P.O.W.! Challenge 1--Getting Even (Deadline extended) - Page 4

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...pithy bits of poetic esoterica...

well ... actually... in the one case that i've done with this situation (aspect ratio adjustment to rice sized page) the artist (bowlin from this site) provided a decorative border and we split the difference. so instead of (*grabs ruler and does some quick measurements... ) ... uhh ... 1" to spare on one side, it's more like .5(1/2") - .625" (5/8") on either one. and in this case it complimented the story quite well.

rthythm—>

yeah i see what you mean: keep participating in the activity and get better wtih practice. develop a flow that feels natural to the respective artist.

spelling grammar—>
    yeah it's a big deal ... i know it's tedious to fix after the page is done but really it is a huge blow to the end product for theres bein wordz misspelttz N the end product. one of the cool things about comics is how everything can be a little more poetic and rely on the images. I've had to contact folks re: text too small or words misspelt. of course, there is such thing as artistic license and that has to be considered. maybe the character actually talks that way. or that's part of the flaiir of the story. i.e. Will Eisner's stuff... lots of drunk rumblings in there . hehe. best bet is to make damn sure it reads like you want it to.

thanks, looking forward to this... i even has an idea for it. NONFICTION EVEN!

wootles

gugg
    j

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ryuartyi: work the dialogues boxes at the same time than the rest of the page.
    is good for the composition and the narration.
    gwenevere made some good suggestions, try many pages before to do the finals to see what works(make some sketches in another piece of paper, and then put it together with the rest of the page to try different compositions)

keep going

gwenevere:he, yes i know what you mean about working the story in the head.cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Page 2 WIP.
    Name:  hockey comic wip2.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  156.2 KB
    Page 3 WIP.
    Name:  hockey comic wip3.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  148.3 KB

Last edited by arttorney; January 22nd, 2008 at 12:51 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got some rough pencils and dialogue down. Thought I'd go for a more literal interpretation of the topic.
    I will change the composition a little in the final so that none of the panels cut directly across the middle of the page but I'm rather liking it so far. Not sure about the dialogue, but the character in my head is definitely the sweary type. Thoughts?

P.O.W.! Challenge 1--Getting Even (Deadline extended)

Last edited by Melonby; January 22nd, 2008 at 06:30 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Arttorney, I can't wait to see where you're takin' this...

Melonby, NICE take on the topic...I like the way your mind works.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woo pencillin time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    Arttorney, I can't wait to see where you're takin' this...

Melonby, NICE take on the topic...I like the way your mind works.
    Thanks. I know these WIPs are rough, but I wanted to put up something to show people they don't have to feel constrained by rules. There's plenty of room to be unusual in this format.

Melonby is thinking outside of the box in terms of the story, whereas I am mainly thinking outside the box in terms of the boxes.
    Name:  hockey comic wip4.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  122.2 KB

Last edited by arttorney; January 22nd, 2008 at 10:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my rough sketch/layout/color thingy..
    Edit: worked on the text a bit. here's the old text, if anybody is interested

Last edited by xenos; January 23rd, 2008 at 11:45 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn..i'd better get crackin'

I'm drawing a blankin my sketchbook, that is

Ye-ha! I actually completed my site.Check it out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my little short story. "Cure"

Please don't take to poll!

P.O.W.! Challenge 1--Getting Even (Deadline extended)P.O.W.! Challenge 1--Getting Even (Deadline extended)

Last edited by Hideyoshi; January 24th, 2008 at 01:16 PM.
    --(-)|dE--

portfolio

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hideyoshi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Argh, Hide. You rock my undies! And had a similar idea to mine T_T

why not take to poll?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeitwolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'That bastard was going to pay'

hah, I have that exact phrase on my comic I am doing. Nice looking thought

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JonZ_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    worked on the colors for the first page. I decided i wanted some moody colors at least, as there will no action scenes my story. You know, so it wont be too boring..
    did i overdo the first panel with all the colors?
    I wanted to show him dreaming of his past, like the good old days. When he still could kill vampires and such

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Grief View Post
    well i guess i've set the bar.
    and set it pretty damn far low i have.
    Buuuullshit! Your 1st Page had me in stitches man!!

Someone hire this man to do this weekly! Fuck!

My Website

My Blog

My Facebook

Currently for hire as freelancer!]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic comic Hideyoshi!

By the way. I just found some manga halftone patterns for Photoshop - http://wwwusic.net/design/2007/12/ww...screentone.php (there should be download button)
    For gradient halftone it would propably easier to use clone-stamp tool on seperate bitmap image.

I might be a bit pointless but I find that flat grey color looks too sterile and plastic together with hairy ink lines .

Last edited by Farvus; January 24th, 2008 at 02:51 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hideyoshi: good story - I love the twist at the end, and it's well-paced... The tones are looking all rough and moire-patterned, though, which kind of interferes with the line drawing. Was this a bitmap toned at a bigger size and shrunk down?

xenos: Well, I like the story - hey, it's got vampires, that's good enough for me! One thing, though, the last page suddenly feels kind of simple and cartoony in mood compared to the preceding pages. Not sure how to explain, but I think it could have more dramatic camera angles, less bright lighting, more subtle pacing somehow...? It just feels like such a break in the mood. Especially the side-on view of the coffin with the lid popping off...

