Sketchbook: Sedig's, weekly - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Sedig's, weekly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    about the hatching and/or crosshatching, it becomes distracting if it doesn't serve as a mean to provide more definition to the piece. As long as it is clear which areas are ment to be darker, with their respective shapes, it works just as well as chiaroscuro with pencil. Just the same, a flat shade of gray used for a whole piece, or a part of the piece supposed to have a variety of grays will distract from recognizing it. I have only a few works on ink with hacthing (like the einstein on my sb), and i think that is one of the thoughest issues you deal with, for hatching is by no means as versatile and forgiving as pencil.

_lalovergel_
    I consider it a challenge before the whole human race, and I ain't gonna lose.
    Welcome!(Sketchbook)
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115243
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sedig is keeping busy.

i agree with fatty in his earlier post.

address the issues you're having drawing heads. get some good reference photos of skulls, or better yet, a plastic model... and draw it until you've got it pretty much memorized. then try to draw it from memory as accurately as possible. This will make the placement of your features less wonky... getting a likeness will be easier... just do it. getting a believable head everytime... it's not an impossible thing... with practice you'll do it and it won't be scary anymore. heads won't look deformed. draw people's pictures on the DL too... get a baseball cap or a knitted cap so they won't see you looking.

challenges... man... late march / early april i was thinking? i chatted a little with fatty about it... i'm a little unsure of how it would work, i think nofingers might be down for it too. anyway, haven't forgotten about it... just have rice in the pipes right now and until that's out ... hard for me to really commit to anything else or brainstorming. def. it needs to go down before you guys get too far into school.

thanks for supporting in my sketchbook, friend. keep up the constant work... get more expressionistic but at times focus all your energy on being an anal retentive ass and getting everything as accurate as possible. both are important skills. the more technical you can get, the easier the technical facility will come to you when you're drawing crazy dudes in their tighty whiteys or whatever.

cheers man and thanks again.

g

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I believe some good and old skull drawings can do you good. Try to not get too crazy, drawing all the cracks and stuff like that (since its just an exercise) but try to focus on the general proportion of it. Eye sockets, back of the skull and so on.

Keep it up man!

Retronym is offline Disscepolo para sperientia Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There seems to be a tendency (unless its a trick of the scanner or your intention) to flatten
    or elongate the shape of the head.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoops. Missed a day. I guess that that'll happen every now and then. Thanks for the visits.

Rockhart- They don't work for me either. That's definitely not something I'm going to try again any time soon.

Lalovergel- Thank's for the input. It looks like flat hatching is a bad for now. We'll see if I can work on following the form a liitle more.

Guggemmaneuver- I'd love to get a plastic skull. Unfortunately, I haven't ever seen them at my local Wal-Mart. Can you believe it? On that note, do you know where I can get one? I'd rather not order over the internet, but if I must, I must. Concerning the challenge: that sounds perfect, and the more the merrier. Thanks for your support.

Carbono- I agree. I think that some skull studies are coming sometime soon.

Retronym- In the last post, it was intentional, sort of. I put down an initial semi-blind contour drawing (I only looked to make sure that it was recognizable as a head) and then I rendered it. Bad idea, apparently.

Lame offering today, sorry. I drew some skulls, but not the right kind, and not as a study. It's just what was on my mind. Also, face from life. More stuff tomorrow if all goes well.

Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great skull! I agree that the heads from the previous post don't work, though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the skull, it looks like a children skull, pretty cool actually!

Great update man, the face looks cool too, it's not perfect but its really an nice improvement!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry everybody, it's a small update again today. I'll visit your sketchbooks tomorrow. I think.

Faust- Thanks. They were a bad idea.

Carbono- I think it is a kid's skull. Also, it's missing the mandible. Thanks.

Drawing during an honor's band concert:

Blind contours, regular contour, and some ornament studies.

Toxdel is offline Yes, yes i do own a bar of soap Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketchbook man, I see a lot of improvement, especially in your linework. Keep up the awsomeness!

ps- isn't pen just a blast to sketch with?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, i like the baby skull. I think i see some improvement with your lines too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If I continue skipping days, I'm gonna have to change the title.

