View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: UPDATE 2/10

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

UPDATE 2/10

howdy,

Ive been checking out this site for the past month or so and as Im sure is the standard phenomena for newbies, its inspired and ignited my art engines. So Im picking up my weapons of choice, dusting off my tablet and getting my slacker art arse into gear. Hope to meet many fellow concept artists and make some lasting connections as Ive been out of the game for longer than I care to admit.

so without further ado, my first post, the first of many.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by smokenmirrors; February 10th, 2012 at 07:11 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to CA.org sketchbook land. Awesome first post man, looking forward to more.

SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good first post mister, now you have to put up more sketches and studies of fiqure. i will be waiting for them

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the welcome Matsign. Feels good to get back into the game. And Mister Nettle_Mountain, I certainly wont keep you waiting long . Alright here we go: I figured itd be best to post some of my old work to better gauge my progress in this field of supreme artistic athleticism. These are a mixture of acrylic and oil paintings from story I tinkered with writing in college.... they are about 4 years old or so.. :/ as I mentioned before... its been far too long. Hope you enjoy.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smokenmirrors For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alrighty, heres some more things along the lines of "sketch" again...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to smokenmirrors For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    annnnnnd heres some more current scribbles, mostly ball point. And for those that arent digging the traditional mediums ie: pencil and ballpoint pen... dont trip, I got some PS stuff in the works... slow coming though, but I suppose thats the whole point of practice!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to smokenmirrors For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 917 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice drawings your characters are very bold and give off alot of strength

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah really nice drawings, you got skill! good to hear you're getting back into it, you can certainly draw very well. Look forward to the next update mate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice stuffs in here mate, I really enjoy some of the more exaggerated faces you've got going here. This one http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1199925202

has a really nice atmosphere to it and nice choice of colours, very pro looking. Your pencils are kicking man, I am impressed.
    The only crit I feel like I can give you at the moment is that I wish you would refine and polish some of your paintings. They look good but they would really be wicked if they felt a little more unified in colours and more worked on.

Take a look at Paul Bonner for example, I think you would dig him if you do not already.

Cheers man, keep sharing

Vicious Pineapples
    Come, critique our art and help us grow!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow -- really cool stuff. The finished pieces are great, and I like how whatever you draw, it's always SOMETHING. Like it has a purpose. I'm trying to do more of that myself, instead of a bunch of random heads and bodies. I'd like to see a bit more in the way of environments. My only real crit is that some of your anatomy could use some work, but it'll come with time. Keep it up!

ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"
    - _andreas_ - brunopicinini - funfetus - Suarezart -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have some serious nice character designs here! So confident and efficient strokes! boy, is this nice or what?
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1199928163

I'll keep an eye on this thread. I think there are going to be some more serious nice art here!

best
    Henning

Henning Sanden

- Portfolio

- Sketchbook

henning.sanden[at]gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OmertA: thanks, glad you like.

Mr. Gadebury: and it is good to be getting back in the thick of it. This forum helps like nothing else... wish I found it earlier. None the less, onward I go.

Buckster: Glad you like some of my mark makin' and Yeah I have seen Paul Bonners work, and its insane, so much detail and almost all watercolor..... Definately a source of inspiration. The paintings I posted are some oldies, but Ill be sure to keep your crit in mind for my new pieces no doubt.

funfetus: thinking of characters in a setting with a story really helps me crank them out vs. just the random squiggle. But it can go either way Ie: random squiggle merging into a story. either or, Im glad you got a kick outta them. And anatomy is always a work in progress: but bear in mind that all of the above was without reference.

Guilemo: thanks man! I had fun doing that one. I got some similar character/creatures coming up with the digital tool belt so hopefully they wont dissapoint.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff, good pencil skills *envy*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Some very cool sketches in here I first saw those little landscape sketches, which I really liked. The little tree against the blue background is actually my favourite somehow.

Your character work is also great, some of those pen sketches really make an impact (love the troll/ork/goblin ones especially). However, a recurring problem in the anatomy I noticed is that you tend to make the arms too long. Some almost reach to their knees. Some other anatomy issues as well, but as you said, it's an ongoing progress

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres a couple PS studies... just trying to get the hang of it... sketch and paint start to finish in photoshop with my tablet. Ive been exploring custom brushes in my later studies (will show later) and textures.... so much to learn... ugh.

both from ref. by the by.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel ya, it's been awhile for me since I got the led out. You seem to have got somethin' back though...You ever think of how good you would be now if you never stopped?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mythwork: yeah.... Ive certainly wondered where Id be if I took care of bizness the whole time instead of wandering away from the grind stone, but theres no use in wondering what if and beating myself up for my slackerage anymore ... Ive done enough guilt trip/ listened to " if I had your talent..." talks to last a lifetime. So Im just looking forward, with the wisdom of my mistakes, and hitting the art trail hard! No time like the present!

heres a WIP... its full body... but Im digging the face so some crop'ola you get, lil art tease

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi. Thanks for visiting my sketchbook. I figured I'd return the favor.
    I think this stuff is great; especially the linework.