If you're actually going for a total break in mood, then never mind me!

As for the colors, the only thing that feels like it MIGHT be overkill to me is maybe the spirally bit - at first I thought it was a filter (had to look twice before I saw it wasn't, but by that time I couldn't get the idea of tacky filters out of my head...) But that could be completely subjective, of course.

Arttorney: Looks interesting so far, can't wait to see what you'll do with it - I'm a big fan of wild and crazy layouts, myself - keep going!

Melonby: Hahaaa, cute take on the brief! I would never have thought of that, but it's so devious, I love it. Re: dialogue, go ahead and cuss, it fits the mood! ("Purple guys"? I don't know why, but that amuses me...)

Anyway, here's where I'm at so far: Character designs and very messy roughs. Yeah, OK, it's a totally slapstick plot! But I'm having fun with it so far. Doing the blue-penciling now, then on to tight penciling...
    Name:  blood-brothers-chars.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  133.4 KB
    Name:  blood-brothers-rough1.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  124.4 KBName:  blood-brothers-rough2.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  147.2 KB
    Name:  blood-brothers-rough3.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  133.0 KBName:  blood-brothers-rough4.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  157.6 KB

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Gwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks a lot, everyone!

Farvus and Gwenevere: yeah, the ever paining moiré effects. :/
    Actually, I believe the moiré got especially worse for the simple reason that photobucket resized the images. I will upload again to my own server.

I have been experimenting quite a bit with how to achieve the best screentones in Photoshop in the past. What I do nowadays is color in the panels with greyshades using the lasso tool with clean fills or gradients (just like standard screentones). Then I copy the whole greyshade layer into a new document (with exact same size as the original) where I convert to bitmap with 'halftone screen' as option. You need to play with the settings here. It also always depends on what kind of resolution your comic has got. The value for the 'angle' should be something like 45° or 90° unless you want tilted screentones. Working at a resolution of 400 dpi, I set the 'frequency' value to 50 which worked ok. Set the shape to 'dot'.
    Then copy back this bitmap file into your actual comic page, delete the original greyshade layer and position. Then I do some erasing (for highlights etc.) just like you would do with real screentone scraping of the dots.

If you want to print the page, convert the whole page to a bitmap using '50% threshold' as option and you get a clean 1Bit image for printing. Screentones will look great on paper then, especially if you have a laser printer.

Gwenevere:
    I get a little amused over the fact that female comic artists always tend to do unconventional and somewhat hard-to follow page layouts... But I like the sketches, looking promising!

Xenos: that's a cool story, looking forward to seeing it finished!

--(-)|dE--

portfolio

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Hideyoshi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hideyoshi View Post

Gwenevere:
    I get a little amused over the fact that female comic artists always tend to do unconventional and somewhat hard-to follow page layouts...
    Eheh... *cough* that's because most of us read too much shoujo manga...

Yeah, the layouts tend to get kinda out of control. I'm hoping it'll get a bit clearer as I clean it up, still getting the hang of it all...

What the hey, can't be more confusing than CLAMP manga, anyway! I'll just throw a lot of feathers and flowers all over the page and we'll be all set!

And the toning method you describe sounds similar to one I've seen some other artists using lately - I haven't really tried much toning yet, but if I do, I'll probably try that method. Sounds like a good, simple method to me, no fiddling around with separate screens...

Though I have no idea how you'd avoid distortion/patterns when you resize it. Always a problem. Probably the ideal thing would be to resize it before you turn the gradients into screentones, and convert the tones of the big and small copies into screens separately, but that wouldn't be practical if you want to erase bits of the screen for highlights and things because you'd have to do it twice...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the composition of your panel is fine. Just unconventionnal. Most American comic books are that way anyway. The way you designed it is like you force the eyes to follow the path of the panels to go to the next one by overlapping the frame or a visual element on each panel. Plus, it create tension, or add dramatic which traditionnal square panel don't.

Last edited by JonZ_; January 26th, 2008 at 01:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my WIP.

P.O.W.! Challenge 1--Getting Even (Deadline extended)P.O.W.! Challenge 1--Getting Even (Deadline extended)

Don't look at the horrible grammar for the moment. I have it handled by someone at this moment.

Time is running short unfortunately for me, I'll do my best to finish that one, at least in B&W.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *sitting on my first panel*

JonZ, I love your cliché policemen lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenevere View Post
    I'll just throw a lot of feathers and flowers all over the page and we'll be all set!
    o_O Tell me that was ironic! Ugh, mass shoujo manga flood is burying the earth! pld:

And the toning method you describe sounds similar to one I've seen some other artists using lately - I haven't really tried much toning yet, but if I do, I'll probably try that method. Sounds like a good, simple method to me, no fiddling around with separate screens...