Toxdel- Thanks. I do think that pen is a blast. I like the way it feels on paper, and I like the fact that I can't erase. It's almost relaxing, because I don't worry about mistakes at all. If they happen, so what. There isn't anything I can do about it.

Loolarge- Line improvement is definitely a goal. It think that I spend too much time worrying about rendering anymore.

Today's and yesterday's:

I've sort of become addicted to blind contour and regular contour. I love just going with the flow. I don't know if I can stop now, and I know I won't be able to if I go too far into it. My question is this: should I continue this? Is it improving my linework? Is it improving my sight? I don't want to get stuck doing things a certain way, but I think I might draw like this for a while. I really enjoy it.

Thanks to me, this kid has one goofy long neck. Unfinished, and not going to be finished
    Name:  2-11-08 01.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  74.2 KB

These next two pen scrawls were me working on an English essay. I was frustrated, so I drew.
    Name:  2-11-08 02.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  120.9 KB
    Name:  2-11-08 03.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  147.1 KB

Blind contour on the left, silly doodles on the right
    Name:  2-11-08 04.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  123.2 KB

Fun rendering of contour drawing on left, unrendered semi-blind contour on the right
    Name:  2-11-08 05.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  147.5 KB

Relaxing contour drawing. I like this one.
    Name:  2-11-08 06.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  84.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No replies, so:

I'm really stuck on this contour/blind contour tangent. I hope it's a good thing. These are all from today, all contour or blind contour. The mannequin is from my mannequin, but the others are from Barry Moser drawings or paintings. Recently discovered him. Great stuff, brilliant wood engravings, brilliant watercolors. Check him out.

I'm hoping for an opinion on the countour stuff. Should I keep this up?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quicky update today.

No one has told nme otherwise, so I'm continuing with the contour thing.

blind contour warmup
    Name:  2-13-08 01.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  67.1 KB

rendered contour after barry moser
    Name:  2-13-08 02.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  74.7 KB

contours from class
    Name:  2-13-08 03.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  83.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love these, and if you love them and are improving (which is visible already) keep doing them. I'm envious of how much you seem to like doing them, it shows.

Do them till you're tired, then tackle another way to study.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see much improvement
    and Thank you so much for all of your feedback and such in my sketchbook.
    I am not a fan of the contour thing but hey, if it floats your boat...
    I think your Shading is your strong point and your weak point is the actual size of the head?

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=115768
    MY SKETCHBOOK OF DEATH!

The water always finds a way through the rocks -ancient Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Rhineville View Post
    I got groaned at for pointing out flawed logic and giving critique. I thought that only happened at deviantart.

my myspace page {I am only 15}
    http://www.myspace.com/i_tried_to_live

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are the blind contour drawings completely blindly drawn? Because when i do that, everthing turns out very skewed but you seem to maintain the overall proportions most of the times. I think these exercises are good but you should not do them exclusively.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Real quick update today

Retronym- thanks, I really do love to do these. I think I'm gonna keep it up for a while.

Green-fire- just curious: what about the contour stuff don't you like? Anything in particular, or just not your cup of tea? Also- heads are a constant battle for me. I just gotta keep on truckin.

Loolarge- Pretty much. Sometimes I'll think I'm done, look at the paper, and decide I need to do more. The mannequin example in yesterday's post is an example of that. Regardless, there is no looking at the paper during the main process. I do a lot of these, and I'm gradually improving on the general proportions. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm ashamed to post this. I've never been so ashamed of something ever. I was experimenting with colors for Rockhart, and then I decided to stop before I started to cry. The real thing looks even worse. Oh well. I can't be happy with everything I do, and everybody has off days. Color is going to be an adventure for me.
    Name:  2-14-08 01.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  105.2 KB

Rockhart is offline Struggling College Student Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol you started to cry? i actually think this is a very intresting drawing. However it seems to me you do need a lot more practice in color theory. so practice, practice, practice and keep a box of tissues nearby just in case

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, no need to cry here, it's a nice start, keep pushing!

On a side-note, I tried those blind-contours and I really can't understand how yours became to clear and readable. Great job!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I just dont understand how contours help you?
    Does it show you where the light should be or something?
    Yours look good though!
    Loomis Head studies for sure!

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=115768
    MY SKETCHBOOK OF DEATH!

