Art: Jim and the Pepper Puffs

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Jim and the Pepper Puffs

UPDATE Jan 28

Added Mock up of Book Cover and detail shots.

Edit: Added photos of some prototype plushes of "Winky".
    He's got a magnet in his hand and a magnet in his pepper so he can hold it. These toys aren't for children, they're for a local shop here in Ohio, who wants to sell some of my plush toys.

Okay so I have decided to write a children's book, although I've always tried to avoid it before because of the "women only ever do children's stories" stigma. I've stopped caring and started writing...

Here's a little snippet from the story so far.

A long time ago, when humans and animals were friends, there was a little old farm. On this farm lived a kindly old man named Jim. Jim had a big garden on his farm where he grew all sorts of fruits and vegetables...
    ...but the most important fruit that Jim grew on his farm was the spicy pepper.
    ...Why is the spicy pepper the most important fruit? Because it attracts Jim's favorite animal to his farm! His special helpers, the Pepper Puffs!
    The Pepper Puffs are very small, the size of a bunny rabbit, they have great big ears just like a rabbit too! Instead of hopping around, which they sometimes do, they use their little bat wings to flit around from plant to plant, gathering up all the tasty fruits and vegetables in Jim's garden.

The old man is based off, both, of my husband's grandfather that recently passed away and is named after him, and my grandfather. The book will be dedicated to them as well as 2 other people.

The little pixel icons I whipped up for fun... The blue one is Winky, He's the leader of the pepper puffs, the "yellow"/cream one is Boston *Cream Pies* he's a bit chunky, he's the resident taste tester he helps out Salsa the Chef *the red one* in the kitchen. The orange one is Tower, he's the tallest of the bunch and the resident know it all, he gives bad advice though he means well, The purple one is Sprinkle and the Green one is Wispy, they're the smallest of all the pepper puffs, not because of age, but they just developed that way, Wispy has very small wings so he has to flap them twice as much to keep up with the other pepper puffs, and Sprinkle is the resident girly girl, she's not so much prissy but more like a mother figure to the other puffs, she loves to be mothering everyone even if it can be rather ~smothering~ to the other Puffs.

The House, in the vector image, is a puffball mushroom, the door is a piece of pumpkin shell, the doorknob is a button, and the window is half of someone's old glasses. All of the Pepper Puffs live in a house like this.

Attached Images Attached Images                      
    Last edited by Fuish; January 28th, 2008 at 03:35 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------
    My Deviantart
    My Myspace
    My Blogspot
    My Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 438 Posts
    The style, colour aplette and the striped gradients remind me of Worms Armageddon!

Oh, and it's ceeeeee-uuute.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpian View Post
    The style, colour aplette and the striped gradients remind me of Worms Armageddon!

Oh, and it's ceeeeee-uuute.
    I only used 1 gradient in the whole piece, which is the sky, I drew each thing out by hand. ^^ *though you are probably just using the term gradient to refer to the way I did everything... so I'll probably feel stupid for posting this later...

What's Worms Armageddon? Hook me up w/ a link?
    And I'm glad you think it's "ceeeeee-uuute"

My Deviantart
    My Myspace
    My Blogspot
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Added Plush Photos.

My Deviantart
    My Myspace
    My Blogspot
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    I think the colors of the moon and the house are too similar. The crazy rendering is distracting to me, the only thing my eye really can rest on... is on the fruitbasket. It's not adding depth.

Colorwise, there's a lot of yellow going, but nothing that unifies the piece. You have style vs lightning problems here, and you kinda need to make a choice.

Also, as an environment, i'm wishing you added more than just the tiled path, adding some bushes around the house tells more about where they are. It now seems a bit too deserted/isolated. I'm also not sure what that thing on the left of the door is.

I like how you explain how they foraged the elements of their home, but i'm just wishing it showed that a bit better. Conceptwise it sounds really cute.

Thanks
    Updated with new art and pixel art.

My Deviantart
    My Myspace
    My Blogspot
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Painting I just finished, has some pepper puffs in it so I thought I'd put it in here. I'm trying to work on a few pieces that could go in a gallery/expand my range of styles. Hope you like it. Crits are welcome as always.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    My Deviantart
    My Myspace
    My Blogspot
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Any tips or critiques?

My Deviantart
    My Myspace
    My Blogspot
    My Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.