Announcements and Comments...

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts

Announcements and Comments...

The first Challenge will be posted before Midnight, Tuesday 15th.

This thread is being started to give us a place for announcements, notices and comments. Feel free to totally pollute it...

Last edited by Ilaekae; August 25th, 2008 at 12:25 AM.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Sounds absolutely great and a good excuse to finally start doing something like storyboards and sequential panels and stuff.

If you need any help or whatnot from the IDW side of things let me know

Thanks
    likewise.. from ... EOW.. and kitty..you know where to find me

roxie

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Awesome. Definitely finding time for this one.

Thanks
    I have been waiting for this for a LONG time. I'll be sure to participate in every one.

"Wake up. Work hard. Stop being a loser." -Dave Rapoza

[ DeviantArt Gallery ] :: [ Inexorable Artistry ] :: [ CA Sketchbook ]

Thanks

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    another section of insane creativity will start =D

Grab your pencil, grab your dream!
    My Sketchbook - Blog - Fineart Blog

Thanks
    This is really great Ilaekae. Congratulations

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    This is a clarification note...

I changed the final dpi from 72 to 96 in the posting specs in the "Read this first" thread. I did this on the assumption that most of you have non-Mac machines/monitors which usually display at 96 dpi for actual size.

On the assumption that someday we may want to actually print these pages as a collection (not very likely at this early point, but why rule it out?), I would recommend working at a dpi that would allow proper reproduction later--for example, if you work same size, do your art at 300dpi at least. If you're working up in size (say at 150%, which is pretty close to the norm for most people in comics) and then reduce to size, you could get away with something in the 200-225 dpi range. I normally work at 150% to 200% at 300dpi automatically just so I don't make a bonehead mistake and realize it only after I'm half finished.

Save these files at the higher dpi as "original art" and make a jpg copy (different name so no overwrites) at 96dpi to the final size for submission to the challenge.

For those few of you who work in pure black/white (bitmap--not grayscale), the higher the dpi for FINISHED ART, the better--at least 600dpi minimum, and a lot higher if your machine can handle it (1200-1600dpi). This prevents ragged art because you don't have that nice anti-alias thing making you look good... When making the jpg for posting, just go to gray scale and you'll be fine.

Last edited by Ilaekae; January 15th, 2008 at 01:14 AM. Reason: corrections
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Interesting that Attachment Manager is allowed. May increase participation. Must WIPS and finals appear in the same post?

Thanks
    "Must WIPS and finals appear in the same post?"

No. Just in the same thread for that challenge.

Thanks
    After reading the "read first" post may I suggest if a template of a page with "official" dimensions already delineated be provided (here or in the readfirst) as a .tif or .psd file. So, kinda like the bristol board Marvel provides its artists.

Just an idea.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,277 Times in 625 Posts
    10x15" original
    scan at ungodly high resolution
    share at 90dpi*, 6.66x10"

got it. time to do some pre-battle shopping tomorrow to make sure my checklist of supplies are up for the task.

*also, maybe i'm just ill-informed but i was always taught the microsoft dpi standard was 96dpi. maybe someone would be sharp enough to clarify this before we get rolling.

Last edited by Grief; January 15th, 2008 at 02:35 AM.

Thanks
    yadda yadda yadda...

Just tryna get some shit done an' all I get is grief...

...correcting a mistake for me. Thank you much, Grief. Mac is 72, MICROSOFT is 96, not 90. You're gonna love this, but I wasn't sure, so I googled it before I posted, and I had "90" confirmed by a site I checked at random--which WAS WRONG!!! Remember--ALWAYS trust the 'net. Would they lie to you?

Thanks again, Grief. I'll make the correction above and other places.

I was going to prep a board like you mentioned, Flip, but figured I'd wait to see what size everyone ended up working at. I know some guys who work at 200% from force of habit, and because it's easier math...

I'll get something together by Wednesday to post as a .pdf.

Thanks

Very exciting...

Who will claim the first P.O.W.!!!!!!!

The Day-glo Pterodactyls
    Dierat ~ Leo Ki ~ Volchiha ~ Zweit ~ wilkerson

CharlieHarper.net

Thanks
    Ilaekae, just post it at the size it would be printed. Then every body can resize it easily to whatever size they want.

Thanks
    Its 16.1 already! Plz, would somebody post the topic for us. I want to begin making komiX!!1!

Thanks
    Hmm..I got two weeks off, so this might be good

Thanks
    It's the fifteenth!!!

Thanks
    Bite me, xenos...

Actually, I'll post earlier in the evening next time so you guys in the early time zones don't have to wait. Sorry about that.

