If you have contributed art to this site could you spend a second looking at this th
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: If you have contributed art to this site could you spend a second looking at this th

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face If you have contributed art to this site could you spend a second looking at this th

Hi there to all you artists. I will make it brief. I am studying computer game design at university and in my final year and have decided on the title "The psychology behind concept art for games" and would like to ask a few questions. If you could be so kind to answer these questions the best you can. If a question seems confusing which it probably will just skip it.

1. Where does your inspiration come from?
    2. When you have a subject you want to draw. How do you go about planning your approach to the image?
    3. How would you personify "Good" in a character?
    4. How would you personify "Evil" in a character?
    5. When adding colour to you pictures do you think about the psychological side of the colour? ie "Colour Theory"
    6. What is the most important part of drawing a character when it comes to describing a characters personality. i.e eyes, body type, posture.
    7. Do you know of the psychology theories behind drawing and if so what ones do you find most useful and why?. i.e colour theory, iconography, semiotics, representation.
    8. What artistic style would you say your work falls under?
    9. Do you ever write out your ideas before you draw them, listing what sort of things you want to be portrayed in the character. If so what do you list
    10. How do you create realistic environments

11. If you have some work please put a link so i can reference them.

12. Anything else you would like to add.

thank you for your time if you have filled in some questions as i said these are just a few quick questions to get the ball rolling so i know where i need to be focusing my research.

Fak3

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there Fak. Youíre putting the cart before the horse. Whom do you want to answer these questions: game designers? Game concept artists? Game artists (3D modeler/texturers)? Illustrators? Art students?

Also, you say that you are studying game design, but you are asking questions that make it unclear if you know the difference between game art and game design. Has your school taught you the difference between these two things? (If not, consider asking for a refund.)

There is a link in my sig to information on the games industry. Please read it.

Iíve spent six years as a modeler/texturer and one year as a game designer at a game company called Turbine, so Iíll take a crack at the more relevant questions:

1. If I need to come up with a creative solution to a problem and if it doesnít just come to me, I walk laps around the building while my brain sifts through its accumulated mental junk.

2. I do very little drawing for my job. These days, I occasionally draw a map before crafting a landscape. I plan by focusing on the different points-of-interest and regions that the area must include, and I figure out where to put barriers so as to route players to and from those areas in the most fun manner possible.

3. I did make monsters a few years back, but Iíve never really worked with characters.

5. The psychology of color and color theory are two different things. But to address your question in the context of games, I use color when lighting and placing decorations, and I make use of both the psychological effects of color, and of color theory (which is the technical route to making the colors look eye-pleasing and correct together.)

7. I donít much draw for my job, but I can draw. Drawing, for me, is all about practical steps, not theories. Does this image adequately represent the subject and emotion that I want it to? Is the composition visually strong? Is the drawing style clean? Will this drawing be as strong when recreated in oil paint?

8. Are you asking about my personal work or the work that I do at Turbine? Game artists are required make art that matches the style of the game they are working on.

9. Sometimes I will begin crafting a dungeon by writing up a document about it, or scribbling out a diagram with notes.

10. In oil paints? For a game? If for a game, as an artist, or as a game designer? Also, why do you ask about realism? Many games have non-realistic environments.

11. My personal work can be seen at www.dragonlaugh.com . My game work can be seen at www.turbine.com , primarily in Dungeons and Dragons Online. (If itís a landscape, I probably made it.)

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1. I love building things and growing things, but I don't have the resources for either. I always daydream about seeding and building up my own world, so I just do it with art.
    2. I think about it for awhile, until I get an image in my head- sort of like photographic memory but photographic imagination. But sometimes I just make things up as I go along, solving technical problems. Sometimes form goes before function, sometimes function before form.
    3. I usually don't.
    4. I usually don't. Good vs. evil isn't a big theme in my work.
    5. Yes, I do, but usually mood doesn't play a huge role in my stuff.
    6. I would say both posture and body type, but I think their facial expression is the most important. Often my figures aren't very defined gender-wise, and they're defined by what they're doing more than anything (rarely just sitting, often operating a machine or something)
    7. I don't like to express psychological concepts as much as technical ones, and don't like to use symbols. I want my things to be unrecognizable culturally. I do, however, use machines or strange life forms to make an enclosing feeling.
    8. Sci-fi.
    9. Nope, that's stored in a text file with the mental image.
    10. It varies- I use a lot of different mediums I suppose.

11. While I've put work up here (especially in a sketchbook), none is a good example of what I like to do on my own time. They're almost all exercises or school assignments so they don't define me very well.

12. I'm really frustrated because I have so many ideas and hardly have any examples of one of these ideas actually carried out to the end, just a bunch of started work. Also I'm not a professional so I don't know if you're looking for my opinion...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the replies so far. I know what i was saying was a bit vague and my english often poor dreading writing my final year project cause im more creative then literate. At the moment im just looking into general concept art to get a grasp of it and then will be focusing mainly on game concept art. As i did mention some of the questions are a bit naff but i could not find a good way to word some of them but the info gathered so far is good.

thanks to all the replied

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your English is wonderful, Fak. Good luck with your research.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1. As many different things as I can possibly draw it from.
    2. Vaguely, to be honest! I'm not yet good enough to go from what I have in mind to a finished product and know exactly how it will turn out.
    3. A variety of elements, emotion, colour, action, etc. A quick metaphor is have a child beside him/her but metaphors are endless.
    4. Same answer as above but with alot more pointy things and less cute babies.
    5. Somewhat, right now I deal more with colour triads and the technical side of it. So much that I think I lose sight of the emotional!
    6. I think it is all equally important.
    7. Same answer as above.
    8. Illustrative
    9. I describe the character, and the scene. The process mostly helps me get a better visual image in my mind before I start.
    10. Perspective, atmosphere, design, metaphor, colour, the list goes on...

11. Click on my sketchbook!

Good luck Fak, I hope you take our answers and research further into it and go further into the past.

[][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.