What do I study?! Where!?! What does a Graphic Design degree offer?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What do I study?! Where!?! What does a Graphic Design degree offer?

I've just recently thought about pursuing art as a career. I enrolled in my local community college and am currently taking a few art classes, which I really enjoy. I kind of feel like I might go the way of concept art as a career. My question is then what do I study? Graphic design? Also I'm in the St. Louis area and would like to stay here. Is it possible to obtain what I'm looking for here in St. Louis? Thanks for the help!

Ryan

Last edited by Zebz; October 8th, 2003 at 10:22 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am not too familiar with the schools in your area, as far as what to study I think that totally depends on what you are in to. Its good to know all aspects because illustration does run into graphic design when you decide to take something to print and vice versa.

I was in your situation a year ago. I knew i wanted to do art, just didn't know in what field. I thought maybe graphic arts and luckily I got a job where i learned most of my graphic skills. But my passion still lied in illustration and concepting, creating characters and worlds was always what I wanted to do and loved doin.

So, see what interests you the most, illustration/traditional media or graphics. If you do graphics a school with a good graphics program like an art institute of some kind will teach you the basics and other things you will need to know to get by in the graphics world. If you want to be a concepter....life drawing, perspective, more life drawing, industrial design...those are some of the things to study. Its a road that takes a lot of patience and you have to set realistic goals for yourself....it is obtainable..just stick with your choice and go for it. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    stay away from graphic design!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    you can master IllustraTOR, Photoshop, Fontography and an eye for flat design by yourself.
    Computer Animation, Illustration, Industrial Design & Technology are more suggestable majors in my opinon. (for a concept artist) But it truley depends on what school it is. I have done some freelance for www.heavy.com and all of them are graphic designers that had to take their design to a different level to get their job. via~SOME FORM OF ANIMATION/aftereffects/flash/maya...etc.
    In NY you make roughly 2-300$perday as a graphic designer (your stuff has to be tight! www.andytitus.com ) but one can easily swing 4-700$per day if you model 3d.(especially maya right now).

Keep drawing you'll always get better~Learn something that can keep you in the industry, and pay you to get out of that tight spot when all your supplies dry out.

learn 3d so you understand who your really drawing for. I hate 3d. .. .. ... .. . . .. .. .. .. .... .. .. .. .. .. . ... .but its helped me sooooooooooo much to know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ok...

Thanks a lot for the comments, guys. I appreciate the help. Can anyone give me an overview of what you study in Graphic Design and what sort of jobs you obtain with that degree? I'm really still struggling with have a definate view of what road I want to take degree wise. And I don't want to be butt poor either. LoL I just want to do what I enjoy and be paid for it enough to pay my bills and have a little bit extra... if not a lot. LoL Thanks a lot. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME PERSPECTIVE AND DIRECTION! LOL The comments that have been given already have been helpful but I'm dying for more information. I've got to make a decision soon. Thanks, guys.

Ryan

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.