Thanks
    I have a suggestion for the next challenge

What if instead of a general theme or a fully written script, Ilaekae comes up with the opening dialogue of the first panel and we have to build a comic off that. For example, we get the line:

"I don't understand, it should be here".
    That could be people digging through a tomb, people exploring space for a mystical object, people on a pirate ship looking for treasure, anything

* "Don't worry we're perfectly safe" "--What was that noise?"
    or
    * "On 3, get ready to move, 1, 2 -- BLLLAARRRHHGGGG"

I think it could be fun

"You’re right you DO suck, now do something about it"

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Boolean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Excellent idea. Let's try it for the next Challenge...

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I don't know if this is the appropriate place to post this...

What are the chances that we can do a more traditional comic book process for an event. Maybe have a couple page script (a loose one), let everyone do some pencils one week. Then the next week let everyone do some inks, either traditionally or digitally. And on the next week let everyone add colors. Perhaps even have a poll for the best pencils, then everyone inks or colors that page, just to see the differences that people bring to the story and artwork.

Well, this is traditional by the Big Two american companies. LOL. I'm not sure what process is used elsewhere. Oh, and I guess I need to actually do a POW before I get to suggesty, huh?

DOODLING is like Crack!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Ifman1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well it's actually interesting, though I feel some dread at the prospect of printing a sheet of pencils out on my cheap printer to try to ink and color. I kind of like bristol board but I doubt if my printer does.

Still, it could give people a chance to assess their skills in each of the individual areas.

Thanks
    Well... tracing <ahem>... I mean inking isn't necessarily as important as it used to be. If you don't think your printer can handle it you can just skip to the coloring stage. I lot of artists are doing this now. I think an awesome example is Liquid! coloring right over Joe Madureira's artwork in the Ultimates VOL 3. I think that's also how most of the Darksiders art is getting done.
    Check out some of the examples of what I'm talking about here: http://www.joemadfan.com/gallery/p17_sectionid/22 Sorry, but the art is in some weird pop-up thing and I can't link it directly.

Just a thought. And there's always digitally inking.

Oops, disregard that whole pop up thing....

pencils:

and then:

Yeah. I think that works.

And... no. Epic fail. But the links are there. Stupid goblins. Oh yeah... it was the goblins. Couldn't possibly have been my fault.

Last edited by Ifman1; September 12th, 2008 at 12:52 PM. Reason: found a way to get the image urls... w00t

DOODLING is like Crack!

Thanks
    I'm sure something could be worked out. This is an extremely user friendly challenge section. Ilaekae has already started a thread for sequentials that don't fit the current challenge, or were done late. He also started a thread for undone challenge WIPS that nevertheless had a bunch of work invested. He started a thread for just the writing without the art. He even provided digital templates. If it wasn't obvious that people often struggle in here, I would suggest calling this place SPOW (Silver Platter of the Week).

If we ask nice he would likely start something like "the Official Sequential Paintover Thread" or something. It's of value for me because my skills are uneven. I can write ink and color and letter but my penciling is for shit.

Thanks
    The staged idea is an interesting one...it would make an excellent tutorial if we could get enough people to go through the entire process. (We can take everybody's entry--touched up for presentation--and make it a really useful guide for people who don't know the procedures...)

X time for roughs
    X time for pencils (if done)
    X time for inking (hand or digital)
    X time for color (Hand or digital)

I could get together a rough scenario that has enough leeway for a lot of personal interpretation, and we could keep it to something small, like two to four pages, to keep boredom at bay and allow it to move faster.

Any thoughts?

I'm also developing a cover challenge, an illustration-style book challenge where a series of full-page illustrations/graphics are used to break up a standard bok text format--like the old illustrated mags and books, a political cartoon sequence (say five days editorial comment), and a simple strip cartoon just to give those who don't feel comfortable with the "book" format a chance to get involved.

Last edited by Ilaekae; September 13th, 2008 at 11:25 PM.

Thanks
    They all sound like fun, and I think they are all pretty relevant too. Watchmen, for example, had those sections at the end of the issues simulating illustrated book text even though it was fictional material clearly part of the overall sequential package.

Strip cartoons and political cartooning are both awesome, and hot stuff for self published webcomics. There always seems to be room on der internetz for that kind of stuff.

Thanks
    That's silly how tracing... dang, did it again, I meant inking of course, gets a small x while all the other stages got capitol X's. Tracers get no respect. Well, except Bernie Wrightson. His inking was magnificent. Oh, and Mike Mignola. Oh, and... nevermind. There are a few good ones out there.

DOODLING is like Crack!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 7