Sketchbook: My First Post

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My First Post

Thanks

My First Post

Name:  Thumbnailtest.jpg
Views: 2490
Size:  135.3 KB
    (only 4 thumbnail)

Hi there

This is my first post here;

Im a student at the Games Academy in Berlin (Germany) and studying
    3D Art& Animation. A few days ago we had our first real lesson of Concept Art with Kan Muftik alias Chupacabra (who is a really kewl guy). I showed him my concepts and he encouraged me to post them here. All this awesome work that is posted here everyday kept me from showing my low level concepts so far.

There are a variety of different courses at our school and our main subject is the student project. We find ourself in groups and develop a little computergame over the time of 3 semesters. These groups include students from the courses 3D Art & Animation, Producing and 3D Programming. In my team my main job is doing the concept arts for our Project: Holmgang. Holmgang will be a multiplayer hack and slay game that takes place in the world of the norse mythology right after the Ragnarök.

I hope you guys see all the terrible mistakes i did while drawing the concepts to give me a lot of crits and tips what i should practice to improve.

here come the Holgang concepts

moodboard for our viking village at night

deep woods

a riverbed in the woods

inspired by thomas moran an illustration for the start of the game

chiefden

some things that had to be concepted outside of the chiefden

the place where you ressurect. its a little shrine in the shadow of a little mountain, where a valkyrie statue with a shiny shield reflects some remaining lightrays to the spot where the players respawn.

Pieces of ruins for our cave

an earlier concept where we discussed about an abandoned old mine as a final dungeon

i made a design for the midgard serpent in order to use it to design further things like ornaments, statues, a dungeon etc

this is where the game starts

thank you for looking at the whole post

i hope i didnt make that many spelling mistakes

till next post then and thanks in advance for any comments

Last edited by Piecemaker; May 16th, 2008 at 03:18 PM. Reason: need a thumbnail image
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    You got some nice paintings there. My only advice for you would be: Practice more, not just drawing/painting, but try to do some studies, anatomy studies, composition, all these things that i felt that are missing on your sketchbook.

You got some nice colors, and that king on the throne is very nice. Just practice some anatomy and you'll see huge improvements! Nice start!

Thanks
    wow already a replay now that was fast

thanks very much

unfortunately my classes concentrate on modelling but we have anatomy lessons and some sculpturing as well. Kan also recommended me to train way more on anatomy. Guess thats a good start
    i already made some character concepts for our lil game which ill post next then

so long

Piecemaker

Thanks

sorry

arrg i see i should have used the attachment manager. sorry for that

Thanks
    here are some more concepts. right now i can only show you my digital stuff cos i dont have a scanner in reach. some of them though were drawn on paper and scanned afterwards (i had a scanner back then). crits welcome (and needed i think)
    something is wrong with every char

ok the last had to be an environment

Attached Images Attached Images                      

Thanks
    You have some great textures in those speedpaints. I'm really digging the lighting and atmosphere in the environments.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to darthneko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thanks man

i still got a major problem with anatomy. when i get my hands on a scanner ill post some anatomie studies.

c ya

Thanks
    Piecemaker, hello there! I just managed to delete my reply so once again in less words :-)

Great colours and strokes which make your environmental paintings perfectly deep and give them stunning atmosphere. I love your environments and don't see anything to criticize on them.

However, there are some persons in your env artworks, which I don't like so much. Let's have a look at VikingVillageClose.jpg with old man holding rail in foreground. He seems to be flat (problem of most of chars in environment which aren't whole black) and smudged. He's in foreground so he should be sharp and less flat.. I think that it's because of missing highlights, low contrast on him.

There's also second set mainly with characters. They are great, but have a look at their feet. I think that the foot further of viewer should be smaller, it should work like perspective in your environmens! Study more anathomy, as people said before and maybe try a few perspective of human body studies.

Keep going, your work is wonderful, I wish I could paint as great as you!

