patience issues
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: patience issues

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

patience issues

Hello everyone. I have a problem with my patience with sticking to a piece of work for an extended period of time. So I end up with a lot of sketches, but I can't bring myself to draw over and bring a piece to a more finished form. So sometimes I look at someone else's work and I think that I could do something like that if only I would work on a piece longer. I think I'm in the mindset where I have to keep improving my fundamentals before I can create any real artworks. Have any of you had this problem? And how did you overcome this.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes and i overcame it by not being a wimp and jumping in head first!
    best way to learn is from your mistakes so stop holding
    back and bang some artwork out!

TB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    put some ambient stuff on and get lost in it....if you can't get lost in your work than your really not that thrilled with your work to begin with....change it up...

Vhan Juju is offline Just another developing teenage artist. Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea, music. Rabid had a nice way of putting it "getting lost"

Thats why I love to work at night, I don't have to worry about interuptions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just refine the occasional work. Practising the basics is important but you need to practise finishing things as well. Don't worry about it, not all works will end up finished, if you finish one in ten ideas then that's fine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have the same problem often and what I'm finding is that, like Rabid said, if you can't get into it it's useless.

Also as Barts said there's a major factor of hard work and determination. I have found myself starting into a big work and realizing how difficult it is and wanting to just get up and do something else, procrastinate or abandon it. this is a natural human urge, your brain trying to decide whether or not this is a worthwhile venture. but you stick it out and after a few minutes it starts coming together, even just one little part, and that part looks so good that you think 'gee how could even consider walking away from this?'

I think sometimes that the things I spend the most time on are the ones I had no intention of 'finishing' in the first place. I'll get a really cute little thumbnail composition but when I start sketching the big work all the life goes out. something that starts as a doodle in my sketchbook ends up as something I want to show people. so spontaniety, finding creativity throughout the process, is very important.

It's also essential to really think about what you want be a major thing that you work on for days/weeks/months. I used to just grab the first moderately appealing idea that popped into my head and decide that would be my Giant Epic Masterpiece. but you need something that will keep you interested for a long time, something you can come back to everyday and find new inspiration in. you have to be merciless, kill your babies, weed out the unworthy, otherwise you'll never find that deep work that defines your art on levels you hadn't even considered.

good luck, and courage

sketchbook: http://www.flickr.com/photos/maizani
    "Remember, Bob,
    No fear,
    No envy,
    No meanness."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Maizani For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.