Just got myself Painter X. Tutorial?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Just got myself Painter X. Tutorial?

I recently won Painter X (thanks Corel) and it now up and ready in my computer.

I never used Painter before, except maybe a couple of times in the end of '90s. I'm a bit familiar with the canvas now, but the many many features is a bit scary to learn.

Been using Photoshop for a decade, it feel very different and very unintuitive to use Corel (altougth the program got nicier after 10 years), but I realize Painter have a lot of potential in creating effects and textures, I am attracted to this. I am following some bits of Andrew Jones videos but he is a bit skippy about how he use some of his tools because he is so experienced in it.

So I am looking for good tutorial to start with. I might be answering my own question but, is the tutorial (the big book) is ok to start with? Or you recommend me to get a more advanced/straight to the point tutorial?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JonZ_ View Post
    I recently won Painter X (thanks Corel) and it now up and ready in my computer.

I never used Painter before, except maybe a couple of times in the end of '90s. I'm a bit familiar with the canvas now, but the many many features is a bit scary to learn.

Been using Photoshop for a decade, it feel very different and very unintuitive to use Corel (altougth the program got nicier after 10 years), but I realize Painter have a lot of potential in creating effects and textures, I am attracted to this. I am following some bits of Andrew Jones videos but he is a bit skippy about how he use some of his tools because he is so experienced in it.

So I am looking for good tutorial to start with. I might be answering my own question but, is the tutorial (the big book) is ok to start with? Or you recommend me to get a more advanced/straight to the point tutorial?
    Hey Jonz,

Pretty much. The video wiki has some great ways of understanding Painter's workspace and interface: http://wikivid.com/index.php/Painter

I found this link pretty handy too to see what the brushes look like:
    http://apps.corel.com/painterx/us/es...hes_guide.html

My personal favorites are oils, scratchboard, and a modified digital watercolor brush.

I think the first week or so after you learn the interface will probably be this phase of customizing brushes. It's like once you learn what each brush and method does you start experimenting. It's after that phase you start really learning how to paint.

Please note that Painter's opacities are nothing like Photoshop's and will frustrate you at first.

I find Painter's more natural due to the fact I don't like the "freeze" in opacity that happens in Photoshop, if I apply more pressure I expect a harder brush stroke, or more paint.

I also found that adjusting the resaturation makes more sense than an opacity change.

I'd also say Brush tracking is important to Painter too.

Also if you have Painter X please get it patched, http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...=1166553885920

Hope that helps?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man, I love you. Those video seems to be very good. Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.