P.O.W.! Challenge 1--Getting Even (Deadline extended)

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,582 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following

P.O.W.! Challenge 1
    Deadline: January 29, 2008, 11:59 pm anywhere in the world.

(Deadline extended to February 2)

Topic: Getting Even.

Interpret any way you wish. Any media. B&W or Color.
    You will present your solution as a minimum of three to a maximum of four pages which adhere to standard comic specs as below...

Standard Comic Book Size:

--Trim size: 6 5/8" x 10 1/4"
    --Live art area: 6" x 9"
    --Bleed size before trimming: 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" (1/8" in all directions)

This thread will be the place you ask questions on this challenge, trash talk, post WIPs and your final art. See the READ THIS FIRST thread for all specs.

Good luck.

P.O.W.! Challenge 2 will be posted before Tuesday Midnight, January 22, 2008.

Last edited by Ilaekae; January 28th, 2008 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Correction
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,278 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    well i guess i've set the bar.
    and set it pretty damn far low i have.

[update] huzzah the epic conclusion!

for fullscale poor-quality the 300dpi version:
    Page 1
    Page 2
    Page 3

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Grief; February 2nd, 2008 at 08:31 PM.

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Grief For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess I should post some advice for those of you who normally don't do this kind of thing...

With only 3-4 pages, you obviously aren't going to produce one of the great opuses (opae?) of the modern age. Don't waste time explaining all that nitty-gritty stuff like "Why we're here...who we are (detailed explanation on my mother's side...)...where we're going on any future pages..." that kind of thing. YOU DON'T have the space for that! We are dealing here with a short story arc that could make sense within a much more involved and complex larger story arc, but if it doesn't, we're not going to worry about it. Just have it make some minimal logical sense so we get a feel for a beginning, middle and end...WHICH could be part of a much larger piece.

Understand?

And I am stressing here that this is W I D E open as far as interpretation is concerned, even more so than the other Challenges posted so ably by our noble peers...If you can't get the mob excited here with your ideas and art, it's your fault, not the fault of limitations that you have to contend with. This is big time, this is not grade school, and you bastards have been thrown to the wolves. Make us proud...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. I'm currently reading Brom's The Plucker. The top fits that book excellently...
    I might try it. I've never made a comic before.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    I might try this, never ever created something like this before. I do have a stupid question; could you explain in more detail these?

--Trim size: 6 5/8" x 10 1/4" The part that gets cut in post-production.
    --Live art area: 6" x 9" Must be the area in which the artwork encompasses.
    --Bleed size before trimming: 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" (1/8" in all directions) The paper colour area that you see on a comic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi res versions available upon request.

Last edited by FlipMcgee; February 3rd, 2008 at 05:49 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    --Trim size: 6 5/8" x 10 1/4"
    --Live art area: 6" x 9"
    --Bleed size before trimming: 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" (1/8" in all directions)
    Just a teeny, tiny request... Could those measurements be translated into centimetres, for those of us accustomed to calculating sizes in decimals and multiples of 10? The numbers above are complete gibberish to me... Thanks.

- Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Um... another stupid question... I'm wondering if we could see the measurements in a diagram or something? It'd help me visualize things a lot better... thanks!

Really looking forward to this!

Arish in the Mirror - Self-Portrait page

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I get
    6 5/8" = 16.8275cm
    10 1/4" = 26.035cm
    6" = 15.24cm
    9" = 22.86cm
    6 7/8" = 17.4625cm
    10 1/2" = 26.67cm
    1/8" = 0.3175cm

What's wrong with calculating in twelves? That's how many toes we have isn't it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyatt Thrash View Post
    Just a teeny, tiny request... Could those measurements be translated into centimetres, for those of us accustomed to calculating sizes in decimals and multiples of 10? The numbers above are complete gibberish to me... Thanks.
    i had the same problem, but then i remembered you can calculate with google. just enter the numbers in and hit enter and you'll have the answer

1/8 = 0.125
    5/8 = 0.625
    7/8 = 0.875

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    I'm glad I wasn't alone with bad mathematics

Thanks for the calculations guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "I might try this, never ever created something like this before. I do have a stupid question; could you explain in more detail these?

--Trim size: 6 5/8" x 10 1/4" The part that gets cut in post-production.
    --Live art area: 6" x 9" Must be the area in which the artwork encompasses.
    --Bleed size before trimming: 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" (1/8" in all directions) The paper colour area that you see on a comic."

For people who are so gung-ho for making comics, you all know surprisingly little about how they're produced. That was an observation, for the record, not an insult.

