Personal Statement: Urgent Question
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Personal Statement: Urgent Question

I need some advice and there's no one else to ask.

I'm applying for an Illustration course and right now I'm writing my personal statement, where I'm supposed to explain my reasons for wanting to go to college, my plans for the future, etc.
    The thing is my dreams actually revolve around concept art and working in the videogames industry.
    I'm very enthusiastic about my future but I'm afraid admission tutors won't take me seriously if I write about dungeons, dragons, character concepts and level design.

Should I be honest or make up something they are more likely to approve?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Be honest.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yep, be honest, as long as you get your passion/drive for art across it should be fine maybe be aware that a question such as:

why are you studying illustration and not (?)games design/concept art/_create course here_?

may potentially be asked in interview.

to which my advice would be to steer well clear of bemoaning the lack of concept art courses that you would have taken if they existed, and instead enthuse about the fact that the fundemental skills of communication through drawing (etc) that the course offers are those that you wish to develop and that this is what led you to their doorstep.

You could also say that you feel the computer games design courses focus too much upon 3d computer skills and that you believe that it is important to have a well developed understanding of fundamental/traditional art skills before taking your art onto a digital level? (obviously only if that is the case -I haven't looked at games design courses personally as its not my thing so the previous statement is based on guess woek )

anyway good luck with your application!

m^-^m

get better or die trying....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Atastrophea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Be honest, it cant be stressed enough. I always center the focus of my statements around an event that changed my life or made me realize my goals. Then I think of a subtle metaphor to attach it to. I've been writing for years so it comes easy for me. If you really need help and are freaking out about it check out this site statementofpurpose.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.