Sketchbook: update 8/23 - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: update 8/23

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, that last one is awesome! great! also one of the few where u dont use outline, i think its really good when u can make a good watercolor lifedrawing without a pencilled outline

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ajvenema For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies, you are getting very good.

Nice work.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_Grisham For This Useful Post:

Jamesy is offline Kevin Durant's Manstalker Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ajvenema- haha, look again, I reposted them as scans and now it is visible that I used a light pastel. I might try it with no lines next time, though.

Chris- Thanks for the comments!

Just a sketch dump for now. Stuff from just about everything-studies, imagination, and life. I'll post concepts later tonight.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first dude is my first kinda refined character. I know it kinda sucks and it isn't the most original thing out there, but I'm actually proud of it since it marks the beginning of something I'll do a lot more of. I know these will get better over time, I just had to put my foot in the water to get things going. The other two sketches are just more imaginative things, I may go further with them in another direction. The last is an oil painting (the psychodelic acid trip I was referring to in an earlier post). In all seriousness, I was actually trying to get the right colors (grey fan on white wall), but I over stated the warm and cool colors just a bit (well, A LOT). I learned a great deal from this painting, though, and I'm excited to take what I got out of this painting for future paintings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there some pretty good studies on hands! KEep them up! Some of your pencil drawings are screaming "ADD ME SHADOWS" but thats OK and usual for artist like you! The other thing I noticed that you're drawing the head too big or the body too small but it looks a little funny, try to imagine that the space from left to the right shoulder must be occupied by two heads horisontally positioned! Keep the studies not only on hands draw more muscle sketches and learn something about human anatomy!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to clanlord For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey James, wow heaps of nice anatomy studies Looking good, just try to do more from imagination and fix up the mistakes with reference afterward. That snake is awesome, should colour it

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Vyliss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    clanlord- Oh gosh, I should know better about the head size, thanks for the reminder. About those anatomy studies, I actually have multitudes of those and continue to study the human form in many aspects. Lately I haven't been posting them simply because I changed my methods slightly on how to study the muscles/skeleton, so now they're mostly scribble notes from books (and memory) instead of direct copies from the books.

Vyliss- Yeah, I think I will be doing more thought out imaginative stuff from here on out. A lot of what I was doing before were half-assed scribblez simply because my confidence from imagination is low, therefore it's hard sometimes to really be motivated to work from something completely from my head. I'm getting there, though.

Just a quick update to keep this thing rollin. Been real busy with school lately but it looks like another stretch where I can get more stuff done is here again. The first is just a pencil sketch for rendering practice, I'm still not the best at it. I've been looking at some other artist's hatchings around this site (mainly wes and everyone else with a similar technique), but I still feel like I'm missing something. Maybe I should stop using only a mechanical pencil, I dunno. The last two are from life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All of these are from life. I don't really know how to go about these as people tend to stay in place for less than 5 seconds at a time. Sometimes I'll just look at the subject for awhile then do the drawing without looking at it again, then other times I won't even look at the paper and do a blind drawing just looking at the subject. I look around at other sketchbooks and wonder how some people can get so much detail into a certain drawing. Weird. I think I'm just really slow. I forgot my other sketchbook with non-life drawings, so I'll post those next time, maybe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey James,

Nice updates! I like the architectural sketches. Nice rendering on the figure in post 97.

Keep at it!

Quinn

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Quinn Simoes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My favorite's the Alder st building. Nice use of ink wash for the shadows! Keep trying to 'hold' people in your mind long enough to draw them though, even if they won't hold still.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Maridius For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quinn- I'm trying to work out some kinks with the rendering, but I think it's getting better. Thanks for the support!

Maridius- I see what you're saying about "holding" the subject in mind. I've been implementing that thought whenever I go out and draw stuff from life. Thanks for the advice!

Here are the first few sketches for the DEEP thingy. I actually colored the guppy a little bit in ps, so I'll repost that later tonight when I get home. Then there's random stuff from my sketchbook.

Last edited by Jamesy; May 27th, 2008 at 08:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work from life and reference is coming along really nicely- the architecture stuff especially. When you're working from imagination, have some drawings done from reference, or reference not too far away, check back with it and see where you could use some correction or details that give that sense of realism. Try to remember those things and eventually you won't need the reference around as much or at all and you'll be making stronger invented designs all along. Keep it up.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to aedman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aedman- Yeah, I tend to look at absolutely nothing when coming up with ideas on my own, even when I struggle to remember the specifics of a particular subject in which I could reference back to quickly. I'll keep that in mind next time. Thanks for the advice!

Just dumping some life drawings and another DEEP page.

Last edited by Jamesy; May 30th, 2008 at 05:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My digital camera suckz. These are from the last 2 figure drawing sessions. I tried to use more side of the pencil and I think I like the results. I was much more confident (I think my overall confidence is getting better and better since I do a lot from life nowadays) and I think it shows in the last couple weeks. Unfortunately there's only one more session before summer starts and I'll have to wait and see if the Seattle Art Institute has free sessions starting in the fall. These are 1, 5, 10, 15, and maybe there's a 20 minute pose. I forget.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your penciling is coming along pretty good, congrats , love the crowd sketches and the first post on #97, i see you want to join this moths chow . Good luck with that , cheers!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Giorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Flamable! I'm not sure if I'll go all the way with the DEEP thing since I'll be moving back home soon. I haven't gotten a lot of inspiration for it lately, too. It was fun while I was doing it, though. We'll see...

