EOW#76 The Arena POLL

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: EOW#76 The Arena Poll Vote plz

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • jomore

0 0%
  • ink-ronin

0 0%
  • gunderson

2 1.96%
  • newmanhyde

10 9.80%
  • warry

0 0%
  • MasonL

0 0%
  • putridusCor

2 1.96%
  • shera 3000

0 0%
  • tharle

0 0%
  • revenebo

4 3.92%
  • Tsjuni

1 0.98%
  • peetsbeets

1 0.98%
  • gaius

82 80.39%
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

EOW#76 The Arena POLL

EOW#76 The Arena

Extra special new round #77!!!!
    Pirate Cove 2week challenge! Maps and MOODS
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=115695

Winner of Eow round #75 Across the Abyss was Meme Congratulationd with a good 100 people voting!

For Eow 76, The Arena after much controversy and deliberation
    13 pieces going to poll
    25 started.

I have only 3 rules. Please read the direction on the next one folks. Im changinging how I d o this And I need your help to make the transition. It will be better . we will have lil icons. THREE RULES IN BIG PRINT ON PAGE 1
    1 mark as final (3 pieces which would have gone to poll otherwise)
    2 no attachments (outside host) (2 pieces which would have gone to poll otherwise)
    3. keep wips and final in one post. (three pieces but Ill take em because Im benevolent)

Migsta- wip too bad its anice piece

Hex- wip

Jomore-
    EOW#76 The Arena POLL

ink-ronin

Extra-Terrestrial cerebral Interface
    EOW#76 The Arena POLL

nope your’re good there had to be an arena
    lots of things happen in arenas

Dominus--- I had hopes for this.. but you r didn’t mark it “Final” so I can only assume its unfinished. Too bad

JFWalls – WIP damn it

Datastrings- unfinished

Revenebo- unfinished

Gunderson
    EOW#76 The Arena POLL

Nilheim –unfinished

Tharle—wip

Newmanhyde
    EOW#76 The Arena POLL

warry
    EOW#76 The Arena POLL

MasonL
    EOW#76 The Arena POLL

tharrle wip

jmorris--- attached image..please please please follow directions if you need help ask for it…..this piece is definitely a contender. But I cant take it to poll…

peetsbeets-wip

PutridusCor
    EOW#76 The Arena POLL

/ev – I would have taken it to poll it’s a beautiful piece, but you did not mark it final--- there are cats all over the coloseum in rome

am7 attached image. Not marked final I would have taken it ..rough as it is it’s a nice piece

snoochy-wip

Shera-3000
    EOW#76 The Arena POLL

Tharle
    EOW#76 The Arena POLL

revenebo

EOW#76 The Arena POLL

Orion 9282—not marked final… again a nice piece that would have done well in the polls

Arbu – unfinished too bad it had potential, remined me of Dinotopia

Tsjuni
    EOW#76 The Arena POLL

peetsbeets
    EOW#76 The Arena POLL

you posted 2 “finals”

Gaius

EOW#76 The Arena POLL

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work all, these contests are fun, even when they get a little too serious

Jomore - cool idea, and I appreciate your attention to the deatailing, although I think pushing the value of the blurred background could enhance some of the drama.

ink-ronin - definately got the extra terrestrial thing going, although the traditional linear perspective seems to be hindering what you were trying to communicate, i like youe experimentation with different effects and techniques, although they dont all "work" here necessarily, you can definately keep refining them.

Gunderson - nice atmosphere and color use, my only crit would be to put the foreground figures and structure on the left on the same plane(line them up with the horizon instead of having them above it) as the viewer so that it would feel as if we are standing in the same building as they are, and pull us into the scene more.

Newmanhyde - i like your technique and your details, feels very much like an architectural presentation image you would see in the newspaper or magazine, really sells the believability of the image. Nice choice of contest too.

warry - nice use of texture, now just use value to create depth and help establish a clear fore, middle, and background.

PutridusCor - very cleaver, I appreciate the thought you put into all the little details, although I wonder if cropping off the city background on the left would have made the arena more of the focus.

Shera-3000 - interseting and unique concept, just need to push the value to further describe the forms and add more texture to the mountain/trees/rocks to seperate them from the background.

Tharle - ambitious, but I'm glad you finished something for the final. I would have liked to see how far you could have taken it.

revenebo - i like your concept a lot , and you captured a nice mood, my one small crit would be is that I wonder what it would look like if you had subtley worked in another color with that green, maybe a blue in the shadow areas, or an orange in the highlights...

Tsjuni - you have an intersting tecnique, nice atmosphereic perspective on the arena, but im having difficulty placing all of the elements on seperate planes.

peetsbeets - really dig the atmosphere or yours, if i had to pick a fault it would be that i would like to see a more "elaborate" spectator area, you definately have the skills and creativity.

Gaius - this one made me smile the minute i looked at it and i couldn't not vote for it, hats off to you

Not in the poll:

Migsta - such a cool atmosphere, you should have just marked it as final

Dominus - nice color and texture, very good 'mood' piece

JFWalls - nice point of view and architectural details so far

jmorris - beautiful, very fine work

/ev - sensational

am7 - like whats going on so far

Orion9282 - love the design of the stadium and your technique, but are the ships supposed to race through it? the ones in the foreground look like they are closer to the camera and are gonna fly right over the stadium

Arbu - nice sense of scale, would liked to have seen how it turned out

-Mason

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MasonL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My Entry

Hmm... disappointed that mine didn't make it to the polls.