Last edited by Jonish; January 13th, 2008 at 05:15 PM. Reason: added some informations
    Strange powers drag you through the black tunnel until you see mysterious Book of Void awaiting you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonish For This Useful Post:

Thanks

thx dude

thanks for your repley Jonish. yeah anatomy anatomy anatomy. good thing i think. luckily the next things i have to draw for our game are some humanoid monsters. the one feet smaller yes:-) one of the things that made me say ''umm something looks wrong'' i guess. thanks for the advice.
    here are two more speedies from the DSG threads i wanted to add here:

the first one is a
    Sci-Fantasy: MECHANICAL SOLDIER WORMS MADE TRENCH WARFARE THAT MUCH WORSE

the second one is a
    Creature: SABRE-EYED, STRETCH-SKULLED, BLEACH-SKINNED, BEAR-BEAST

Thanks
    Hallo there!
    I like the story in your paintings.
    What you definitely have to work at is:
    colors relations, color harmonies,saturation, hue, value... and edges!

Keep it going!

Xaya

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Xaya For This Useful Post:

Thanks

thx 4 repley

thanks xaya
    that are a lot of tips. do you know a good exercise to get a better feeling for colors? my drawings always tend to become way too 'glowy' and 'unreal'.

c ya

Thanks
    As far as anatomy studies go - you should just find nude models online and start examining the relationships between the different parts of the body. Then you could try to go in and layer on their clothing. Maybe because most of your chars are men you could look up body builders and see the way the muscles bend back into the body and how fat develops on the body.

I just got out of a figure drawing class and i absolutely LOVED it! If you could find a friend to lay around in some spandex that would probably create the same feel, although a nude model really helps

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DesignsbyJD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i like your dark gritty style man, i was wondering how you got the texture of the rocks, on the inside shots of the caves. looks like elephant skin or something. nice work indeed.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to XCNTNLX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah i know what help you!
    Do studies of all kind, enviromental one (from photos or other artists), figurative (what colors are needed for pale skin, light/shadow, etc.), material (machines, what makes metal to metal? etc.)
    The thing is it is quite hard to do something you actually don´t really now how it looks like and behaves.
    When i was a about 13 i drew eyes thousend times and more, but all imaginary. After years i improved of course, but as i did my first studies of anatomy and eyes all what i did before looked like crap and nonsense.
    So do a lot of ref. stuff, use this knowledge in imaginary works and you will improve like hell!

Xaya

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Xaya For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh and i forgot, learning things like i said above is one thing, another one is the usage. So also experiment with brushes, layers etc., because sometimes it is quite hard to imitate a material, e.g. stone, with just a round brush....

Xaya

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Xaya For This Useful Post:

bakatron is offline toronto blue jays fan... i'm serious.... stop laughing at me okay??
    Thanks
    woah! i especially love your midgard serpent.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to bakatron For This Useful Post:

Thanks

a post

Hi there

DesignsbyJD
    thank you very much for your advice but isnt it hard to find nudity on the web? err joke:-)
    a former student in my course suggested i should carry a sketchbook with me and draw the persons i c on the tram when i get to school and back. i tried but i always felt kinda embarassed to observe someone the whole time. i just today got my hands on Burne Hogarth anatomy book which is supposed to eventually be the best anatomybook there is (many thanks to Olli who bestowed this book to me).
    Xaya
    Thanks for your all help. ill use more reference especially for training purposes from now on. in a few days (birthday ) ill get a new screen so i ll be able to display a ref picture on my right hand side and work on the left screen with photoshop. ill post my reftraining then.
    XCNTNLX
    thanks for your repley. the insides of the caves i first paintied in greytones and the i used the layermode: overlay a few times with some of the rock textures (deformed and warped via strg+T) from cgtextures.com under textures-stone-rock-layered(they are free)
    bakatron
    thanks. the midgard serpent was supposed to be some kind of a dragon but so long that it entwins around the whole world midgard. As it was described to life underwater i thought some kind of anglerfish - deepsea nightmare more appropriate. When the dungeon is finished (modelled by a very talented comrade) ill try to post a screenshot or so.
    Today i got lessons all day long but i was able to painting something during lessons. its mainly an info for our leveldesigner how to define the ways the character can walk through the forrest full of roots.
    again i hope my spelling isnt too embarrassing

here it is:

Thanks
    Hey dude,

From now on, everything will be different. Listen carefully to what people say here, most of them know what they're talking about.
    Was great fun teaching in your school.
    Gruesse an den Rest der Gang,
    Khan

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Kan Muftić For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thanks kan, ill do my best. just got the Burne Hogarth book which ill work from next. and i will try to use the colorlayer to colorize my next bw painting. ich hoffe wir ham dich bald wieder und dann workshoppen wir DIGITAL:-)

grüsse an die füsse nach brighton

Thanks

next try

i messed up with the attachment manager so here is my next try.

