Sketchbook: Ito's Sketch Thread number 2 (Updated Sep 21st 09, on my B day) - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ito's Sketch Thread number 2 (Updated Sep 21st 09, on my B day)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more concept sketches for my Dream Quest project.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Imagination is not a total internal power but rather it is a reflection and multi-faceted projection of our experiences and knowledge. We take in information from the world around us and intuitively re-order it into something new. Something is not created from nothing but simply transformed from what was before.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more concept sketches for my dream quest project.

Imagination is not a total internal power but rather it is a reflection and multi-faceted projection of our experiences and knowledge. We take in information from the world around us and intuitively re-order it into something new. Something is not created from nothing but simply transformed from what was before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You haven't been posting for ages, why is that? I came to take a peak because I loved your signature quote. Your latest creature concepts are fantastic. I also notice they are more correct in terms of structure and anatomy than your first works, although all your pieces show dedication and imagination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonor View Post
    You haven't been posting for ages, why is that? I came to take a peak because I loved your signature quote. Your latest creature concepts are fantastic. I also notice they are more correct in terms of structure and anatomy than your first works, although all your pieces show dedication and imagination.

Ya sorry about that, I have been really busy this summer just a lot of little stuff kept getting in the way. I haven't done much in the sense of comps except for a wedding painting I was doing for a friend. I have been doing more sketches in my sketch books and will post them a little later on today once I get some house chores done. I am back working on a new comp though and will post the sketch along with that wedding painting.

Thanks I have noticed that my skills in anatomy are getting better as well but they can always use improvement.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ito Saith Webb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From my life sketching book done in white and black pen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another page from my life sketching book done in white and black pen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From my sudden idea and life sketching book done in white and black pen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From my sudden idea and life pocket sketch book done in white and black pen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From my sudden idea and life pocket sketch book done in white and black pen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Concept idea sketch of an Australian demon called Namarrgon which was a kind of Lighting demon that had offspring that ended up to be grasshoppers. It was also said to inhabit waterholes during droughts.

Last edited by Ito Saith Webb; August 10th, 2009 at 07:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I like your creatures Ito. What is a white pen? Those white highlights sure do sweeten the image. All the best.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is a HUGE! post, but it's a good one , like the picture of that family, nicely done, your studies kick ass too, I really should take a page from your SB, literally, nice work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jigje: Thanks glad you like my creature desgins, the white pens I use are those white gel pens that you can get at any stationary store. I also use white opaque paint markers that you can get at Michaels craft store.

The man with no name: Thanks I have been trying to get more studies done and I need to work on them some more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

cool

Yep I definitely like your pen stuff and I wish I had some of the skills you do with digital art awesome. Thanks again for post on my thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stile View Post
    Yep I definitely like your pen stuff and I wish I had some of the skills you do with digital art awesome. Thanks again for post on my thread.
    Thanks about the pen stuff, I was really scared when I started to actually start sketching like that. It is hard throwing off the old hang ups of making want to have everything look perfect. The digital skills are very close to traditional skills except it is cleaner and you don't get your media all over your body, unless of course your printer explodes for some darn reason.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi friend, was seeing his studies and liked much of his studies of characters! Congratulations and keep working on top of your dash!

hugs

"God is my inspiration."

Sketchbook
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ALEXANDRE da Vinci View Post
    hi friend, was seeing his studies and liked much of his studies of characters! Congratulations and keep working on top of your dash!

hugs
    Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there!
    I like your pen studies. Take a look here, I hope he'll inspire you as much as he did to me. Especially I like those head studies, they have a nice sense of depth. One thing that bugs me about this kind of study (I'm doing it myself too, but I'm outta scanners and photos so my sketchbook is abandoned), is that I fear it can reinforce this "hairy" style of linework that I try to fight with. Do you have an opinion on this?
    Your paintings look pretty solid to me (I'm no authority on this, but oh well), but they all have this digital, somewhat plastic feel, even with textures applied. I have this feeling that my eye doesn't stop anywhere, there's no flow to a focal point. Especially in this wedding paiting, people look like cutouts. I'm afraid I can't really point you to why I feel like this, but maybe it's about edges? There are mostly hard edges, and my eye is being pulled to every detail on your paitings. Maybe it's about color... Composition? I don't know for now
    Anyway, there's a lot of improvement going on here, keep going and experimenting with new mediums (media?)!