Though I have no idea how you'd avoid distortion/patterns when you resize it. Always a problem. Probably the ideal thing would be to resize it before you turn the gradients into screentones, and convert the tones of the big and small copies into screens separately, but that wouldn't be practical if you want to erase bits of the screen for highlights and things because you'd have to do it twice...
    Yeah, that seems like a way to get around it. You could also do the erasing on the flat shaded layer first and do the screentone convertion afterwards varying the frequency.
    I was only concerned with how the pages would look in print I guess. :/

Jon: looking good, love all the car action!
    Zeitwolf: yay!

--(-)|dE--

portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Here comes the laughing stock

First of all, i think everyone is doing a really cool job on their panels, cant wait to get a look at the final stuff the 29, is going really well. Gonna be lots of fun .

Well, ill post my preliminar stuff as well, but i warn you, dangerous levels of cheesiness ahead, be prepared. I am going to get giggles and get POWned!

I had 3 ideas for the subject (i share them if anyone cares) , i went with my last one, which is a very simple plot, i have been restricted on schedule so the final pages are still really unfinished, could only work on and off on small periods of time, another reason that i didnt choose one of the other 2 ideas, in fact all of these sketches were made in my uni, in printer paper that i carry around. Im going to work my ass off tomorrow and monday to try to deliver, is unlikely though , but im having lots of fun with it.There is a 4th page, but spilled cofee on it , is just all the warriors getting killed

My 2 main characters reference, the samurai/shaman goth girl who summons spirits with her sword, and the misogynistic generic berserk viking, who seems to be posing for playgirl in that picture. I choosed a not so complicated location, using as a reference the church/fort of "San Nicolas of Portomarin" (type on google images). I wanted a big gothic cathedral but that was being too ambitious with my timeframe :/.

Name:  vikingo.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  136.4 KB
    Name:  guerrera.JPG
Views: 458
Size:  96.6 KB
    Name:  pow1.JPG
Views: 461
Size:  118.9 KB
    Name:  pow2.JPG
Views: 454
Size:  159.7 KB
    Name:  pow3.JPG
Views: 459
Size:  151.1 KB

Last edited by Renegade89; January 26th, 2008 at 07:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hideyoshi View Post
    o_O Tell me that was ironic! Ugh, mass shoujo manga flood is burying the earth!
    Of course that was ironic! Most of that stuff annoys me pretty quickly, too... You'd know if I was doing cliche shoujo, the guys would all look like girls and would be smothered in masses of flowers...

JonZ: This looks like it's going to be fun! Yea, car chases! I love how the cars are up in the air half the time... And the donut-munching cops, gotta have some of those! I envy you your facility in drawing cars, it's one thing I've always been really bad at, I always end up drawing some ungodly lump and then have to go look out the window to remind myself what cars really look like...

Renegade89: Oh dear, talking of cliches... I think you've covered every barbarian cliche in the book, there. Eh, why not, if you push the cheesy campiness of it all to the max, could be fun... too bad about the 4th page, though, it's kind of left hanging without it (the fourth page is JUST "all the warriors getting killed"??) And every comic heroine needs a "boobies" t-shirt! *snerk*

Last edited by Gwenevere; January 27th, 2008 at 12:00 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damnit, I spent too much time on page 1, especially Panel 1 lol

Page 2 in progress...P.O.W.! Challenge 1--Getting Even (Deadline extended)

Last edited by JonZ_; January 29th, 2008 at 01:39 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Renegade89: Oh dear, talking of cliches... I think you've covered every barbarian cliche in the book, there. Eh, why not, if you push the cheesy campiness of it all to the max, could be fun... too bad about the 4th page, though, it's kind of left hanging without it (the fourth page is JUST "all the warriors getting killed"??) And every comic heroine needs a "boobies" t-shirt! *snerk*
    hahaha, lets call it my particular sense of humor . I let the 13 yr old conan fan in me write this one out. I even added the historically unnacurate horns and made him shirtless, though is chilling cold and snowing outside... i might add him pointy nipples in my final design .
    Hey, i though the boobies shirt was a cute touch

Really like were you are going with your paneling, looks quite dynamic,i dont think is hard to read just a bit out of the regular, which is good.
    lol feathers and flowers hehe and ill put my main character saying "i will never forgive you!"

Jonz: Looking great man, lots of action going on there, indeed you are doing a really good job on that car chase.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Awwww...shoot, you guys. I'm too slow. I'm never going to make it for tomorrow.

Eh. Here's Panel1 WIP. I'm trying for all old-school and noir, but this is way out of my line. Also, I'm the shit at following instructions...I put a WIP in here as a placeholder...?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,278 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    BLARGH! COMIC SANS!
    (most comics that use comic sans use it in all-caps, the one noteworthy thing about its use being that the capital "I" is usually replaced by a lowercase "L" to get rid of the serifs and make the typeface more streamlined and compact.)

stoat other than my issues of being a picky typography snob its looking great .

jonz_ your comic is coming along amazing as well, the work is really inspiring me to not suck next week.

Hideyoshi
    : love the use of halftone. it made me go out and read some tutorials on how i can make good screen patterns for future comics.

HURRY UP CHUMPS ONLY TWO DAYS LEFT

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think, I'm going to make it.
    first page halfway 'penciled' =_='

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I know, I know...I wanted to hand letter. Not to mention clean up some of the anatomy. But it's going to be Mama's little miracle if I finish at all.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.