Any excuses to upgrade from PS7?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Any excuses to upgrade from PS7?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Any excuses to upgrade from PS7?

I'm trying to decide if I can be bothered to acquire and learn CS3, but I've no idea if there's any nifty new features to justify it. I use an okayish PC, my images aren't really trying for any kind of stunning realism (see below), I'm not pro so compatability isn't an issue. Do you guys think it's worth the effort?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    : :
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    None of the versions since 7 have been particularly dramatic upgrades, especially from the standpoint of digital painting.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update man... we are in 2008 now....

Quote Originally Posted by MIKECORRIERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! View Post
    hmmmm, it's hard for me to sign in

--MUCH LOVE TO MassiveDVD--

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, CS3 extended would be good for a 3D modeler since of its new features is importing a 3D object. But... if you're not doing 3D, and PS 7 still works for you, with no problems, then I see no reason for you upgrade.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone. I guess if 3D objects are importable, there's reasonable vector support? Working with vectors is something I'd really quite like to try out, but the thought of noobing around in Illustrator is a little daunting. Maybe it is 2008, maybe it is time to upgrade...

: :

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tried out CS3. My opinion: bloated. Being able to import 3d files into a layer: not as cool as I thought it was going to be. Feel free to prove me wrong but importing hi res poly files chugs Photoshop in your computer too, right? It's only good I think for lo poly models. Texture mapping? I'd still stick with zbrush's zapplink or bodypaint.

I'm coming from one who just uses Photoshop primarily for painting illustrations, so the new features might make more sense and usefulness to graphic designers or matte painters (like with the smart object layers for example).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there's one huge thing for me with the PS versions past 7, and that was/is the ability to move the canvas around on the screen in the fullscreen viewing mode which you get to by pressing "F" (dunno what that feature is called, it's been around forever)

in 7 the image would be flush with the bottom/top corners of the screen which made painting in the corners annoying, but now you can move the canvas around wherever you want it on the screen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nethus View Post
    there's one huge thing for me with the PS versions past 7, and that was/is the ability to move the canvas around on the screen in the fullscreen viewing mode
    YAY! someone at last agrees with me. i had CS2 and then i tried working on PS7 but oh man! what a difference this feature makes. so much easier...

cool is not cool anymore

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love that you can Zoom in to the corners of the file and pan that corner to the middle of your work area. new to cs1 i believe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yup.. that's what makes it for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a question thats relevant to this thread. I've seen people use a transform function that plots several points over the image - not just at the corners - to give more control over warping things. It would be useful sometimes in digital painting for correcting proportions. Or for thumbnail generation. Which version added this?

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Burtzum View Post
    I have a question thats relevant to this thread. I've seen people use a transform function that plots several points over the image - not just at the corners - to give more control over warping things. It would be useful sometimes in digital painting for correcting proportions. Or for thumbnail generation. Which version added this?
    I'm not sure, but I think warp mode came in with CS2.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i used to be strict PS7 user for few years who recently switched to CS2, I was avoiding it for a long time, but here's what convinced me:

* warp tool - can't say how much i love it, useful for so many things
    * some brushes - well, some are cs+ only, since there came some more options with it (for example for brushes used with smudge tool).. as for regular ones - i used to convert them in CS2 and import to PS7, but it just takes too much time..
    * grouping layers with shift and merging them (much more convenient than old system)

+ some other convenient and fixed issues with navigation, good filter browser etc..

the downside is still, for me, PS7 is the fastest and most stable Photoshop version I've ever used (and I had an occasion to work on all CS ones).

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.