MICA Admissions - Seeking guidance!!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

MICA Admissions - Seeking guidance!!

Hi!

I visited MICA during the Winter of 2006 and liked the school very much. I am about to apply for Fall 2008 as a transfer student with A.A., most likely leaning towards Illustration (with Painting as a secondary interest).

I really want to give this my best shot for acceptance, and if any current MICA students or hopefuls may have advice for portfolio preparation or the application process I would be most thankful.

I tend to fret over how strong my portfolio is, I think because the majority of the work is graphite and charcoal, few color works in oil paint and trying to add in some watercolor. The content includes still life, self-portrait, figure drawing, and at least one drawing that was done of a college hallway. I also have a few computer-made 2D design works that I'm not sure are worth including?

Although MICA's portfolio guidelines suggest 15-35 pieces, a professor advised to stick to about 20 pieces of my strongest work.

Again, any words of advice, portfolio or otherwise would be most appreciated! Thanks!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Of all the schools I've talked to, MICA is the most liberal about what you put in your portfolio. Include whatever you think is your best work; you don't need to feel obligated to include, say, life drawings if that's not what your best at. Also, they are very unconcerned about how many pieces you include; if you have 35, or even more than that, pieces of equally high quality, go ahead and include them all. Simultaneously, as long as you meet the minimum, don't include sub-par work to pad out the number of pieces.

Also, don't feel obligated to avoid fantasy work. The pieces I got the strongest positive critiques on during a portfolio review were all fantasy or sci-fi.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    The pieces I got the strongest positive critiques on during a portfolio review were all fantasy or sci-fi.
    That's awesome. Fantasy work and character illustrations (such as for games) have always appealed to me, it's nice to know they support that.

I'm going to contact their admissions office when they open tomorrow, see if they would allow me to bring up my portfolio for a 'pre-admissions review.'

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.