As marked in the directions: "mark Final as Finished, final done or somesuch". As marked in the title of my posted artwork, "My Entry" was not enough?

Live and learn I suppose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosrocks View Post
    JFWalls – WIP damn it
    I had said in the original thread that I wasn't able to finish mine. Next time I guess I'll put it in the original post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pld: oops! I'll have to do the next one!

- My Artwork! -
    www.miguellleras.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's pretty obvious that /ev's was final without him explicitly saying so in the exact words of: "final" ...
    i vote /ev's, it is awesome!

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry dont have time to write about everyone, sad to see the strict rules prevent some realy good images not to go to poll!!

Newmanhyde - nice image, but it looses beliveability on the lack of shadow of all your people, and they are exactly the same person but nice architecture!

PutridusCor Funny and cool concept, but try not to put words such as "The Arena" in your image. You totaly didnt need that, your image reads fine without it

revenebo - Like your image alot, cool texture and niec atmosphere work

Tsjuni - Nice painterly style, but its very hard to read whats going on in the center there, what is it?

Gaius: Lovely image, you got my vote

Gundersendesign
    My Sketchbook page [B]1 2
    Mentoring my Padawans
    Conceptart.org Gallery

- :: Bring Me That Horizon :: -
    Live the life you love, love the life you live

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I vote for Gaius because the impressive work he had. To bad /ev's it isn't in this poll.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    as I said the rules are simple. Im sorry /ev I really am. but to be fair. I have to extend the rules to every one. I mena there are several that "looked" finished.
    if I start ignoring the rules fo rthe good pieces , I have to ignore them for everyione. because then it becomes a value judgement on my part. I try to let the polls do the evaluation. I don't let the quality of the pieces , one way or the other change whether they go to poll or not. Im not saying that I wont in the future. Especially if I have to deal withthe ZVolume that CHOW has. but for now... you jumpt through the hoops you go to poll. as an image I think Dominus's was just about my favorite. actually . I still haven't voted. I often dont. Becasue the whole field of ideas is gratification enough for me. I don't want to have to say .."This one is Best"

Thankyou all for participating. I will be more lenient withthe rules as we change over to a new polling method.
    GO PIRATES!

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sad to see that some of the entries didn't get included, but I understand that rules are rules, that's life.

Jomore, your picture reminds me of iRobot for some reason..but great concept nonetheless.

ink-ronin, I think the fact that you put the interface pretty much in the center makes the composition a bit boring. I generally find if you stick focus points at 1/3 and 2/3 of the canvas width / heights, you can get a more interesting composition.

Gunderson, I have to agree with what MasonL said about the framing. But you got my vote because those colors are just fantastic.

Newmanhyde, very cool, I think you would benefit from a slightly wider canvas too, so I can see more of that city

warry, if you draw a z-axis up from the center of your arena, you will notice that the sun is way too low. Based on your arena perspective, you wouldn't be able to see the horizon. Also I like how you textured the sky..but what about the ground?

MasonL, this is the composition thing I was talking about above - it works, although if I have to pick on it I would say, make the canvas taller, so you can achieve a greater sense of space and height for the coliseum.

PutridusCor, yours is one of my favorites. I think if you worked on your perspective a little bit, the image would improve a lot (especially that motorcycle, seems a bit flat).

Shera-3000, excellent improvement. However, in addition to what MasonL said, I find that the hard lines of the arena and the soft lines of the statues / env clash. More contrast would be good too

Tharle, the composition is a bit weak here. As I explained above, I think if you stuck both the mechs at about the 1/3 and 2/3 sections of the canvas, we would be able to see more of the first mech and also what is going on.

revenebo, pure awesome.

Tsjuni, this looks unfinished, as I think this could best entry if it were.

Gaius, everything has been said already.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to peetsbeets For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote went to Gaius, great atmosphere... wondered if you had read any Scott Lynch? There is a book called The Lies of Locke Lamora that decribes a scene really similar to this one... would be a great illustration for that scene! Nice one.

Always strive for perfection. You will never achieve it, but will learn so much more in the striving.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Thanks for your kind comments all.

cowboy surfer Indeed I had just finished reading " The Lies of Locke La mora" when Chaos posted this EOW topic. I am chuffed that you spotted it. Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MasonL, Gundersen, peetbeets, thank you very much, I didn't expect this appreciation... (MasonL, yuo're right about colours, too monochromatic...)

I voted for Gaius but I would like to compliment with Newmanhyde too...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my vote goes to gaius.
    his image is interesting, well-conceived and has a nice mood.
    good job =D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gaius has my vote
    its very well done, and also nice concept

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gaius your back in EoW with vengeance! its great to see your work again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for putridusCor. This one said arena the most I think.

Tharle, nice standoff perspective, just not enough work on the actual environment.
    revenebo, that's just creepy. Great atmosphere.
    Gaius, best rendering in the house. As always, perfect execution of a terrific moody environment.
    peetsbeets, I find this scenario more agreeable in terms of realism. I enjoyed Jaws The Revenge, but them sharks like to stay in the water mostly.

Interesting round, great work from everyone.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.