanks

More hand studies and random train people

Name:  hands03.jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  110.0 KBName:  hands04.jpg
Views: 1339
Size:  110.8 KB
    Name:  hands05.jpg
Views: 1336
Size:  105.9 KBName:  hands06.jpg
Views: 1345
Size:  117.7 KB

More stuff, a still life for a change.. still rather lousy contrast despite consciously trying kick it up a notch..

Vhan, nah I'm right handed.. but I can see how you could have gotten that idea, the nicely rendered hand studies were done from photo reference.. hmm.. I might wanna try training up my left hand too tho.. I had a phase where I was trying to train myself to be ambidextrous.. didn't work out too well tho, haha..

Heya Xinleh, you're spot on about my contrast issues.. I realise I tend to be quite careful with my lines ever since I switched back to pencil.. gotta work on that..

Yeap, I'm from Singapore too! I'm actually doing a one year animation course of insanity here.. there's a strong emphasis on traditional skills, and after 3 months I really do see the benefits that they bring.. Nothing like 20+ A3 pencil portraits over 3 months to hammer facial proportion into my cranium, not to mention the anatomy studies.. sigh.. at this stage it's still only more of a sense that something is wrong and having to refer to reference, and not a "oh I know exactly where that goes" kinda proportionameter.. still need to draw mooore..

hmm.. you wouldn't happen to know where I could get a nice hardbound sketchbook, kinda like the ones they used to sell in Borders for $15+ would ya? My old faithful of 3 years has had almost 3/4 of its lifespan consumed in the past 4 months and will probably succumb to graphite cancer in April at the rate I'm going.. anyway, thanks for stopping by!

Last edited by Randomself; February 24th, 2008 at 02:26 AM.

Thanks
    Oh, animation. That's like a... faraway dream I'd like to dabble in someday once I get illustration out of my system. I'm more a fine arts person I think (even though I'm doing design) and stuff I'm more interested in are illustration & art books, as well as comic books and writing. Animation is so cool though. Where are you from previously? (since you're in Sg for a year.)

As for the contrast issue I think you're making progress. I'm not the best person you should ask this, but one thing I notice about your shading is that it's a little weak... ie, maybe work more on the cross hatching, introducing different levels for it. Take for instance the latest drawing of your hand (the anatomy of which I really like) No idea what it's called specifically but notice the round area where thumb meets wrist? You've only done an upward shading of it, neglecting the downward motion in which the structure runs. Think it in terms of a circle. You don't just shade the circle in a flat circular motion but also consider in terms of how it 'pops', ie. its 3dimensional value. Think in terms of the flow & understand how the structure runs. I'd say practise with some basic shapes, but I probably should do that too. XD Also, I've read somewhere that if your shading is too light, try a variety of B pencils. But I think improving your crosshatching is the best way first.

As for sketchbooks, I'm currently working with a new one I got from Art Friend by Daler Rowney, and it's thick and plump and makes me happy. Yellowish too, which just sends my inner fangirl into a squeeing fit. 160 pages, 80 sheets.

And I'd like to say that all those A3 portraits and anatomy sketches make me go green with envy. T___T

Thanks
    Great sketches you've got here. I get what you mean about contrast issues, though.

In the top-left picture, with the hand in the middle, where the ring and pinky finger intercept with the thumb, the shading's a bit off. You've made the lines darker to separate them from the thumb, but it really makes them look like they're touching the thumb. If you're trying to make the thumb look farther away, try not making its lines so crisp, and make the foreground's lines more defined

Visit my sketchbook!

Thanks
    heh.. been quite awhile between updates.. Mind is spinning with animation, modeling and character design, all jostling for attention.. Anyways, had another Life Drawing session last week..

Name:  lifedrawing0210minposes.jpg
Views: 2293
Size:  253.3 KB

10 minute drawings.. worse than the first session it seems.. Tried out some vine charcoal tho, which was quite nice to use.. can get nice swooshy lines from it easily, nice variation of tone and line.. but er, not really demonstrated much in those two I did with it.. haha, but it deserves more looking into..

xinleh - oh, but animation and illustration go hand in hand! The concept art that goes into the production of both animated and live action films is always captivating to look at.. hmm..personally I like Chris van Allsburg and James Gurney's stuff.. oh, and Bill Watterson for the excellent Calvin & Hobbes!

Heh, I'm as Singaporean as they come.. graduated from Interactive Media Design in '05.. which was really more of an exercise in figuring out what it was I didn't really want to do, and deciding to go all out for animation.

Good call on the shading studies.. I haven't done one of those in ages.. er, sometime in poly if I recall correctly.. as for crosshatching, I really like the effects that those olden day engravers/wood carvers employed.. Ink drawings too, some awesome crosshatching going on there..

Oh, I finally found that while the Borders at Wheelock doesn't stock those sketchbooks anymore, the one at Parkway Parade has them in abundance.. heh, one less thing to worry about.. I'm rather attached to these, paper quality isn't as great as the Daler Rowney ones, but they're just massive! Plus now at the rate I'm going, the Daler Rowneys would really burn a hole in my pocket pretty fast..

thebadkitty - yeap, thanks for that! yet another example of drawing what I think I see and not what's actually there, haha.. probably could fix it by shading the whole thumb.. hrm.. I should do more hand studies.. ah, so many things, so little time..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.