One last thing, please don't outline every tooth, it looks creepy. Maybe it's just me, though

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wowzers yer scare'n me with super awsome mega rrrrrrrrrrooooccccckkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!! An madd skill w/ the five person portrait sooo cool

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tmth: I know what you mean about the whole cut out thing but I been getting better about it. I think it had to do with contrast and the edges I choose.

Grandmassa Mr. Spect's : Thanks I still need a whole lot more training to do though.

Here are some more of my recent work.

Last edited by Ito Saith Webb; September 13th, 2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: adding pics

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Plus two more of my recent pieces. The psychedelic piece was a school assignment where we had to do a B/W line, form and textured piece, I added the bit of color in photoshop later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    grat stuff man, uve shown so much progress. I love how you can see the transition from straight undecided lines from the beggining pieces into more confident strokes in the sketches at the end. Keep up the good work man and keep drawing with ballpoint its the shisnet work on the hand of the girl at the end tho cause i love that piece!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good work here man, you're showing a good deal of progress. I came to check your sketchbook out after noticing a comment in the thread of your latest piece, about stiff models in Poser and what not. I REALLY recommend you hit some Bridgman studies in that case. Its a lot of work copying from his books, but you'll learn a lot about getting the shifting masses of the body to look more natural and it'll really inform your drawings even when using photo or 3D reference.

For your pieces on the whole, one thing I've noticed pretty consistently (save for the Yoda piece) is that you tend to hit the highlights really hard, something I used to do as well. Restraint dude, restraint! Try working dark to light. Even middle-out like you're doing does work fine, but try to keep your lightest light and darkest dark away from black and white for a while and save those accents for the end, in areas that you want to punch up and draw attention to. In the latest piece for instance, that girl's got highlights coming outta her ears. The tentacles are as bright as anything on her face, even though they're farther from the light source. Again, restrain those values and leave yourself some room to really punch things up at the end, and when you do, do so sparingly. Think about what you want the viewer to see first.

Keep up the good work man, and lets see some more of those studies.

-Sid

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Robz: Thanks, I have been getting better with each comp as of late and it is a fun ride. While sketching with a ball point has it advantages it often gets on the side of my hand so I have been sketch with Rapidograph pens as of late which I like except when they leak.

Sidharth Chaturvedi:
    Ya it is on my to do list but I have a long to do list and stuff often gets in the way of completing that list like school, family, finances, chores and sleep. I do try though. As for the highlight thing I might have gone a little overboard and as far as working dark to light I do that every time, it is the only way I know how to work. I think the problem is that I do underpaintings and go over with overlay layers which tends to lighten the piece to much I think and changes the values.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well my illustration professor wants us to keep an observation sketch book and to sketch in it as much as we can from what we see. So to make things challenging for me I am only sketching with a rapidograph pen and a white gel pen on brown toned sketch paper. The hardest part often is finding time to do the observational sketches because I travel by bike and bus, always doing other projects and or I am too exhausted to do anything but take a nap.

BTW sketching people that you don't want them to notice you sketching them is very hard, they move to blasted much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more sketches from my observation book. BTW anyone ever sketch while riding the bus? Let me tell ya that is one hat trick to do. I don't do it often because half the time I am standing up in the bus or the bus is way to crowded.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More pages from my observation book. Well part of my solution is to just find stuff around my room to draw, especially late at night.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another page from my observation book: That tree thing happened again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got some fantastic work in here! Your portraits are really well done, and I'd love to see those life drawings bigger. I really like the silhouettes you have going on your monster designs, lots of good variations. I'd love to see more! Keep posting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 1