Critque me?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Critque me?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Critque me?

So, uh, I spend a lot of time "drawing" in Photoshop. I don't think I'm setting any gold standards technically, but I feel like I'm getting to a point where I'm finding my own style and stuff. Anyhoo, here's what I've been up to the last month or so; is it interesting? Promising? Embarrassing? I'm colour-blind, so I try and stay in my depth with simple clour schemes. Is that cohesive or just bland? Are montages like these a bit rubbish? Would I be better of just trying to learn how to draw? Let me know!

Attached Images Attached Images      
    : :
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 730 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Cool. I like them. The third is particularly strong. I think they could stand to have the figurative part a little more explicit -- especially the first two. I mean a leeetle more drawing and a little less abstraction.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing's rubbish if you enjoy it!

These have a nice "graphic design" feel to them. I certainly like them... also drawn to figurative work, so I like the 3rd one best.

My bias as an illustrator is that everyone should learn to draw better... but that's a bias. The question you need to ask yourself is what do you want out of your work? If you enjoy the design/texture aspect the most, go with it. If you feel bored or unsatisfied, maybe try practicing the drawing aspect more. And that really is just a matter of practice.

"Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The third one is by far the best, because it actually has a cohesive main subject. Sketchy and abstract is all well and good, but what really makes a piece is a subject. That beautiful swan amid the somewhat chaos of the piece provides an anchor for the viewer's eyes. The others, while good, are difficult to make out from the clutter. I like them though.

How did you create that gritty effect in the first one? It looks great!

-Dread_Reaper

Dread_Reaper's (HORRIBLY OUTDATED) Book of Darkness and Stuff

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119607

Current Threads:

DIABLO III fan art
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=275543

Also check out my new website!

http://nickgilliland.daportfolio.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone, it's really great to get some feedback that isn't from dA or my mom. It's actually been really helpful. Umm, I'm kind drawn to depicting quiet or empty spaces (it's why a lot of my things have birds as subjects, I can't imagine disturbing a scene by adding people), but I guess more attention to the subject could enhance the space around it. Can't wait for this shift to end so I can get home and try working on something a little less busy.

Dread Reaper, it's a bit lame really, but I just trawl Mayang's texture site and blend layers till I stumble on an okay looking combniation. And I never delete compositions that aren't working, sometimes you can flatten them, add them in to whatever you're working on, and get a little unexpected texture. Like grattage using crappy aborted woodcuts.

: :

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.