Just dropping off more life drawings and other stuff. I know these are about as exciting as watching some kid shoot free throws at a random basketball hoop, but it's really helping out a lot. I also tried to paint onions, but I think they turned out pretty bad. I'd really like some input there if anybody's willing.

thesadpencil is offline Unfortunate Incident of Trial and Error Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey nice updates here, i really like all these life drawings and the last color studies came out very nice, and that knight helmet is way slick. keep up the good work bro. heres some well earned stars.

To live is to create, to create is to live. Without art and music, I do not know how I would get by in my day to day life.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115997

26. The Following User Says Thank You to thesadpencil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments on my rendering on my sketchbook page! You've got a really good grip on rendering so I spent a few minutes admiring the knight's helmet and your nudes. Nice boobz too! I was wondering if this last onion (the red onion) has two light sources. The shadows confused me a little bit and it wasn't as crisply painted as the first onion. That one had a very tactile peel, if you know what I mean. I got hungry

I'd have another try with the preggers women too--the stomach doesn't have convincing weight and volume and yeah, I have problems when I draw hands from photos too.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Maridius For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sadpencil- I noticed I had 5 starz for like 7 minutes. That was great *sighs*. Oh well, just give me a year or six and I'll get back there! Thanks for the starz, though, for some odd reason they made my day that much better.

Maridius- Ha, I have a good grip on rendering? I guess I'm getting there, but I don't think it's really good yet. I just go ultra-slow and build everything up. The red onion did have two light sources, a lamp light and a ceiling light. I think onions hate me because I hate them. I just didn't paint them very well. Better luck next time. I can see what you're saying about the pregnant lady on the left. It might of helped if I could have wrapped those hands around the belly, but I dunno.

So not to much this time, but somethin. One's for Deep and the others from life. I have one more week to use the scanner, so I don't know how much I'll post this summer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I may get a little post-happy until Friday. The first and third are from life and the middle just some random doodle from my head.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man =D how u doing!? nice pencils sir! cant say much.. just anatomy issues in general, but seems u know it ( u written down some notes etc.. ^^ i do that myself ), btw try to take more time in some off your works... just relax take your time and work, some of your sketches looks to scratchy... but overall u got a kick ass book keep up the good work sir

Grab your pencil, grab your dream!
    My Sketchbook - Blog - Fineart Blog

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Call0ps For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work, I love what you wright on the pages.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Ash888 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hon, you can render my boobs any day

Cheers and happy drawing! Thanks for thinking of me lol

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Maridius For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CallOps- Hopefully this summer I'll spend more time individual pieces. I'm really undisciplined when it comes to spending a lot of time on one piece, so hopefully I'll learn the patience to stick with something. That was a pretty sad attempt at anatomy in the last sketch. I think I was listening to some loud music at the time and I never really cared to erase and fix. bleh

Ash888- I like what I wright(jk), too! Actually I just write down a lot of stuff to remind myself of what I should be doing. Or I'll write down my process so I can remember it later. And then I'll write things that are totally irrelevant to anything in particular. I've always liked writing, and I think I'm doing more of it when I sketch now.

Maridius- That's like the worst rendered boob eva.

A couple from life and then a total manlove fest reference from James Jean.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool sketchbook Jamesy- I really enjoyed the studies of architecture vehicles and environments.

Diggin' the Ditch?

39. The Following User Says Thank You to ditchman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your pen and marker stuff is definitely my favorite bunch. Great stuff, keep it up.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Eytan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments Ditchman and Quick Sketch! I really should use those markerz again...

Just stopping by to say I won't have a scanner nor much internet until October. For everyone from the sketch group, I'll still comment on your sketchbooks time to time when I get the chance. For everyone who's commented, I'll be sure to drop by your sb's as well. I'll still be drawing and painting like crazy, so hopefully when I return I'll be a lot better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're inspiring me to get off my duff and draw already. I've been a slacker artist. These ink drawings are great and I can see some improvement in the quicker studies you've drawn of people 'on the street'. Have you tackled drawing people walking and so on? I know you were kind of frustrated that it's difficult to capture a moving subject versus a sitting or standing one. Try again! Maybe start with someone who moves like a sloth lol.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Maridius For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jamesy - The work you've put into improving is very impressive. The improvement from the beginning of this sketchbook til now is huge.

I hear your frustration with your school's art program. I think there are a lot of schools out there that really miss the boat when it comes to providing a real fundamental grounding for artists.

If I had it to do all over again I don't even know if I would go to a traditional school after High School. If you really want to be an artist there are so many resources out there if you only seek them out.

Books, galleries, other artists, websites, on-line classes, sketch groups.

You are obviously doing a lot to improve your skills on your own. Your sketchbook is very inspirational.

Please stop by my new Anatomy Sketchbook and critique the hell out of it.

"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."- Mario Andretti

My Blog (Cartoony stuff)

My Illustration Website

46. The Following User Says Thank You to crazy3dman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a while. Sorry for not visiting more. I see you are still posting and active. That's good I wish I had your drive. I love that digital onion. It looks very realistic. I can't wait to see your new work when you get back online in October. See you later!

!darkchild!

Feel free to checkout my work:
    darkchild's sketchbook

Don't forget to visit the Critique Section!!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

48. The Following User Says Thank You to darkchild For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1