Your color stuff sometimes feels a little bit muddy to me. It could be a preference thing too though, as its very different than what I'm used to doing. Your two studies from reference look great, but I was thinking that the nude carries a little bit too much yellow. I don't usually do this and I hope its not overstepping a line but I was wondering what it would look like if I made a quick color adjustment in PS. I just pulled it a little bit toward red. Not that either are wrong or right, again probably just a preference thing.

Awesome work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason Borne: not overstepping at all. and Yes I agree the slide towards red looks mighty more natural. But then again, I suppose thats all relative to the lighting. I definately have loads to learn when it comes to tweaking my colors, theres no doubt about it.

Alright heres the full WIP of the above face... soooo slow in learning all the tools/shortcuts of this photoshop turn table, but Im getting there... its certainly doesnt help, that I really didnt nail down any details either in my initial sketch, but I suppose by making mistakes freely... best way to learn.

anyway, Ive got loads of detailing/rendering/coloring left on this, and definately want to mess around with textures and the whole nine, so any ideas are welcome before I start really tightening this mofo up.

Last edited by smokenmirrors; January 16th, 2008 at 12:11 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i want to start hitting up the CHOW on a regular basis, so I scratched up some sketches for the spanish high inquisitor... hopefully Ill be able to finish in time.... being the slow motion of my digital prowess as of yet, but with any luck and lessons learned so far, Ill make the deadline...

Last edited by smokenmirrors; February 2nd, 2008 at 01:42 AM. Reason: edit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    threw down some paint... tones son, tones.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy balls, what an excellent start up to a sketchbook.

despite "being out of the game" for a while, you don't seem to have lost much of your skill... I guess you're just one of those naturally gifted individuals... I hate you (not really). but seriously, you have an excellent character design: both your anatomy and proportions seem really accurate, not to mention some of your early paintings have a nice composition on the page. Really, the only thing I can see that needs work are your colors (and that could just be a matter of calibrating your screen) and do more environmental pieces.

I'm totally looking forward to what you post next. Congrats, you've inspired me.

Boho

ps... you get some bling!

GUILD OF CALAMITOUS INTENT
    - BohemianChaos - | - Jska -
    Check out our sexy sketchbooks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BohemianChaos: Thanks alot! and yes I certainly plan on jumping on my color game.....but in the meantime: grayscale is the ish'! another session...wip detail

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are ace man, really nice sense of form and contrast. I enjoy your characters and renderings as well. I am sure that you will later but anyway, throw in some light in your latest piece man, it will pop and rock.

Cheers

Vicious Pineapples
    Come, critique our art and help us grow!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lil study from ref. Im going to try and keep a steady flow of some armor studies from all across the globe... samurai's are always good game.

Last edited by smokenmirrors; January 20th, 2008 at 05:18 PM. Reason: addit. info

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    anybody know why my last couple of attachments dont load up as only an image icon and not the full thumb??? Ive been using the attachment manager just the same as my previous posts... hmmm.... anyway, I went ahead and posted my chow #101! Although I didnt get anywhere near what I had originally planned, but completely my fault as I didnt allocate the proper time frame to kick it into polished gear. None the less, I thought it came out pretty fresh, and i might just go ahead and finish it to the level I had originally planned. hmm.... well, what I wouldve added: engravings on the armor/weapon + metal texture, embroidery on the cloth and of course COLOR!!!! perhaps next time Ill just start coloring right at the get go, instead of getting carried away with the grayscale. All that said and done, it was fun and I was glad to post something instead of nothing.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to smokenmirrors For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow amazing art! I admir your talent!
    Keep more stuff!
    Ciao

P.S: The forum is under maintenance and this is a problem for all of us, if you look in other SB you can see it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dreamworker: thanks for compliments and the technical heads up, I suppose the issue will eventually resolve itself... fingers crossed.

here just a quick sketch on the tablet, Im working on speed and being able to communicate more with less.... bold strokes/line weight and the like... hmmmm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic start to your sketchbook. Man, I love all the sketches and drawings you got here. Your drawings skills digitally will improve in no time if you keep it up.

Right now this is my fave from you- http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1199925202

keep it coming! you got alot of great stuff here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trashy: compliments are always appreciated. Better than milk! Furthermore to Practice! practice practice practice!

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2