Sketchbook: Sedig's, weekly - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Sedig's, weekly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A little bit different today. Unless I hear complaints, I think I'm going to start posting some of the stuff I do in my studio class.

These are some quick studies of the interior volume of the Shawnee National Forest visitor's center, drawn from the floorplan. We were supposed to try to get a rough idea of what the place looks like without actually going there. Eventually we will be changing the space to make it a little more interesting.

Are you guys okay with this kind of stuff, or is it a little dull? I'll post depending on feedback.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Noper on the contrary! Those are extremely valuable studies and a treat to look at! although the first one seems a little off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2day4u

Faust- thanks. I'm glad to hear that others find these interesting. Your are right about the first one. I lost track of my horizontals--something I need to focus on.

Further inquiry:
    Would you guys be bored with fully drafted perspectives or floorplans? I know it's not conventional fare, but I might put some up if there isn't any complaining

contour sketches for today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Sed, I like where your going with this sketchbook. you seem to be approaching the right topics first and its good to see you using tone in your early works, keep it up dude ;-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Small one.

RandAlThor- Thanks for the visit. I'm definitely trying to get a handle on the basics.

There might be more than this, but it'll depend on whether or not I finish my perspective drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah keep working it! Draw everything and everyone! Damn I need to work harder.

About your inquiries: It is a bit irritating if you keep asking those questions all the time. In the end, this is YOUR journey and you should do what it takes. Right now, you are on the right track as far as I see it, so stop asking so much

Toxdel is offline Yes, yes i do own a bar of soap Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blind contour stuff is good as always, Good perspective on those interior renderings, maybe a little strong though? I dunno' maybe thats what you were going for. I'd like to see some more rendering in a couple of them though, perhaps the figurine drawing.

-later

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quicky. I'll visit sketchbooks tomorrow.

Faust- Thanks, and sorry. Your comment led me to review my posts, and I'm kind of obnoxious. I worry too much, and I guess I'm taking it out on you guys. It is my journey, and I need to treat it as such.

Toxdel- Thanks for the visit. With those perspectives I was trying to quickly identify and represent an interior space. They did come off as a little strong, but they served their purpose. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll have one that is more refined and less overbearing.

I must have been reading Toxdel's mind, cuz earlier today I knocked out two drawings--one is a loose blind-ish contour, and the other is a more fully rendered one, both of the mannequin.

Toxdel is offline Yes, yes i do own a bar of soap Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The perspective thing is not anything too bad, in someways it gives it more of a dynamic feel, do what you will with it though. Niiiice rendering on that last piece, great use of tone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm afraid it's a small update today, too.

Toxdel- Thanks. I think that the challenge is finding the balance between dynamic and strong. Definitely something for me to work on. I'm hoping that this next one isn't too far off the mark.

The promised perspective drawing. If anyone is interested, I can put up the floorplan and elevations. Took me a long time to draft this one out, but it will serve its purpose: eventually I will be using this for rendering practice with prismacolor markers. I hope to have some of those posted by Thursday. By the way- I had to insert a fireplace into the existing space, and the cube-ish things are furniture locations. I'm not sure what I'm doing for furniture yet, so I left the space as is.

Last edited by Sedig; March 4th, 2008 at 12:04 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I missed a day, and I may miss for quite some time. I have midterms now, and spring break starts on saturday. I don't know if the computer at home can handle scanning and updating, so I'm not sure if I can do it. I'll definitely try, but if not, this sketchbook is going to be taking a week-ish long break. I'll definitely be checking in on everybody.

Today's doodles. On the left, zombie boy. On the right, a blind contour that somehow turned into a character? thing. Not happy with it, cuz I wasn't paying attention to anything. Literally a doodle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good job on the perspective drawing man... it's been practically 7 years since I actually did a full on perspective drawing but I'm getting back into it and it definitely feels funny. So keep at it, even if you're not assigned it. Rendering of the mannequin ain't too shabby either. Keep posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oiii cuuuuuubes How about you do some arrangements with them? Remember to love your cubes and they will show you their magical cube-universe!

Good to see you doodling as well. Of course you're not satisfied! Keep at them, and eventually they will please you, I'm sure (I am still tryin, lol)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So the computer at home can handle updates. I can't promise dailies, but I will post when I draw things.

JSpayde- Thanks thanks. Definitely going to be working on the perspectives this week.

Faust- I heart cubes. So much easier to draw in perspective than a couch. I suppose I should start doodling more often. Time to get that imagination going.

Update on that perspective drawing. shadow study, turned it into a night shot. The next step is to crop the image, and turn those cubes into furniture.
    Anybody know an easy way to render fire? Definitely something that I'll have to look up.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today's.

Another doodle on the left (which was apperently inspired by a praying mantis) and a lamp on the right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fire for me is kind of easy, just get messy with it. Just remember there is a bright, a medium, and then a low tone, and keep the bright in the middle of the flame. Also, if there is a fire, chances are it'll be a light source, so keep that in mind.

thesadpencil is offline Unfortunate Incident of Trial and Error Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    coming along nicely. i'd suggest put more emphasis on weighted line and contrast in the images. also continue on w/ the life studies and maybe try some more anatomy studies. keep it up.