Let's see if I can resolve this once and for all...

MOST IMPORTANT MEASUREMENT! TRIM SIZE. This is the actual size that your comic will be when the printer is all done with it and it's ready for sale or lining the bird cage. On artwork, this is usually indicated by crop marks at the corner, which serve the purpose they sound like they do--crop/cut/chop/chew here. If you screw up the trim size, you screw up everything. There is no salvation. There is no hope. You get to live in the outhouse for the rest of your miserable life.

LIVE AREA: This is an archaic term. It is NOT a critical thing to worry about all that much when you are doing a book or pamphlet of less than--say, 36 pages or so. It becomes a major thing to worry about with huge multi-page books that are cheaply produced, like paperbacks and "pulps" or large mangas. It is simply an indication of where you should keep everything that is IMPORTANT (like COPY that has to be read), if you don't want it cut off when things get sloppy at the printing end. On large page-count books, the amount of "bounce" or "drift" of your live area can be as much as 1/4", so obviously, if you have text closer than 1/4" to the edge, you could lose it.

You can create any live area that makes sense to you. For example, if you like really big margins, make your live area smaller in relation to the Trim Size. This DOES NOT mean you have to put all your art and stuff inside that area. You can put it anywhere you want, whether it makes sense or not. You ARE in charge, after all. It simply gives you a consistent "grid" area that gives the entire comic a bit of polish rather than having EVERYTHING just tossed willy-nilly everywhere.

BLEED INDICATION or BLEED SIZE: This exists because printing is a sloppy process. The press can bounce around a bit, the paper trimmer can be a slight bit off calibration, and the two gum-chewing assholes running both machines can be reading Playboy while your comic is being mutilated. They don't care. And i know at least one printer whose parents are sister and brother, so let's not even go down THAT road...

To allow for this, we have to have some "play" built into the art. Let's say your hero has his foot off the page at the right. You can't just end the art at the trim size, because the trim may drift a bit left or right. If the trim knife drifts to the right, you'll have a silly-looking little white sliver showing at the edge of the page where your art ended. To prevent this, we extend the art a bit in all directions where necessary to allow for this drifting. After the comic is done and printed, most of what you have showing in the BLEED AREA will be missing, because it got cut off.

Does that make things any clearer?

You can all thank Zeitwolf for just guaranteeing that Challenge 2 will be a minimum of 250 pages.

In the READ THIS FIRST thread, I just posted a URL for a FORMAT PAGE that you can download. This page also has the sizes in US, Metric, and Decimal, and can be downloaded as a tiff or jpeg in either 96ppi or 300ppi.

Anyone wanting it in their own language or in a prettier color can bite me.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wish publishers would agree on one page format worldwide... :/ But even German manga publishers are diverting...
    Thanks for making things clearer, at least for this Activity.

A propos language... it doesn't say anywhere that the panels should speak english, does it?

... =_=
    250 pages in one week, eh? Possible, if you're unemployed
    I'm a friend of whole-page panels anyway XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "There is no salvation. There is no hope. You get to live in the outhouse for the rest of your miserable life."

I call dibs on this line to use in my panels (which obviously will concern The Chronicles of Ilaekae)! (I'm not sure if these will be opuses or opae, but I will try to stay away from the opioids.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Somewhat off topic but having been trained in graphic design and having to learn to set pieces for printing manually (Pre-press / Mechanicals and color separations) then working at a printer for while this post was hysterical.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woot! I'm actually gonna hafta change how I've been doing comics for this one. Will be submitting something, anyway

Oh, and the mentoring project, too. Still hafta find my refs now that my LMS entry is in.

I'm drawing a blankin my sketchbook, that is

Ye-ha! I actually completed my site.Check it out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your age is showing, Darasen. I was a HAND typesetter (character by character), printer (offset), stripper, platemaker, mechanicals/production artist, and did Ruby/Amber overlays for color breaks in 10% screen increments for nearly 15 years. I...DO...NOT...MISS...THE...OLD...DAYS...!

Zeitwolf, it would probably be unfair to force someone to write a comic in something that's not their own language, so I wouldn't be against it. Could you at least attach a rough translation so that your efforts don't suffer in the competition stage, because most of the voters will be English-speaking to some degree?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to admit, this is pretty challenging so far. It's hard right now to think of something outside the box on this topic. I don't want to do the typical, "Oh, you hurt me in some way, so I'll hurt you in a similar way," type scenario.

