Sketchbook: Arch's Sketch Storage
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Arch's Sketch Storage

EDIT 9/23/09: I realize this sketchbook looked dead on and off for awhile, but now I intend to keep up with it more. I am no longer a high school student like my first post says. I am a sophomore at the Art Institute of Boston and am on my way to getting a B.F.A. in Animation. I know my art has improved a LOT sine I graduated high school but I still need to improve. Critique and advice is appreciated!

9-24: (cleared out of date thumbnails from this post. yay!)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SArch; September 24th, 2009 at 10:30 PM. Reason: updating thumbnail
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As you, i love to do sketchy drawings, for me, more lines = better. But i learned that only a few people think this way, most people prefer fewer lines, more precise ones. Cleaner drawings, they look more 'professional' this way, and by using few lines, you can practice your firmness and begin to 'think more' before drawing, its a good exercise.

You got some nice studies there. Just pay some attention to proportions, the 8 head rule can really help you.
    Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great, sketches mate!
    ps: don't use the soft brush in an digital painting program, it washes out your placement of value.

Greets,Tom

Nickles is offline Hi. This is my custom user title. Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My art teacher once said never to use white colored pencil/conte crayon/charcoal over black unless you're going to do it on tinted paper or everywhere.. I noticed you did, or I think you did, lol, in a lot of your black and white drawings. The pigment kinda seems like it just sits on top, and doesn't actually become a part of the drawing. Try using the white of the paper to create highlights instead. Or a kneaded eraser will work with pencil and charcoal, I'm not really sure about conte crayon, I haven't used those much.

If you find that it's not coming up enough, you could always try drawing slower and making sure you know exactly where your highlights are going to be, that way you won't have to add them in later.

That's the only two cents I have, I'm not very good at critiquing since I don't really know what I'm doing myself, haha.

I'm a senior in high school too, btw. Just out of curiosity, where are you going to college?

My Sketchbook

I like ice cream

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

9/20/2009 (aka, omg, I really updated this thing?)

Soooo, this thread is so old I literally had to search for my own old sketchbook. Haha. But here's my update. Yay. I've been really busy--got accepted at The Art Institute of Boston in their animation program and am in my second year. Loving every minute.

I've been trying to improve my digital painting skills, but to be honest I feel like I am running myself into a wall. One minute everything is too choppy looking and the next it's too smudgy looking. It's like I can't get a happy medium yet. Any pointers would be awesome.

1. Dragon Slayer. Photoshop.

This piece isn't finished and I don't know when it will be. I put it up on my DA page because I was sick of looking at it. XD If there are pointers especially for this piece, I could use them though.

2. The Lonely Fisherman. Photoshop.

3. Eileen portrait 1. Photoshop.

I did this over the summer but I am leaving it here for comparison to my current Eileen study...

4. Eileen portrait 2. Photoshop

This is my current study.

Also, I have a DA link in my signature. Yup.

That's all for now. ^____^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

9/23/09

I'm hoping to try and keep this thing more regular from now on, especially since I want, nay, NEED to improve my cg skills.

I did a speed painting of my character Eileen today. I think I might be onto a method that might work better for me with how I did her skin all in flat tones, but I dunno, it's a hard adjustment because I either A) shade with hatching on paper or B) I have a tendency to like the blended look more.

Also, I decided to attach a drawing I did in Anatomy and Figure Drawing today that I thought came out good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

9/24/09

1. Rough sketches I did for this week's CHOW. I decided to go ahead and use Akecheta's design for the final, which is in progress. Hopefully schoolwork doesn't get in the way of me finishing it!

2. Pen drawing I did in my sketchbook. I must admit I am kind of bummed because I had tried drawing this directly on the comp with a wacom tablet and this pen drawing came out so much better than that. @_@

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

9/25/09

A self portrait speed paint I did in about an hour from observation. I think I want to try doing one of these a week, partially because I want to get more realism down in that much time and partially because I have never been very good at self portraits.

Also, the WIP version of Akecheta for the CHOW. Yay. I think I'm starting to get into more of a groove as to how I work on the comp. It's surprisingly different from how I work on paper (flat shapes/blending on comp vs. lots of hatching/lines on paper with pen--it's not that I don't paint on paper, it's that I don't do it often enough/don't have the room or means to in the dorm).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

9/28/2009

Finished Akecheta for the CHOW. Yay! And now off to finish my schoolwork before I start doing more artwork for myself. :X

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

10/3/09

Made more progress on a piece I thought I'd ditched for good. Yay for procrastinating from real schoolwork!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.