To live is to create, to create is to live. Without art and music, I do not know how I would get by in my day to day life.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115997

Rockhart is offline Struggling College Student Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the horn/lamp. however I think you need to do more color drawings... MORE! If I remember correctly you need to work on that....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is that lamp referenced? Nice insect, but it is leaning quite a lot on the right. Be more careful where your pictures are leaning, happens to all of us. With me, my drawings tend to be sucked right, too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got some good stuff in here.

There are some studies where you look to be thinking very structurally, but you could push yourself further. Everything you're learning in architecture should be applied to what you're doing artistically. Concepts like hierarchy, organization, line weight, and chiaroscuro are all shared between art and architecture, though, applied differently is some cases.

Pay close attention to the readings of some of your drawings. Many of your illustrations could benefit from having a cleaner, and better defined profile line/condition. When the profile condition of a certain object is not clearly defined, the reading of that area becomes muddled and ambiguous. You need to explore different strategies for controlling profile. You can do it either by using a bold line weight around the object, or by contrasting the object against a dark background (or use more consistent shading to define the profile). Ultimately, the goal is to separate the object from the 2-dimensional plane of the paper and designate that object as independent and 3-dimensional (if that is the objective).

I hope that helps. Just keep working, and think about architecture and its relationship to how you generate artistic content.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well. I'm back, after quite a long break. Shame on me.

JSpayde- Thanks for the tip. Messy. I'll give it a shot.

Thesadpencil- Thanks for the visit. Weighted line is definitely something that I need to keep in mind. Hopefully I bring my line quality up to standards.

Rockhart- I like the horn/lamp too. It's a really cool piece of design. I was hoping that you had forgotten about those color drawings. I suppose I need to bust out the prismacolors. Rats.

Faust- Yeah, the lamp is referenced. I wish I could claim it, cuz it's sweet. You are perfectly correct about the leaning. I wasn't even thinking about it when I was drawing, and that, I suppose, was the problem.

Odin 052- Thanks for stopping by. You're right about pushing myself further. I sometimes have a little too much fun (if that's possible), and I lose focus. That's a good tip about the edge condition. I would love to be able to control it with line weight, which is something that I am trying to work on. Hopefully I will make some progress.

Larger update today than usual. I haven't been slacking completely over my spring break, just not updating.

dress forms, blind contours
    Name:  3-14-08 01.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  90.7 KB

concert stuff
    Name:  3-14-08 02.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  109.0 KB

sombody's leg, heads
    Name:  3-14-08 03.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  92.8 KB

semi-blind contour, semi-rendered drawing
    Name:  3-14-08 04.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  66.7 KB

50 bonus points to anyone who figures this one out.
    Name:  3-14-08 05.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  98.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Planet of the apes? Oh and you not posting for so long is a major crime!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My bad. Well, I'm back at school, so I should be back to dailies. I'll visit sketchbooks soon.

Faust-Nope, not planet of the apes. It's actually a plastic gorilla head glued onto a buzz lightyear. Go figure.

Stuff from today. I was trying to be a bit more accurate with my lines. I drew until the person moved drastically. I suppose I should start with the face in the future. Side note: the first guy's head and face were drawn at different angles. Lesson learned.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, when drawing people, always remember that you are the only person who knows what they look like. It is always a good and rewarding exercise to make them look like they are in real life but remember that you don't always have the time and when they move, memorize, visualize, recapitulate! Keep it simple and be FAST! An example of what I mean. http://www.minart.net/temp/dr_56.jpg This is min's scetches btw

Last edited by ~Faust~; March 17th, 2008 at 04:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your sketch book very much. Your style is loose and accurate and i realy like that kind of drawings.It would be interesting for me to see some more finished like pieces like the gorila , cuz most of your stuff is mainly outlines.
    And keep them comming

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice drawings! Keep up the good work!

My sketchbook

"We must do our very best with the time that is given to us!"
    "Tempus fugit, time flies when you've got so much to do in such little time!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mega quick. Always nice to see some new faces.

Faust- Thanks a lot for this. I hadn't seen these sketches, and they gave me some ideas.

Ohomoho- Thanks. I do need to do more finished pieces. They end up being a measure of progress, and are almost always time well spent. More complete renders are definitely something I need to get back into. Question for you though, just to stir things up: what makes outlines less "finished" than anything else.

Nyssa- Thanks, will do.

Nothing special today.

Last edited by Sedig; March 19th, 2008 at 11:01 AM. Reason: replies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So today I tried to take Faust's advice about simple and fast. I ended up pulling a "that fat kid" and drawing up a storm. I managed to capture likeness more often than usual. This is something to investigate....

thesadpencil is offline Unfortunate Incident of Trial and Error Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    coming along nicely keep on doing those studies. keep it up!

To live is to create, to create is to live. Without art and music, I do not know how I would get by in my day to day life.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115997

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep, you are getting better! Now try to be more economic with your shading!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3