Even though it's hard doesn't mean I'm not having fun doing it. I expected a challenge, and I got one. Just one question: Do you need to any type of coloring? I don't have a tablet at the moment, so I can only use pen.

"Wake up. Work hard. Stop being a loser." -Dave Rapoza

[ DeviantArt Gallery ] :: [ Inexorable Artistry ] :: [ CA Sketchbook ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The rules state that you can do it as black and white (line alone or with gray scales) or in color. Just to make sure everyone understands, if you decide to color, you can paint it like an illustration, or use flat areas of color only like a modern Sunday newspaper comic, or just use black (or another color) plus a second color. Anything that turns you on.

You can execute your art in...

Pen and ink
    Computer (as a bitmap)
    Colored inks, etc.
    Watercolor
    Computer (as a gray-scale drawing)
    Computer (as a CYMK or RGB color--just remember that you have to convert the final post version to RGB from CMYK or we won't be able to see it)
    Pastel, charcoal, colored pencils, crayons, fingers dipped in paint, Sumi, collage, frottage, pencil, oils (suuuuuure...), acrylics...whatever.

AS LONG AS IT QUALIFIES as finished art that most professionals would accept in comic form as finished art. If you think you can pull it off, you can do it with only typography (Good luck!).

On the topic/subject...

"Getting even" has many meanings. Revenge--which can range from childish to friendly to deadly serious to battle-of-the-sexes kind of thing, arranging things evenly, lining things up, and could probably be stretched (through slang if it exists) to mean something nautical(?) like "even-keeled." (Not sure about that last thought...) Try googling "Getting Even" to see what happens...

Remember, you have an open menu as far as characters are concerned. The don't have to be human...or even real. The same goes for time periods, environments and time/space coordinates...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Would it be acceptable to do a "strip" style comic so long as it fell within the same amount of work/size as a "print sized" one? IE 3 strips=1 print page?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great. thanks Ilaekae for the clarification on the topic.(sadly when i googling appear: The Balangiga Massacre: Getting Even...I learn somenthing new about revenge. anyway this is offtopic)

let's see if i can submit something

thanks to those who make this section posible.

Last edited by DIMAGYAN; January 16th, 2008 at 09:18 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Innnnteresting. I might try this one, if my work doesn't swamp me in the meantime.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mirana, are you referring to something about 6" x 3" three times on a page, or do you literally mean something that qualifies as a news strip, which if memory serves, is a much longer proportion? Is there a reason you want to do it in that proportion?

If it helps, we WILL be doing sequential strips as part of the challenges as we all get settled in. We may even alternate the formats if everyone likes the idea, but they're not really compatible with comic BOOK format.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dimagyan, I googled, too, out of curiosity and came up with the "as in equivalent salaries" sense.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome.
    Thanks for all the clarifications you been doing ilaekae, i had a couple similar doubts too.
    I think give it a try with the time i have .

I googled too, still reading the Balangiga massacre story, interesting, in other hand photobucket provides different results...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ilaekae: looking in the dictionary(great help for me) i read something in the line of equivalency or like find some nivel, equilibrium. also same value. and revenge as you said before.

this open topic system could be really interesting.

Mirana: if you still want to use the strip format, look for some page of tintin from herge. he divide the page in four horizontal strips and then every strip in frames. so you can make "strips" inside of the entire oficial page of this event as frames, i think. just an idea

31. The Following User Says Thank You to DIMAGYAN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DIMAGYAN View Post
    great. thanks Ilaekae for the clarification on the topic.(sadly when i googling appear: The Balangiga Massacre: Getting Even...I learn somenthing new about revenge. anyway this is offtopic)
    William Stout actually wrote and drew a comic adaptation of this event. First and last pages below.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to FlipMcgee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the information and samples FlipMcgee.i will search for more info on this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    In the READ THIS FIRST thread, I just posted a URL for a FORMAT PAGE that you can download. This page also has the sizes in US, Metric, and Decimal, and can be downloaded as a tiff or jpeg in either 96ppi or 300ppi.

Anyone wanting it in their own language or in a prettier color can bite me.
    You the man, Ilaekae! I'll still bite you, but just for the taste. Mmmmmmmmmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by DIMAGYAN View Post
    Mirana: if you still want to use the strip format, look for some page of tintin from herge. he divide the page in four horizontal strips and then every strip in frames. so you can make "strips" inside of the entire oficial page of this event as frames, i think. just an idea
    The original "Phantom" and "Tarzan" comics were made the same way, IIRC... Just a useless fact...

- Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.