some doodles with the custom brushes from the tutorial: speedpainting to concept

and some quick sketches

hmm someshow the attached images are not directly shown. did i do something wrong?!?

edit: now they work thanks to taven

thanks for any help and crit of course

Name:  SciFiSpeed2.jpg
Views: 2204
Size:  169.3 KB

Name:  SciFiSpeedpainting3.jpg
Views: 2154
Size:  170.6 KB

Name:  hw.jpg
Views: 2130
Size:  118.5 KB

Last edited by Piecemaker; January 26th, 2008 at 10:30 AM. Reason: i now know how the attachment manager worx

Thanks
    Thanked 1,018 Times in 370 Posts
    I don't think you messed up the attatchment manager I'm having the same problem as of today. The last two environments were a step forwards. How do you do the clean curves on the sci fi structures?

The figure drawings aren't on the same level but keep studying Hogarth and they will improve with time.

Thanks

hi

thanks for your repley. i hope the pics will be displayed then later. the curves are a big brush that jitters around until i find that i see some structure in it. ill post some envis next. anatomy is no easy task

c ya

Thanks

Dsg

again from the sketchgroup
    Sci-Fi: HULKING MILITARY ROBOT IS UNLOADED FROM DROP-SHIP AT DOCK PLATFORM

a bit wild i suppose

Thanks

a new envi

I tried to colorize this thing with a very color-rich palette from a classic painting. mostly to get used to the colors layer. hmm i guess ill have to train harder:-)

this attached Images/thumbnails is still not working for me
    any tips?

Name:  RuinsFarmstead.jpg
Views: 2133
Size:  200.7 KB

Last edited by Piecemaker; January 24th, 2008 at 05:58 PM. Reason: i now know how to make my pics show up:-)

Thanks

new stuff

Next piece from the DSG

the Task was:
    Sci-Fi: NEW CONSTRUCTION VEHICLE IS AFFECTIONATELY DUBBED THE "T-REX"

the T rex small arms reminded me of 2001 a space odyssey's EVA Pods

looks a bit weird i think

Crits always welcome and has anyone an idea why all my last pics are only linked and not shown?

Thanks Taven now it works

Name:  SketchTrex.jpg
Views: 2077
Size:  151.2 KB

Last edited by Piecemaker; January 24th, 2008 at 05:54 PM. Reason: the image is not showing up

Thanks
    Yeah, for the attachments after attaching as normal you click the paper clip and click "insert all".

If that's not clear, go to the Lounge, and the Intro thread's first page for steps with pictures.

Oh, and nice art. Too lazy for Constructive Criticism at the moment, but I'll try to get back to you.

Constructive Criticism welcomed at My Sketchbook!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Taven For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Again a DSG sketch:

Environment: NATURAL FEATURE OF DIRT AND ROOTS RISES OUT OF WINDSWEPT PLAIN

didnt bother to give it color as i started to dislike my picture once i felt that i skrewed up the shape of the root-temple.

Name:  Templetree.jpg
Views: 2178
Size:  209.4 KB

Thanks

back

hi there

im back with a new speed envi. a mountainpass mostly done with m@'s custom brush set. i made it in high resolution and chaged image size afterwards to save it for web. then i clicked on save by mistake and lost my high def picture

Name:  Mountainpath2.jpg
Views: 1996
Size:  323.7 KB

Thanks
    Hey Piecemaker! Great thread yo got here, some of these are really good and I dig them a lot.
    I'm a bit tired atm so I'm having trouble to find usefull stuff to say, however, I would recomend you to work har don your anatomy though. Your enviros look cool, but when you do portraits they don't seem to reach the same level of knowledge as in your other work. Study anatomy and make notes all the time. Bring you sketchbook along and such. I'd love to see some pencil sketches in here.
    This one is dynamite - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...6&d=1201394573
    Keep it up!
    tiger

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Tigermilk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thanks for your repley tigermilk

anatomy is what im woking on right now. ill try to get my hands on a scanner to post some pencil sketches. apart from that ill post a newer PS character tomorrow.

here is an old fine-liner sketch that i scanned some time ago (colored in PS).

hey at least it once wasnt digital

Name:  IMG_0001-Color.jpg
Views: 1943
Size:  231.2 KB

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.