The water always finds a way through the rocks -ancient Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Rhineville View Post
    I got groaned at for pointing out flawed logic and giving critique. I thought that only happened at deviantart.

my myspace page {I am only 15}
    http://www.myspace.com/i_tried_to_live

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work
    loving the contours man
    contours are a great help because first of all they really relax your line, they make you focus on what you see and what you know, they usually come out great, i actually start all life drawings as semi blind contours
    yours are real nice man
    keep up the good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm pretty sure that this is going to be the last update until monday, matbe as late as tuesday. I have a big projct to finish up this weekend.

Rockhart- I need more than practic in color theory. I need to read about it, or get a lecture, or just do color drawings from life until my eyes bleed. All three, even. Thanks.

Faust- I think i'm gonna continue working in color, it's just gonna take me some time. Like I told Loolarge, I've done A LOT of blind contours. Also, some are way more successful than others.

Green-fire- Contours are a GREAT exercise. So much learning takes place. They are an exercise of pure hand-eye coordination. It becomes pure observation. You have to look closely and be careful. I definitely recommend them. Lots of them. Give on a shot. Don't look at the paper while drawing and just go with the flow. The idea is to notice as as much detail as possible, and to really conscious of the contours. Follow them with your eye. Ask about it at work. It's better than Aflac.

Dadushin- Thanks a lot for the visit. I really enjoy contour and blind contour drawing. I don't feel as much pressure, and it's just a lot of fun.

today's stuff:

drawings from Starbucks
    Name:  2-15-08 01 .jpg
Views: 206
Size:  103.0 KB

these next three are from an art show I attended this evening. This guy was drawing while having a conversation with people as an experiment/installation, so I sat down and participated.

two very fast blind contours of him
    Name:  2-15-08 02.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  106.8 KB

longer scratching. he didn't hold still
    Name:  2-15-08 03.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  145.3 KB

This is part what he prodcued during our twenty minute-ish conversation. I think that the bottom half is quite interesting. There is some subtle linework there that the scanner didn't pick up that looks very nice in person.
    Name:  2-15-08 04.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  111.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The blind contours looks very nice, i should try some of these someday! Good to see that you're doing your studies man!

keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What kind of sketchbook are you using?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It took me a little longer than I expected, but I'm back. Architecture kinda borrowed my life for a while.

Carbono- I love 'em. Maybe you should try some today....

Retronym- I use a pocket-size moleskine. The paper is a bit thin, but they fit in my pocket very well--they are thin enough that they aren't uncomfortable.

Well, I don't really have anything from the time I was gone, though maybe I'll put up some pictures of my project if anyone is interested. The blind contours are from sometime last week, but the notebook paper stuff is from today. I definitely try to avoid notebook paper, but I left my sketchbook back in the dorms. Also, these are a completely different direction- a little more concept/design oriented. I have more of these, but I won't put them up if nobody likes 'em. Do you want to see more?

Also- working on manual shadow casting today-- we are getting to that in class soon, and I wanted to get a head start. Does anyone know anything about it? I'd really appreciate help with this one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick one today. Repeat of question: do you guys want to see more of the concept-y stuff? Also: help with shadow casting?

Done yesterday evening, actually. The hatched background was a BAD idea. I may actually erase it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll get you a pair of bear boots, just give me some time to slay myself a bear.

I like your drawings, especially the fact you're not afraid to make some crazy marks. I'm too afraid of that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I believe your shadow-casting is pretty good, you're on the right track using perspective lines to help it.

And your portraits are always cool to see!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    >Yep, it shure isn't a mistake to build your own little ray-tracing program inside your head just make sure you have fun while studying that! btw, those contours still look ace!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo.

JSpayde- Thanks. I can't wait for those boots. Concerning crazy marks: why are you afraid? What the worst that could happen? A mistake? No such thing. Just learning opportunities.

Carbono- Thanks. It still needs a lot of work, and I have a lot of questions about it. I really enjoy doing those guerilla portraits.

Faust- Thanks. Eventually, I hope to be capable of accurately constructing shadows in perfect perspective. It's a life goal, like learning to shave with a straight razor.

More portraits today. I also left my notebook in the dorm, somehow, so I had to take notes in the sketchbook. Hopefully it isn't too distracting.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3